Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #71

Interesting thread. Until we bought our new coach with 2 bathrooms, I didn’t realize that there is more than one type of RV toilet and waste system. We used to have the standard gravity toilet located over the holding tank where time, water and chemicals would break down the solids before dumping. Now we have Vacuflush macerating toilets and waste system, that macerates everything before it even gets to the holding tank, so no solids ever in the tank to build up. A completely different set of issues to be concerned with, though. Our tank fills in about half the time, the macerator uses a lot of water.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #72

Not to stir up any more comments but I usually don't hook up the slinky until dump day and then immediately return to storage when thru. I've had issues with line trimmers nicking my hose (not a pretty sight to see the resulting sprinkler) and I've stayed in an RV park in Colorado where the local critters (bears) ripped open 20+ slinky hoses one night looking for food (bacon grease / fish?).......and replacing that many hoses in REMOTE Colorado took days and hundreds of miles!
Arkydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #73

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up tank flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I never drain my black tank unless it is completely full. More often than not I have to add water to fill the tank. The additional pressure created by a full tank will aid in forcing solids from the tank. I call it the "Whoosh" effect.
After draining the tank I refill it with clear water and dump it again. I will continue to do this until I see clear water passing through the clear plastic coupler I have hooked up to the tank discharge fitting. Once I'm satisfied the tank is clean I close the valve and add at least 4 gallons of water to the tank to keep the tank bottom wet.
You will never get a complete tank flush by leaving the black tank valve open and running water through the toilet into the tank. The water will just trickle down and run around any solids left in the tank. The sides of the tank will not get wet so any clogged sensors will not get cleaned off.
Lynn
Exactly……. Dumping the black tank I always fill and drain twice, if time, I’ve done three. Even at that I have seen some small pieces of paper ect. STILL showing up. That valve that a lot of us have that’s labeled TANK FLUSH, should be labeled FILL to FLUSH cus that’s all it does.
rocket051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:47 PM   #74

If you are leaving your black tank drain valve open, I guarantee you have a build up of crap in that tank. While experience may be the best teacher, there's no harm in learning from others experience.
Bunky Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #75

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie. View Post
I always open the gray tank dump valve first for a few seconds. I would much rather deal with a leak from the gray tank than the black tank.
Good advice.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #76

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
One thing I do that I've found works pretty well is on travel days, after dumping, get a couple gallons of water in the black tank and dump a bag of ice down the toilet. The cubes sort of slosh around and scrape any leftovers then they melt.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:40 PM   #77

Washer and dryer added to my fifth wheel

I have a question as a fairly new fifth wheel owner. I just had a washer and dryer installed in my Jayco Pinnacle fifth wheel. The installing dealer said to always leave my grey tank valve open if connected to a sewer connection in a cg. He stated that if I didn’t there was a good chance my rv could flood. Sounds reasonable to me but....all the time open? Why not when just using the washing machine? Just want to know if there is an answer from more experienced rv’ers and what they do......
Jxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxfire View Post
I have a question as a fairly new fifth wheel owner. I just had a washer and dryer installed in my Jayco Pinnacle fifth wheel. The installing dealer said to always leave my grey tank valve open if connected to a sewer connection in a cg. He stated that if I didn’t there was a good chance my rv could flood. Sounds reasonable to me but....all the time open? Why not when just using the washing machine? Just want to know if there is an answer from more experienced rv’ers and what they do......
Before we start a load of laundry I drain the grey tank. After the laundry is done I empty again so we are ready for showers. I have a separate tank for the sinks and the washer and shower share another tank.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxfire View Post
I would believe the installer was covering his own butt. What he is telling you is if your grey water tank was 1/2 full and you didn't open the valve to drain the tank your tank could overflow and flood.
By telling you to keep the valve open he is sure you won't have a flood condition lessening his liability.
Personally I would leave the valve closed until I wanted to run the washer at which time I would open the valve.
Even grey tanks can have a buildup of sediment and food particles if water is just allowed to run out slowly. This can cause a stink nearly as bad and sometimes worse than the black tank odor. You can also experience some bad odors coming back up through the tank drain line and going out your roof vent.
Lynn
Old 05-13-2019, 03:44 PM   #80

GEO Method:

Old 05-13-2019, 04:04 PM   #81

Is this thread still closed? lol. That was hilarious
Miamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:33 PM   #82

Been using this technique for about 15 years now: Your RV septic system learning to use it properly. - Page 6 - iRV2 Forums
Bunky Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:03 AM   #83

Question Thank you for this info

I am a newbie. We purchased a 2018 class A Thor Outlaw last fall and just drove it into storage. We are planning our first trip and looking at campgrounds I had questions. The campgrounds listed full hookups and I was wondering about leaving the tanks open, we had a travel trailer and dumped at least 3/4 full. We don't intend on spending a long period of time in the coach, we are using to travel with our 3 dogs comfortably and overnights traveling to destinations or doing dog events. We are a couple years from retirement and will use it more then.

Now, I have a few other questions. What do you store the sewer hose in? Do you use a container that the hose, elbow and flushing hose fit in? What is your preferred length of hose? And do we need the support thing for the hose? Thanks
Badgertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:42 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry1p View Post
I leave the gray open if staying more than a few days.

I also have a Flush King to flush both the gray and black.

Gray tank can get stinky if never flushed.

I also leave the gray open when we are parked long term otherwise we are dumping every three days. Adding a gray flush valve fixed my issue of false gray tank sensor readings and got rid of unwanted food decay stuck to the tank walls. I already had a black flush valve I use regularly.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote