Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-02-2021, 05:55 PM   #1

07 Toyota Yaris TOAD?

Can anyone comment on towing an 07 body style Toyota Yaris, I am going to look at one for sale about 60 miles awaytomorrow from here that is set up for TOAD duty with a Roadmaster Base Plate, not sure on many other details, price is right, though it is high mileage, and has a couple of small dings. Looking at it for use as a cheap TOAD when I take solo trips, or when my wife flies one or both ways, currently we are using my wife's 2017 Cherokee as a TOAD.

I have googled and find very little on towing a Yaris of this model generation

thanks

p.s. not sure on details of what if any braking system is included, but we have a Roadmaster Evenbrake now so would just need to get a second vehicle kit for it, and roadmaster tow bar adapter.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 06:08 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Can anyone comment on towing an 07 body style Toyota Yaris, I am going to look at one for sale about 60 miles awaytomorrow from here that is set up for TOAD duty with a Roadmaster Base Plate, not sure on many other details, price is right, though it is high mileage, and has a couple of small dings. Looking at it for use as a cheap TOAD when I take solo trips, or when my wife flies one or both ways, currently we are using my wife's 2017 Cherokee as a TOAD.

I have googled and find very little on towing a Yaris of this model generation

thanks

p.s. not sure on details of what if any braking system is included, but we have a Roadmaster Evenbrake now so would just need to get a second vehicle kit for it, and roadmaster tow bar adapter.
Rule of thumb, ALL Toyotas are not towable with all four wheels down. There have been some that made their own mods to make a Toyota towable but none are rated as such by Toyota directly.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:20 PM   #3

What transmission???
Old 08-02-2021, 06:26 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
What transmission???
Looks like a 2007-2018 Yaris with Manuel transmission can be towed, my bad.

See chart below:

Is it possible to tow my Toyota with all four wheels on the ground?
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:30 PM   #5

This is a manual transmission 3 door hatchback Yaris, I have been doing a bit of research on the Yaris, looks like the 07-11 are all the same, still not much online about TOAD use, other than a handful of comments that amount to a sentence or so saying someone it towing one. This must be one of the most overlooked potential light TOADs out there at around 2,300 pounds, not sure why yet, though there was one comment about someone always hitting their head getting in and out of the Yaris. Most message threads about the Yaris are people asking if they should buy a Yaris or something else, and every one I have found only have replies for the something else.

On a bit of a trivia point it seems the Yaris in the US is sold as either a sedan or a hatchback, and these are labelled as 2 different cars in all other markets, and even use different Roadmaster brand base plates.

It also looks like I will need to get a Roadmaster 032 or 033 cross bar adapter to use my current tow bar, based on the listing photos it seems to have the 025 cross bar adapter on it now for use with Reese and Drawtite tow bars, though I guess I will find out for sure tomorrow when I see it in person.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:12 PM   #6

Something came up at the last minute and going to look at the Yaris has been put off by at least a day
Old 08-03-2021, 01:20 PM   #7

Having worked for Toyota during that time frame, I can say that the Yaris was one of the most durable vehicles Toyota built. That 1.5L engine was virtually bullet proof as long as it received regular oil changes. The drive line was also very reliable as long as the driver didn't ride the clutch or try to speed shift the transmission. The only thing to look out for is heavy rust on the underneath and check the transmission half shaft boots for tearing or cracking. At 106HP it's not going to win any races but it will deliver 40+MPG.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:46 PM   #8

Thanks I will take a look at the boots and check for rust, I don't have a lot of details, but it appears to be one owner, and the couple that are selling it pulled it around behind their class B/B+ coach at least part of the time and live in south Louisiana, so not a prime rust state..
Old 08-03-2021, 02:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Smile

Had an ECHO 5spd, same as yaris, and it was a GREAT tow car (toad). I feel the number 1 reason why more people don't tow them is stick shift. My wife couldn't drive a stick shift, reason I sold it. Also pretty plain, not too many frills, BUT bullitproof !
bigjon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:06 PM   #10

Well for better or worse, I bought the Yaris today, all things considered it is in great shape, it has been sitting since before Covid so needs a few things like new wiper blades, new gas springs for the hatchback, new tail light assemblies (cracking plastic), and a new front bumper cover (rolled forward into the motorhome hitch one time when the seller was unhooking it). Maybe also new headlights due to scuffs and yellowing, otherwise looks great, 1 owner been kept under roof when not in use, interior fabric is like new, I have seen cars with 1/5th as many miles that had upholstery that was more worn. Bottom line 215,000 miles 1 owner, always serviced at the local Toyota dealer, service records, set up for flat towing just need a Roadmaster to Blue-Ox crossbar adapter ($100). Not bad for $2,400 (well really $2,600 invested as I have ordered new tail light assemblies and the cross bar adapter), tomorrow I get to go deal with the DMV pay sales tax, registration, insurance, etc.

Tags
toad