Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 12:09 AM   #1

'14 Jeep JK owners, why disconnect the bat when towing?

Ladies and Gents,
We've been towing Jeeps for decades all over this planet. But, the latest model that we've owned and towed are an '04 Jeep Rubicon. On that era Jeep, the prep for towing is simple:

1. Trans into N
2. Transfer Case into N
3. Trans back into Park
4. Key in "Unlock" (but there is no electronics on so, no battery drain)
Done! You are ready to tow

But, we're getting ready to delve into the JK world. The JKs started production in '07. But, the production years from '07 to '11, use the under powered, 3.8L engine and those are out. The production years from '12 to present, use the newer, 285HP 3.6L that's a superior motor so, we're heading for one of those year models.

Now, I just finished cruising all the owners manuals from '12 - '16 and, looked up all the tow prep procedures each year. Now, it seems the '07 JKs need the negative battery disconnected prior to towing.

But, the '12 & '13, don't need any battery cables disconnected. Then, for some odd, mysterious reason, Jeep, in its infinite wisdom, in the model '14 year, went back to disconnecting the negative battery cable, prior to towing.

But, the year models '15 & '16, DON'T need the negative battery cable disconnected. Hmmmmm

For you 2014 JK owners, it does say to leave the key in the "ACC" position then, remove the negative battery cable. One question, why leave it in the ACC position? What's different than the '12 & '13 model that requires that year model to have the key placed in the ACC position?

Then, in the '15 & '16 years, there is no "turn the key to the ACC position" (according to the owners manuals I found on line that is). Hense, there is no need to disconnect the negative battery cable.

So, what's different with the '14 model JK? Does it have to do with un-lockin the steering? If so, does it mean that the '12 & '13 model JK didn't or doesn't have locking steering? And, that also means that the '15 & '16 don't either, correct? We'll more than likely be heading towards a '14-'16 model in the JKU Rubicon. But, I really don't feel like messing with that negative battery cable each and every time we hookup or, disconnect for towing.

Yeah, yeah I can setup a solenoid or, knife switch but, why, if I don't have to in another year? I mean, if we find a swing'n deal on a '14 JKU Rubi, we might have to jump on it so, I'd have to contend with that cable disconnect thing then.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 01:05 AM   #2

We have a '14 JKU. No steering lock mechanism, no need to leave key in ACC, no need to disconnect battery cable. Someone, a long time ago brought up in a thread about the '14 owners manual being just plain wrong. Maybe it went to printing without editing.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:09 AM   #3
laj

the only diff. Is the manual is wrong for 14. don't even need to leave the key in. put transfer case in neutral, auto trans in park, manual in gear, lock doors and put key in pocket. been towing my 14 that way since new.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #4

Thanks guys. Very much appreciated. When advising newer folks about prepping for towing on just about any vehicle/car/truck/Jeep etc. I ALWAYS advise checking into the owner's manual for their particular vehicle. The main reason is, it's supposed to be "Gospel". I mean, if the owners manual says it can be flat towed behind a motorhome, then that's got to be the truth, correct?

Well, I also figure that, whatever procedures that are outlined are also gospel. But, as you pointed out, apparently NOT. So, based on your feedback, it appears that we can look for a 2012 and up with no need to worry about prep procedures. We mainly want the newer motor since the basic drive train is the same. Thanks for your responses.
Scott
Old 07-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Scott;

I can verify for the 2012 model. I have towed ours about 8,000 miles so far and have never left the key in or disconnected the battery. BTW, the 3.6 Navistar engine and five speed automatic transmission make the 2012 and newer worth while.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Scott;

I can verify for the 2012 model. I have towed ours about 8,000 miles so far and have never left the key in or disconnected the battery. BTW, the 3.6 Navistar engine and five speed automatic transmission make the 2012 and newer worth while.
Hey Dan,
Thanks for the additional info here. We've owned Jeeps for well over 30 years, CJs, YJs, and TJs. But, until only a couple of weeks ago, had never even been in a JK. So, while camping with some friends who had various years of JK, we were offered to take a test drive in 2012 two door Rubicon almost no modifications. Wow, what a serious difference in power, from the 4.0L TJs, from take off, all through the gears and of course, passing.

So, while I'm not normally a "POWER" hungry driver, it was seriously overwhelming going from a regular, TJ Rubicon to that 2012 JK two door Rubicon. So, we just sold our pristine '03 Rubi and, are now on the hunt for a 2012 and up, 4 door or, "JKU". A two door is not out of the question but, we've had short wheel base Jeeps forever. And, while short W/B jeeps to handle tight trail/turn situations better than the Unlimited TJs and JKs, we're now more interested in just regular dirt roads/trails etc. and, street and freeway driving characteristics.

So, off to the hunt.
Scott
Old 07-20-2016, 07:40 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
I can also verify the 2014 setup for towing. I have also been towing mine since new. It is the easiest setup I have ever been around.

Jerry
Old 07-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc View Post
I can also verify the 2014 setup for towing. I have also been towing mine since new. It is the easiest setup I have ever been around.

Jerry
We have towed ours since new as well. put in neutral, take key out, lock doors, and go.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #9

Scott, Dave here from Prescott and the Winnebago Vectra. I've asked you a few questions since we bought it an got great answers. So, my turn, we have had both a 2012 two-door and now a 2016 four-door. The former, had great power and giddy-up. The latter not so much. a lot heavier Jeep. We bought a 2016 Rubicon Unlimited Hard Rock Edition. I too grew up on Jeeps and built a few for myself and others back in the day for rock crawling adventures. Now, I'm more interested in ease of towing a vehicle behind the RV, forest service roads, and winter driving here.

Our 2016 has 3.73 gears in the axles, and am not sure if 4.10s would be better, or the std setup. Best bet is try them all. Anyway, in either case, the towing is the same. Put it in park, transfer case in neutral, pull the keys, shut the door.

PS, we are thinking of selling our Jeep if you are interested, pm me. Wife can't ride on the trails, bad back and all. I did install a Blue Ox base-plate on it, so that of course would be included. We haven't towed it yet though. We have 6,000 miles on the Jeep. Or, if you get a '12 or so, I have a base-plate kit for that. Dave.
Grenadiers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing