Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #1

'15 JKUR, ready to wire for towing, what's available commercially THAT WORKS?

Gang,
We just purchased a 2015 JKUR and I'm just getting in setting it up for towing. I've done all my wiring on all my toads for decades. And, the way I've done it is by tying into the factory wiring and utilizing the stock tail lights/bulbs for toad lights. It's ALWAYS worked flawlessly. But, as I understand, the newer JK Jeeps use what's called CAN-BUSS wiring. That's a whole different animal in the wiring world.

So, I'm pretty sure my old method will not work on the new '15 JK. I have read a few reports on here that some of the readily available kits that you can buy for "instant" readiness for towing, i.e. plug and play systems, have caused unforeseen issues. Certain lights don't work, fast blinking of turn signals, fuses blowing and a few others. Well, to me, that's not a "Plug and play" if you've got to FIX things after you've installed one of these "kits".

So, my question is, there any kits, harness's, wiring setups, that EVERYONE who's bought it, has has ZERO problems with and, it works on a 2015 Jeep JKUR? And please, don't suggest I ADD another bulb into the tail light housing. I know I can do that and have never been a fan of it due to the fact that normally they're not placed so the reflectors of the backing do a maximum job of reflection. I will only do that as a last resort.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #2

Had the dealership install the OEM harness. No muss no fuss.

John
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #3

I just installed this in my 2015 Wrangler Sport. In the process of the SMI stay in play brake

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
S Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:42 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I installed the Mopar harness on mine. It uses small relays to isolate the lights from the CAN BUSS system, so there is no feedback. My main reason was since it was Mopar equipment, there shouldn't be any warranty issues. There shouldn't be any major changes between the 12 and 15.

Here's a link to a step by step post I did last year with an easier way to connect the harness up under the dash, which can be a PITA to reach.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2012-...te-236583.html
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:56 PM   #5

Thanks guys, I sincerely appreciate your input here. This is a whole new ball game for me. As stated in prior posts, I've wired each and every toad we've had, all the same way, by tying into the factory wiring with Radio Shack diodes. Well, it's time to move into the 21st century and do what normal folks do. And that is, pick up a harness and plug it in. Thanks again.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing