Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2019, 06:52 PM   #1

2000 VW Jetta Manual 5 Speed as a toad

Hi Everyone,

We are planning a cross country, 1 month vacation with our class C.

The original plan was to drive the rv and rent what we needed when we go to where we were going. I'm a very impatient person, and getting a ride to the rental place, dealing with "customer service" to rent the car, I'm losing time that I'd rather be spending with the family seeing everything we can.

I have a 2000 VW Jetta, manual 5 spd. I saw what you need in order to tow it, saw the warnings etc.

The jetta GVW is about 3900 lbs. I have an 89 ford e-350 class c. I've gotten 9.45 miles per gallon last year.

What can I expect to lose while towing the jetta? Have you noticed a signifigant drop in mpg? How much?

If you have any suggestions as to routes, things to see etc., I'm open to that too! We are starting in Philly, heading west and back.

Thanks in advance!
jetta jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have lost 1 mpg towing my 2015 Chev Equinox. Listed weight 3990. The loss of fuel mileage is made up by the convenience .

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta jimmy View Post
Hi Everyone,

We are planning a cross country, 1 month vacation with our class C.

The original plan was to drive the rv and rent what we needed when we go to where we were going. I'm a very impatient person, and getting a ride to the rental place, dealing with "customer service" to rent the car, I'm losing time that I'd rather be spending with the family seeing everything we can.

I have a 2000 VW Jetta, manual 5 spd. I saw what you need in order to tow it, saw the warnings etc.

The jetta GVW is about 3900 lbs. I have an 89 ford e-350 class c. I've gotten 9.45 miles per gallon last year.

What can I expect to lose while towing the jetta? Have you noticed a signifigant drop in mpg? How much?

If you have any suggestions as to routes, things to see etc., I'm open to that too! We are starting in Philly, heading west and back.

Thanks in advance!
Jetta Jimmy,
Well Sir, at the risk of sounding a bit harsh, if you're worried about drops in gas mileage ON A MOTORHOME due to the addition of a toad, then maybe you shouldn't consider it. We had the same exact motorhome as you're describing. It was an '89 E-350, 27' Ultra with the FI 460 in it. I didn't pass very many gas stations. I think on our best day, and we owned that coach for 11 years, we got maybe 7.5 mpg. I used to have a '99 F-350 Ford Lariat truck that got 7.5 mpg IN THE GARAGE!!

But, seriously, if you've achieved what you say you have with that coach, you've done phenomenal with it to say the least. Having a toad, to us, no matter what the cost, is paramount. I wouldn't rely on Uber, cab, renting a car, none of that junk. We've been stuck in the middle of nowhere more than once. The first time was without a toad. I should have known better. We had two little kids with us at the time. The second time, we did have a toad. Our coach doesn't move an INCH without a toad. In fact, we have two toads. One is a '15 JKUR Jeep and the other is an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4. Both are flat towable WITHOUT any drive line alteration whatsoever.

You should be good to go with that Jetta.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:14 PM   #4

Thanks!

No, I wasn't really concerned about gas milage, I was just concerned if it was a significant drop. I've never towed a car before, and I know the RV isn't the most fuel efficient vehicle on the road. I know it sucks, but just wanted to make sure it doesn't suck too much more, lol!
jetta jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta jimmy View Post
Thanks!

No, I wasn't really concerned about gas milage, I was just concerned if it was a significant drop. I've never towed a car before, and I know the RV isn't the most fuel efficient vehicle on the road. I know it sucks, but just wanted to make sure it doesn't suck too much more, lol!
Yeah,
They ALL suck in the gas mileage department. I drive very conservatively (as much as possible for hauling 30K of weight with the coach and 6.7K with the truck and bike) and, I still get 6.5-7.5 where some folks "claim" much more than that with comparable setups. But, no matter. I get what I get. My point is to travel and have fun. The coach does not run 7 days a week, week in and week out. It sits for a while, then we travel some, then more sitting so, when it's eating fuel like it's free, oh well.

As stated earlier, hook up your toad, don't worry about the mileage, enjoy the fact that you have a mode of transportation at any time of day or night, when you're out and about with your RV and it breaks. Nobody wants them to break but, it happens. And if you've got a toad, you're ready for whatever's next.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, toad