Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2017, 04:39 PM   #1

2002 Cadillac DeVille

So my mother-in-law just bought a new Volvo and it looks like I'm going to pick up her 2002 DeVille for super cheap ($0.00)

I saw that Blue Ox sells a base plate for that model/year Cadillac but the owner's manual says no 4 down towing.....?

Why would Blue Ox sell the base plate if it supposedly can't be towed 4 down. Does Blue Ox know something GM isn't telling people? Is GM just saying NO as a CYA move?

It's not critical that I tow the DeVille since I was planning on towing my 2017 F-150 @ 4800 pounds but the DeVille is a little lighter and I was hoping to save a little weight.
BigInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2017, 06:35 PM   #2

Or maybe its Blue Ox not telling people things they should know. I'd talk to a service manager at a Cadillac dealership. Since the car has an automatic tranny I'd be concerned about towing it 4 down without modification. As its a 15 year old car long past its warranty period GM could care less how you treat the car. Even if the car was new I'd still heed GMs warnings. They are waring you not to do it. If you ignore their warnings that's your problem, not theirs.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:10 PM   #3

Hope it works out for you. That would be one Cooool Toad.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigInSeattle View Post
So my mother-in-law just bought a new Volvo and it looks like I'm going to pick up her 2002 DeVille for super cheap ($0.00)

I saw that Blue Ox sells a base plate for that model/year Cadillac but the owner's manual says no 4 down towing.....?

Why would Blue Ox sell the base plate if it supposedly can't be towed 4 down. Does Blue Ox know something GM isn't telling people? Is GM just saying NO as a CYA move?

It's not critical that I tow the DeVille since I was planning on towing my 2017 F-150 @ 4800 pounds but the DeVille is a little lighter and I was hoping to save a little weight.
I believe your deville will need to be modified to tow four down. (either a remco pump or maybe disconnects/axle locks.)
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:45 PM   #5

As per the Remco Towing Products website:

2002 Cadillac DeVille ALL FWD V8 4.6L cyl 4-Speed Automatic 4T80E

Notes

• Vehicle can be flat towed with Lube Pump Kit. Vehicle cannot be flat towed from Manufacturer as is.

So you could install a Remco Lube Pump kit, costing more than the vehicle is worth, and make it towable.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:38 PM   #6

AH ok. That's what I needed to know. Yep, absolutely not worth it to tow 4 down. Thanks for the info. I'll stick with the F-150 for TOAD duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
As per the Remco Towing Products website:

2002 Cadillac DeVille ALL FWD V8 4.6L cyl 4-Speed Automatic 4T80E

Notes

• Vehicle can be flat towed with Lube Pump Kit. Vehicle cannot be flat towed from Manufacturer as is.

So you could install a Remco Lube Pump kit, costing more than the vehicle is worth, and make it towable.
BigInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:42 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
You could pick up a used tow dolly, and tow it that way also! Just another option! Rail!
Old 12-25-2017, 09:48 PM   #8

I had a 2002 Deville. Best car I ever owned. Hated to part with it.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:41 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had a 02 Deville worst car ever owned. 34 problems in 4.5 years. Lost $35k on trade in. Hope you did not get mine. No more GM products for us. Bought a 07 Accord. 11 years no problems. Its our toad.