Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2014, 07:19 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4x2 Remco drive shaft coupler

I hope the title covers my needs. I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4x2 automatic transmission I'd love to be able to tow without using either a tow dolly or trailer.

Has anyone done this? Is it even possible?

Thanks,

Mitch Johnson

2005 Newmar Dutchstar 4010
Mitchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2014, 07:51 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
REMCO

I have a driveshaft disconnect on my wrangler.It completely disconnects the rear axle so it stays in park and no mileage is recorded.Google remco
Old 12-27-2014, 08:13 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I've been on Remco's website, I'm not what you would call a mechanic but I did find a dealer close to me in Virginia Beach who I'll call on Monday.

I was more curious if there's anyone out there who has done it on my model truck or similar model. I don't even change my own oil.

My impression is that anything can be flat towed with the remake kit.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
The end result is that I am now flat towing my Dodge Ram. It is a bit on the heavy side back there but tows pretty good.

I paid about $700 to Remco for a stub disconnect kit. I actually thought I was getting the entire driveshaft. My local driveshaft experts had to build me a new driveshaft. My initial experience wasn't that great. At 40mph it started vibrating, not too bad but noticeable. I took the truck back and they verified that it was balanced. Vibration was still there. However, the mechanic told me I could turn the yolk 180 degrees and it should be better. Not being a mechanic meant that information meant nothing to me. However after this recent trip the yolk must be in the right place because there's no vibration so for me, the none mechanic, it's going to be hit or miss.

The driveshaft cost a further $450.

The baseplate is a blue Ox. Brake system is the Air Force One.

Total cost was approximately $6,000 to get rid of a tow dolly.

The jury is out on the vibration. I'll update in a few months.

The actual operation of the disconnect kit is simple. It pulls out real easy. Reengaging takes a few minutes but nothing to worry about.

Lessons learned time:

All common sense.

Don't disconnect the toad on an incline. Even though it's in park it does roll, hence the driveshaft being disconnected. Could have been disastrous for me. Engage the park brake if I'm not on level ground.

Don't drive onto railroad ties and think you're going to disconnect the toad with one wheel still in the railroad tie. It was my first trip!!!!

BLUF. I'm very happy to tow my 2005 Dodge Ram.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #5

In hindsight you would have been better to order the complete driveshaft with coupler from Superflow Industries in Des Moines...who bought the rights to the disconnect from Remco. They make driveshaft balancers and know exactly what they are doing. Remco had problems selling just the couplers because all sorts of shops were cutting and welding the customer's driveshafts with varying results.

Mine is working better today than 3 years ago when I first had it installed. It does vibrate at around 62 mph if it so happens to engage 180 degrees out from the ideal balanced position. Just pull over, disengage and reconnect.

Oh...and do remember to set the parking brake before unhooking. My Yukon almost rolled backwards over the DW's leg in Silver City, NM the first year. I had to pull her out of the way.

And another thing...remember to disconnect the driveshaft after hooking up to the motorhome...say the night before and after a few beers. Toads don't roll very well behind the motorhome with their rear wheels locked in park.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:41 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
This is a final update on my driveshaft disconnect kit for my 2003 Dodge Ram 2500.

The vibration got worse to a point where my exhaust actually came apart in a few locations causing the catalytic converter to fall off. Granted my, the truck is old which didn't help matters at all. I had all that replaced at great cost. A few months later, the cable for the disconnect broke on the same trip as the exhaust failed me again, the noise was atrocious.

This time I took my truck to Williams RV and Auto Service in Chesapeake to look over the Remco Driveshaft Disconnect kit. What he saw even shocked him, the kit had been on for only a year and looked as it had been on for ten. The vibration broke the driveshaft kit in a few places causing the cable to break. They finally talked to the owner of the driveshaft kit company, Remco, and he told him I should have never have been sold the kit, it's not supported for my truck. He said I could drive by the facility and they'll take care of it, which is definitely not an option for me since at the time I lived in Virginia Beach and they're based in Iowa.

My mistake was that I got rid of the old driveshaft so I had one built for me. The major vibration as gone but the vibration was still there. I also had the entire exhaust system replaced. This past week the muffler separated from the tail pipe, so I decided to get everything right and get Dodge to purchase a new driveshaft which I'm currently waiting for.

I did call Remco asking for a refund of any amount. They denied they were at fault since they rely on accurate measurements.

I know they're a solid company which has a great product and lots of satisfied customers. All I'm doing is sharing my unfortunate experiences and updating my previous incorrect assertions. I'd love to tow my truck but it isn't happening.

Thanks,

Mitch Johnson

Tags
dodge