Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2022, 08:32 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2005 Jeep GC Power Steering Pump

Last week my power steering pump crapped out. Fine and then hard to steer. Fluid level was fine.
So I am in the process of changing it out but on doing some research I was surprised to see that this must be a common problem. Since I never hear of steering pumps going out just wondering who else has had this problem.

Originally the manual called for a special fluid from Mopar but I just checked with the dealer and he said they now recommend an ATF-4 transmission fluid. Go figure.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2022, 09:29 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Last week my power steering pump crapped out. Fine and then hard to steer. Fluid level was fine.
So I am in the process of changing it out but on doing some research I was surprised to see that this must be a common problem. Since I never hear of steering pumps going out just wondering who else has had this problem.

Originally the manual called for a special fluid from Mopar but I just checked with the dealer and he said they now recommend an ATF-4 transmission fluid. Go figure.
Power steering pumps do fail on many makes. I haven't known the Jeep WK pump to be a common failure item. Yours was 17+ years old and has more steering system miles on it than shown on the odometer, being used as a toad.

As for the fluid, I would use power steering fluid. Power steering is a hydraulic system in it's operation. Steering has no clutch packs and operates at lower temperatures.

ATF is transmission fluid, formulated for wet clutches and higher temperatures. Many have used it as a substitute, but why, when a proper fluid is available.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 07:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I had done quite a few searches looking for the original power steering fluid. I only found one substitute sold at O'Reilly's. So I decided to call the local Jeep shop and checked on the oil there. They are the ones that told me the original spec was superseded to the ATF-4. So I guess I'm going with that.

I will drain the oil going through the cooler and try and get rid of the old oil as it returns to tank.
Old 08-30-2022, 08:49 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I had done quite a few searches looking for the original power steering fluid. I only found one substitute sold at O'Reilly's. So I decided to call the local Jeep shop and checked on the oil there. They are the ones that told me the original spec was superseded to the ATF-4. So I guess I'm going with that.

I will drain the oil going through the cooler and try and get rid of the old oil as it returns to tank.
A flush is a good idea. Run return hose into a gallon milk or water jug If you have a helper, start with reservoir full of fresh and have helper start engine knowing to shut it down quickly. Only takes couple seconds to run out. Refill and one more time should do it. You can tell by fluid exhausted in jug, once clean comes out. Many places have curbside recycling of oil in a jug with a screw top lid.

If you are interested in the original Mopar power steering fluid +4, it's available on Amazon for $11.35. They show 9 in stock.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:40 AM   #5

Power steering pumps used to be kinda easy to replace but not easy to get the belt tension correct without some squealing. I imagine in 2005 the engine bay is a bit more congested so might need to remove more plastic.

Once a pump goes it is best to get a new one. I never had any luck with flushing the fluid.

Good luck with this project.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 02:02 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I spent a little more time evacuating as much oil as possible using a large syringe and different size tubing. There can't be much in there. I do intend to try and get the rest via the return hose.

Still waiting on the pump, should be here tomorrow.

Yes, with 5.7 Hemi it is tight. I had to use a cheater bar on the tensioning pulley when I removed the belt, not easy so it's going to be bear going back.

I went ahead and bought 3 quarts of synthetic Valvoline ATF4, this is what I used in the transmission so won't go to waste.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:05 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I spent a little more time evacuating as much oil as possible using a large syringe and different size tubing. There can't be much in there. I do intend to try and get the rest via the return hose.

Still waiting on the pump, should be here tomorrow.

Yes, with 5.7 Hemi it is tight. I had to use a cheater bar on the tensioning pulley when I removed the belt, not easy so it's going to be bear going back.

I went ahead and bought 3 quarts of synthetic Valvoline ATF4, this is what I used in the transmission so won't go to waste.
On the tool for your belt tensioner. They do make a tool for the purpose. Makes the job much easier. Most larger auto parts stores have loaner tools that you can check out with a deposit, so it doesn't cost to use it. Might ask for a belt tensioner tool kit & see if they have it.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:50 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Finally got the new power steering pump. Yesterday I went and bought the last 3 quarts of Valvoline ATF4 that Walmart had so I was ready to tackle the job.
The pump actually went back on easier then getting it off. I bolted the pump on and then put the belt back on before connecting the hoses. I just used a 3/8" ratchet and cheater pipe and was able to slip the belt partially on with my other hand and then used a long piece of wood to finish getting into place. I primed the pump with some ATF-4 transmission fluid before putting the hoses on. Put the hoses on and the rest of the air intake before firing it up.

I decided not to try and attempt to flush any of the system. When I called the Jeep dealer I asked him about how to flush the system and he kind of laughed and he said it complicated, you need specialized equipment and he said "most people don't fool with it" which I interpreted to mean that they don't do it.

Yesterday was able to get some more out of the system, I went to Lowes and bought a roll of the smallest fuel line used on small engines and it fit down the last section of hose that I hadn't been able to evacuate. I got another 4-5 oz of fluid out with the only thing left in the rack and pinion steering, it would take quiet a bit of flushing to purge that and with the 5.7 Hemi there is just not much room and this is compounded by the fact that there are hoses going the hydraulic fan cooler.

So I filled the reservoir and started the engine just for a couple seconds and confirmed it was pulling fluid from the reservoir, added some more and started it back up, shut it down and checked a couple more times. There was some air in the fluid initially but it became clear after awhile. Took it for a test drive and all is good. Fluid in the reservoir looks good, same color as came out of the bottle so if there was some old fluid it must not have been much.

So it cost me ~$130 to change the steering pump with pulley, I did buy an after market off the internet and it looked exactly like the one I took off. None of the local auto stores had it in stock and they wanted much more.

So my 2005 Jeep GC w/Hemi has ~145K miles on it. I bought it used ~11 years ago and have put about 60K on it and have probably pulled it another 50K. It is starting to show it's age though. This year alone I've had to
  1. Change the radiator/water pump,
  2. Replace the rubber section of the transmission cooling lines since they were weeping. Service the transmission.
  3. Replace the front rotors and brake shoes all around
  4. Spark Plugs and O2 sensors since it threw the code.
  5. Changed the Steering Pump
So hopefully it's ready to go a while and considering the cost of new ones I'm willing to continue to baby it.

Tags
jeep, power, pump, steering