Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2021, 05:15 AM   #1

2006 Lexus GX470

Can a Lexus GX470 2006 be towed four wheels down? If you can what is the process? Thanks for your input in advance.
Bluebird 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2021, 08:46 AM   #2
D20

No as per your owners manual and dinghy guide.

https://images.goodsam.com/newmotorh...yGuide2006.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 10.44.14.png
Views:	15
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	331950  
Old 06-14-2021, 08:26 PM   #3

i tow one and a few others on the forum do too. some like the idea of it and others dont. trans in park, transfer case in nuetral

up in the top right is the search funtion and provides answers covered many times over
Old 06-15-2021, 02:51 PM   #4

Any Toyota or Lexus 4WD product can be towed 4down as long as it has a manual shift transfer case with NEUTRAL position. Be careful there were a couple of years where certain models had manual shift cases with NO NEUTRAL position. These were simply in/out boxes and not true transfer cases.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:48 AM   #5

I own a 2004 GX 470. The shift lever that looks like a transfer case control is not. A transfer case normally engages or disengages the four wheel drive. In my Lexus that function is controlled electrically in the transmission.

The level that has a neutral position is a high/low gear ratio control. It does have a neutral position but it does not control the four wheel drive function.

I am not saying that you cannot tow a Lexus four wheels down but I prefer to follow the manufacturer's recommendation.
Warrenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 02:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenjo View Post
I own a 2004 GX 470. The shift lever that looks like a transfer case control is not. A transfer case normally engages or disengages the four wheel drive. In my Lexus that function is controlled electrically in the transmission.

The level that has a neutral position is a high/low gear ratio control. It does have a neutral position but it does not control the four wheel drive function.

I am not saying that you cannot tow a Lexus four wheels down but I prefer to follow the manufacturer's recommendation.

There's a very simple test to determine if a Toyota or Lexus is towable with a transfer case. Simply put the transfer case in "neutral", then shift the transmission into drive. If the vehicle will not move when the engine is accelerated slightly the transfer case is in neutral and the trnsmission is disconnected from the drive line and ready to be towed. If the vehicle wants to move then this case is not a true transfer case and the transmission is not disconnected from the drive line and CANNOT be towed.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:01 PM   #7

I have a 2008 GX with 50k miles, I have cared for it very well over the years and its a garage queen most of the time. The manual doesn't recommend flat towing. Now, I'm going to drop a lot of names here, all of my experiences have been very good with each.

I checked with Davenport Motor Company that has done great work on all my Lexi over the years and they recommended not to do it. The 470 is a full time 4wd vehicle and the front/rear cannot be disconnected. That said, I once saw a 470 being flat towed, but not wanting to chance it. I bought a used Demco trailer, and had a place in Dallas called Driveshaft King install a Superior Driveline Driveshaft Disconnect.

I put the front wheels up on the dolly, put it in park, disconnect the drive shaft to the rear, put the key in mid position (steering wheel unlocked), disconnect the battery (10mm wrench to the negative cable), strap it down and drive. Do the opposite on the other end. So far no issues except I have to reprogram the radio stations and do a minor reset for the power windows.

Its all a bit of a hassle and a bit of extra money, but, I'm driving my 470 on the other end which in itself is an extremely capable 4wd vehicle and a very good ride and worth it to me.

https://www.remcodsc.com/coupling/
https://www.demco-products.com/rv-towing/tow-dollies
https://www.davenportmotorco.com/
Old 06-16-2021, 11:04 PM   #8

Found this post here :

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2009...gx-509313.html

Im not sold, your call
Old 06-17-2021, 04:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
There's a very simple test to determine if a Toyota or Lexus is towable with a transfer case. Simply put the transfer case in "neutral", then shift the transmission into drive. If the vehicle will not move when the engine is accelerated slightly the transfer case is in neutral and the trnsmission is disconnected from the drive line and ready to be towed. If the vehicle wants to move then this case is not a true transfer case and the transmission is not disconnected from the drive line and CANNOT be towed.

I am not certain you test is correct. If my Hi/Lo selector is in the neutral position the engine is disconnected from the drive line as you state. However, the transmission may still be driven by the drive shafts (there are two). If the Hi/Lo gearing is in the driveline between the engine and the transmission the transmission will still turn with the wheels.

I still suggest you decide based on the manufacturer's recommendation since the manufacturer knows the internals of the transmission.
Warrenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenjo View Post
I am not certain you test is correct. If my Hi/Lo selector is in the neutral position the engine is disconnected from the drive line as you state. However, the transmission may still be driven by the drive shafts (there are two). If the Hi/Lo gearing is in the driveline between the engine and the transmission the transmission will still turn with the wheels.

I still suggest you decide based on the manufacturer's recommendation since the manufacturer knows the internals of the transmission.

You need to learn how your vehicle is designed. The engine is not directly connected to the drive line. It is connected through the transmission. Therefore you cannot disconnect the engine with out also disconnecting the transmission since they are directly connected to each other. When the transmission is disconnected from the drive line by putting the transfer in neutral, the drive shafts may still turn when the vehicle is being towed but since the drive line is disconnected from anything else this makes no difference. Also the HI/LO gearing is not between the engine and the transmission it is located between the transmission output shaft and the driveshafts. So when it's in neutral the transmission and driveshafts are not connected to each other.

By the way, I spent 28+ years with Toyota Motor Manufacturing as a product engineer.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:29 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I used to have one and it was a great SUV! That said and I for sure do not know if it can be flat towed, I'm not sure I would want to. The rig is a tank!! Not sure but it seems to me the curb weight was like 5500 pounds!!
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:17 PM   #12

It seems to me the only way to verify would to put the t case in neutral then roll the car by hand forward and backwards and see what turns. If anything more then just the wheels turn, game over, don't flat tow it. Jmho..
Old 06-18-2021, 10:49 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick1 View Post
It seems to me the only way to verify would to put the t case in neutral then roll the car by hand forward and backwards and see what turns. If anything more then just the wheels turn, game over, don't flat tow it. Jmho..
The driveshafts are still going to turn... they are connected to the front and rear differentials. Best to go with the owners manual on this one.
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawjohnson View Post
I used to have one and it was a great SUV! That said and I for sure do not know if it can be flat towed, I'm not sure I would want to. The rig is a tank!! Not sure but it seems to me the curb weight was like 5500 pounds!!
Definitely a tank, great SUV too, not tons of room in the back but enough, we put skis and snow boards up top. Anyway, I feel pretty comfortable with the driveshaft disconnect and putting the front up on a Demco. I know that in this configuration, no part of the driveline has a chance not being lubricated while turning.