Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2006 Saturn Vue tow miles

I am looking at a used Saturn Vue to tow all four down. Our previous toad was a Chevy Malibu and when it was towed, the towed mileage did not register. Does anyone tow a Saturn Vue and does the tow mileage accumulate? I want to make sure the total mileage is correct before buying the car. Tony
Freightliner Chassis, Cummins engine, FMCA #408511
figallegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Mileage did not accumulate on either our '02 Saturn wagon or the '07 VUE. Can only guess the '06 is the same.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:08 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Would mileage towed and not recorded mileage be a concern as to wear and tear on vehicle a vehicle?
Freightliner Chassis, Cummins engine, FMCA #408511
figallegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #4

My 2007 Vue doesn't record miles when being towed. My odometer is about 51k miles currently. We've towed it probably 40k. We have it serviced regularly and so far everything looks good. We put new tires on 2 years ago.
My wife keeps a log of towed miles.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #5

I have a 2005 Saturn Vue which has been used as our towed. When the 30amp fuse is pulled it does not show mileage. The Saturn just turned 70,000 miles on the odometer. I just traded in the 05 motorhome with just under 70,000 miles. So the wheels have 140,000 miles on the road. For what my opinion is worth, the Saturn Vue is a great towable. It is light, 3,700lbs, it tracks extremely well, there is only one fuse to pull, and I ran a bypass switch to the fuse into the cab so I can pull the fuse from the drivers seat. All of the supplemental braking systems seem to work well with the Saturn. I had a Buddy Brake, worked fine, but I got tired of the box, I now use the ReadyBrake which works well with the Saturn's soft peddle.
If you don't mind me asking, how much is the 2006 Saturn selling for? I'm thinking of going larger now that I have a diesel and I have no idea what my Saturn would be worth.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:59 AM   #6

On mine I don't pull the fuse on trips of an hour or less. Mileage doesn't register either way.
JesseJ1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #7

My Saturn has electric power steering. The fuse is pulled to disable that. The car is powered by a Honda 3.5 L V6 and transaxle.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
My Saturn has electric power steering. The fuse is pulled to disable that. The car is powered by a Honda 3.5 L V6 and transaxle.
I'm confused by this statement. The IGN fuse which the manual says is to be pulled has no relationship to the electric power steering. The steering is only powered when the ignition switch is turned to RUN and the motor is running.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJ1826 View Post
I'm confused by this statement. The IGN fuse which the manual says is to be pulled has no relationship to the electric power steering. The steering is only powered when the ignition switch is turned to RUN and the motor is running.
That is something I read somewhere on this forum. Truth is I really don't know why the fuse is pulled.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
That is something I read somewhere on this forum. Truth is I really don't know why the fuse is pulled.
Here is my understanding of this issue. I'm not a mechanic but I had one (my son) explain it to me.
To tow these vehicles (04-07 V6 Vue) it requires the ignition switch to be in the ACC position in order that the steering be unlocked. With the key in this position there are many things drawing power, enough that after about four hours the battery will probably be depleted enough that the car won't start. This time will be shortened if a brake system such as a Brake Buddy is used, particularly if in stop and go traffic and the brake system sensitivity is not reduced. (Ask me how I know this.)
Pulling the IGN fuse alleviates the power draw problem from the car, but not the draw from the brake system.
The solutions for this issue are either a charge line from the towing vehicle or a fuse bypass switch. I'm leaning towards the bypass switch if I could convince my son to make me one.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:22 AM   #11

Saturn Vue is a great towable. My 2005 has 60kmiles and I just traded in the MH with 70k miles, total on the road miles 130K. The few times I did not pull the 30amp fuse the battery in the Saturn discharged to unfunctioning in a few hours. It appears that the windshield and hood bra I use shields the daylight sensor and the running lights go on if I don't pull the fuse. I made a fuse rely, putting a dummy fuse in the box (I shorted out a fuse and soldered on two leads) and ran the wire into the cab where I put in another fuse. I could have used a switch but I wanted to make sure I had a clean disconnect. Anyway, it worked well for me. I am about to trade the Saturn for an Explorer. Need something larger.
I'd be interested to find out how much the Saturn you are looking at is selling for.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow