Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:11 PM   #1

2007 Honda CRV

I just bought a 2007 Honda CRV to use as a toad behind my Country Coach Intrigue, and going with Roadmaster//AirForce1 set up. Question: Honda owners manual warns against towing no more than 65mph. Anyone out there have any issues with the CRV after exceeding 65mph for extended time? Assume doing this messes with the transmission?

Second question is cost to install the complete Roadmaster/AirForce system. Installer dealer quoting $5,300. See on some You Tube channels cost should be around $4,000. Anyone out there have what they paid for complete install?
Rodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2022, 06:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
I just bought a 2007 Honda CRV to use as a toad behind my Country Coach Intrigue, and going with Roadmaster//AirForce1 set up. Question: Honda owners manual warns against towing no more than 65mph. Anyone out there have any issues with the CRV after exceeding 65mph for extended time? Assume doing this messes with the transmission?

Second question is cost to install the complete Roadmaster/AirForce system. Installer dealer quoting $5,300. See on some You Tube channels cost should be around $4,000. Anyone out there have what they paid for complete install?
$3,700 Oklahoma City
OkieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:38 PM   #3

I don't make it a habit of constantly roaring along at 75 but towing between 65 and 70 with our 07 Element (same engine and tranny as the CRV) I haven't had any issues at all. Just make sure to follow the instructions in the owners manual to the letter or you can kiss the tranny bye, bye!!
Old 01-27-2022, 07:19 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum!!

No comment on flat tow speed as that is up to you but my 2021 Chevy Equinox LT AWD manual states "If 105 km/h (65 mph) is exceeded while towing the vehicle, it could be damaged. Never exceed 105 km/h (65 mph) while towing the vehicle." I assume it could damage the transmission.

As far as installed flat tow system cost, I was quoted $5000-6000 by one dealer and $4200-4500 by another dealer outside of san Francisco, CA for a Blue Ox tow and RVi Brake system. The lower quote seems reasonable based on the equipment cost plus a day's labor. Suggest getting a quote(s) for your area.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:48 PM   #5

I have exceeded the recommended 65 limit with our CRV occasionally when passing, downhill run, etc but refrain from making it a habit. If more frequent I would go thru the tranny lube / towing prep more often that recommended. I'd also be more diligent about tranny & differential fluid changes.
Being retired I don't see the need or pleasure in running at 70-75 especially when towing.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I have exceeded the recommended 65 limit with our CRV occasionally when passing, downhill run, etc but refrain from making it a habit. If more frequent I would go thru the tranny lube / towing prep more often that recommended. I'd also be more diligent about tranny & differential fluid changes.
Being retired I don't see the need or pleasure in running at 70-75 especially when towing.
Same here. Occasionally to semi frequently went a little above it to pass a truck or going downhill. Never had a problem.
If you have a bling flap across the bottom of your moho, you will get a burnt rubber smell in the CRV after a long tow. It's just road debris burning off the exhaust system.
I usually just tried to cruise at 64 ish mph.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:28 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
65 mph is plenty fast for an RV. RV does not mean Race Vehicle.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 10:25 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think most manufacturers have the 65MPH limit. We drive 60MPH and stay in the right lane. I don't feel like I'm in complete control above that.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:50 PM   #9

I purchased a 2007 CRV in 2020 completely set up as a toad with the invisible and road master tow bar. Seller told me he paid 5k to have the car set up. I have exceeded 65 many a times but generally cruse at that range. Transmission should be serviced every 2 years if towed regularly. It's been an easy tow for us and much more comfortable than the wrangler.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 10:36 PM   #10

I had a 2007 CR-V and a 2013 CR-V...... both bought new, were AWD and had supplemental braking systems installed.

I generally drove 60-65 rarely going over 65 unless passing for a short distance. Both Honda's were flawless and were very good tow vehicles.

I then moved on to a 2017 Lincoln MKX as Honda's couldn't be towed four down after 2014.

I sold the BIG coach and now tow a slightly used 2018 Mini Cooper which weighs about 2,750 lbs. The MKX was right at the max for my Sprinter which I could really feel!

I barely notice the Mini when towing. And, the six speed manual is fun!

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007, honda