Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-18-2021, 04:24 PM   #1

2007 Smart Car TOAD?

Can a US 2007 Smart Car be flat towed, I am finding a lot of mixed information, even Blue Ox lists base plates for 2008+ though from all information I can find the 07 is on the same chassis as the 08.

I ask because there is an 07 in good shape for same locally for a low price.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2021, 05:06 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Can a US 2007 Smart Car be flat towed, I am finding a lot of mixed information, even Blue Ox lists base plates for 2008+ though from all information I can find the 07 is on the same chassis as the 08.

Instead of towing it why don't you just pick it up and put it in one of your storage compartments?

I've seen them going down the road. The best one however was a guy with a Hot Shot Freightliner towing a 5th wheel. Had enough room between the front of the trailer and the back of the cab to put it on sideways. He built ramps for it and just drove it up there. Said it helped if he could park along side a hill so the ramps weren't so steep to drive up.
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:47 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

The 2007 model was a "grey market" vehicle, and parts and qualified mechanics are hard to come by. They are a completely different car - slightly shorter, different engine and transmission than the 2008+ models and I don't think they were towable 4-down.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:18 PM   #4

They didn't import them to the U.S. until 2008.
An 07 probably is a Canadian car.
I own a 08.
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:29 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjohn View Post
They didn't import them to the U.S. until 2008.
An 07 probably is a Canadian car.
I own a 08.
Prior to the 2008 models, there was a company in Santa Rosa, Ca that imported the older models, then added the required stuff to make them road-legal and sold them for about $30K. They were what is called "grey market" cars and were sold with NO warranty or support of any kind. You COULD find a few independent mechanics who would work on them, but Mercedes dealers would not touch them, even though the car itself win Europe.as built by them
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:23 PM   #6

Thanks for the information
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the information
Isaac,
Why don't you just consult the OWNERS MANUAL? It's the bible when it comes time for the REAL AUTHORITY for towing, not any of us. If you don't find what you're looking for in an owners manual, I might, I say MIGHT consult a dealership although, there are so many times where dealers and or service reps are completely CLUELESS about their own products when it comes time for towing them. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask on here since, there might be a few on here that actually tow the same model year and have done the research to find out pertinent information regarding towing. But, again, it's the owners manual that typically spells out each and every step for towing, if it is in fact, flat towable.

I've got a buddy that has had (and still has his later one) two Smarts and one was completely flat towable from the factory and they never, ever had any issues but, the second, newer one, received damage to the trans because the dealer authorized it to be towed. They had to have a new trans installed and the dealer footed the bill.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007, toad