Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #1

I spoke with Blue Ox today and the tech stated they recently had a 2007 Wrangler at their location and looked it over/measured, etc. and that their design people are actively working on a base plate for the 2007 Wrangler. The base plate for the 2007 Wrangler should be available in 2-3 weeks. The tech stated the design will incorporate removable tow tabs. He would give nothing in regard to actual design but implied that the tabs would plug into 2 holes that you would have made, one on each side of the new plastic fascia under the front bumper. Another words when not towing you remove the tow tabs from the hidden base plate (base plate resides behind the plastic shroud) and thus you do not have to look at them when you are not towing. Anyway, Blue Ox will have the base plate soon and it will work with all 2007 Wranglers..

In regard to Road Master base plates they also have one coming out but apparently their design is flawed as it will only work with the 2007 Wrangler X and Sahara. It apparently will not work with the 2007 Wrangler Rubicon because of an issue with the "front sway bar disconnect system" that only the Rubicon has. Looks like Road Master will have to go back to the drawing board in regard to a base plate for the 2007 Rubicon. Note.. I did not get this info from Blue Ox.
BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #2

I spoke with Blue Ox today and the tech stated they recently had a 2007 Wrangler at their location and looked it over/measured, etc. and that their design people are actively working on a base plate for the 2007 Wrangler. The base plate for the 2007 Wrangler should be available in 2-3 weeks. The tech stated the design will incorporate removable tow tabs. He would give nothing in regard to actual design but implied that the tabs would plug into 2 holes that you would have made, one on each side of the new plastic fascia under the front bumper. Another words when not towing you remove the tow tabs from the hidden base plate (base plate resides behind the plastic shroud) and thus you do not have to look at them when you are not towing. Anyway, Blue Ox will have the base plate soon and it will work with all 2007 Wranglers..

In regard to Road Master base plates they also have one coming out but apparently their design is flawed as it will only work with the 2007 Wrangler X and Sahara. It apparently will not work with the 2007 Wrangler Rubicon because of an issue with the "front sway bar disconnect system" that only the Rubicon has. Looks like Road Master will have to go back to the drawing board in regard to a base plate for the 2007 Rubicon. Note.. I did not get this info from Blue Ox.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:31 AM   #3

You can now order the base plate for the 2007 Wrangler from Blue Ox. It is part number BX1126. They expect to start shipping them on December 13th. This bracket will work on all 2007 Wrangler models and is the removable arm style.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:10 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the update, Bill. I have my eye on a new Rubicon...
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:23 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

That's good news. I have the removeable tabs on my Grqand Cherokee and fixed tabs on my Wrangler. I don't care for the Wrangler fixed tabs because the bar is low enough that I'm afraid that they could bend when crawling over rocks. The removeable tabs are awesome and will really be appreciated on the new Wrangler.

Looking over the 2007 Wrangler, I'm pretty impressed. We have our eye on a Rubicon too.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:37 AM   #6

Hi! We were originally going to use Blue Ox, but due to the delay we went with the Roadmaster base plate, (tabs are supposed to be removeable) and the Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain Tow Bar. It is all being installed on Mon. on our 2007 4 Door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. I will let anyone know how it works out if they are interested. Paul
Old 12-24-2006, 03:30 AM   #7

Here is a pic of the Blue Ox base plate offering installed on an '07 Wrangler. The pic is taken directly from the pdf install instructions. For the install pdf click here.

Old 12-25-2006, 03:42 PM   #8

Jets-

Any feed back on the Road Master? The previous post indicated that it would not fit on the Rubicon. I have been using the Mopar piece of junk for the last two months and honestly, it scares me. Let me know what you find out. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:53 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

My 2005 Wrangler has a similar looking baseplate but it has fixed tabs. I really like the idea of the removeable tabs on the new 2007 Wrangler's baseplate (I have them on the GC Overland) for the Wrangler. When you think about crashing over rocks and stuff those fixed tabs start to look pretty fragile. I'd hate to have to run the Jeep to a weld shop in Moab so that I can tow it home again. Having removeable tabs would be a real plus in my book. Actually, I'm thinking about welding them onto my existing baseplate for that reason. Also, on a Wrangler, the lighting socket needs to be relocated and cut into the bumper for the same reason (did that already) rather than hanging down low.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:39 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Any feed back on the Road Master? The previous post indicated that it would not fit on the Rubicon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! I don't know if Road Master came out yet with a base plate to fit the Rubicon. I would call them. The problem is if the vehicle has electric front sway bar disconnect. I believe it is standard on the Rubicon and and otion on all others. I guess the base plate is a little different. In regards to the pic of the Jeep with the Blue Ox base plate: The Road Master base plate on our Jeep (2007 Wrangler Sahara UnLimited 4 Door) is mounted up tighter to the bumper (so tight the tow bar extenders are against the bumper) and not quite as bulky. Ours is hidden under a cowling with only the 2 attachment points for the tow bar being the only thing that extends out. You can hardly see them. I don't know if all Jeeps come with the cowling or not. It is possible Blue Ox left it off for photo purposes, or by looking at the tow bar maybe it would not fit over it. Paul
Old 12-27-2006, 11:00 AM   #11

Well, Roadmaster still does not have an offering that can be used with the 2007 Rubicon or other '07 Wrangler with electric front sway bar disconnect. In regard to the Blue OX offering it works with all and the plastic cowl can still be used with the Blue Ox offering also. One question I have with the Roadmaster offering is where do the safety cables attach? I gather there is no place to attach the safety cables and you have to have something else welded to the Wrangler frame to attach the safety cable to?
Old 12-27-2006, 11:36 AM   #12

I just got off the phone with Roadmaster sales and tech support. They still do not have a bracket that works with an '07 Wrangler with the sway bar disconnect. They are awaiting a vehicle with the sway bar disconnect to come in that they can rework their bracket to fit. Their present bracket will not work because the sway bar disconnect 'motor' is in the way. Anyway, Roadmaster will have an offering in the next month or so that will work with the sway bar disconnect.

Also, if you plan on using a Blue Ox tow bar with a Roadmaster bracket (baseplate)on your '07 Wrangler set-up, you need to use the Roadmaster "XL series" bracket/baseplate and you will also need an "032 adapter" . The 032 adapter alone is $85+.

After talking to Roadmaster, I will be going with the Blue Ox baseplate as I have a Blue Ox Acclaim tow bar.

--------------------------------------
Old 12-28-2006, 05:41 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One question I have with the Roadmaster offering is where do the safety cables attach? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! The eyes for the safety cable hook up are part of the tow bar attachments. Paul
Old 12-28-2006, 06:58 PM   #14

To keep the steering wheel unlocked, what will be the ignition switch position for towing? On my new Unlimited Sahara 4x4 with an automatic transmission, the steering is locked when the key is OFF...Is this normal?

My 2003 Liberty used to have a steering wheel unlock OFF position on the key.

Thanks

Quebec, Canada
Kstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote