Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ordered New Toad 2008 HHR 1LT

Tuesday, we ordered 2008 1LT Touring suspension, with the standard 2.2 L engine, Sandstone Metallic, Cashmere Leather Seating Surfaces, Sunroof, Running boards, and the 4-speed automatic Transmission. We will save $580 with the 2.2 L.

Drove a 2.4 L HHR 2LT with the sport suspension on Friday and Monday I drove a 2.2 L HHR 1LT with the touring suspension, and drove another 2.4 L HHR 2LT with the sport suspension and for us the touring suspension gives us the ride we prefer with the all seasons factory standard 16" wheels and tires.

What surprised me was that I thought we wanted the 2.4 L with more horsepower, however we found the 2.2 L with less horsepower was more responsive and peppier. Maybe a better description is as I depressed the gas pedal of the 2.4 I felt a hesitation before acceleration, kind of like it was bogging down a little. I did not feel that same hesitation in the 2.2. Pat said she felt the same thing about the 2.4 as a driver and a passenger.

It has been suggested that maybe the 2.4's, with the stiffer suspension, gives the impression of not being as responsive. Also suggested that the dealer may have put 87 octane instead of the recommended preium. Not sure what it was but we are happy with the 2.2 L engine.

We really like our Sunfire and it works very well as a "toad" and tows four wheels down very well behind our motorhome. Our Sunfire has the 2.2 L engine and is very responsive and is a peppy little car, we are selling or trading-in if it does not sell first. The reason we are trading is that Pat really-really likes the Chevy HHR ever since the first time she saw it in 2006, so we are ordered a new 2008 HHR.

Has any one else experienced that the 2.4 is less responsive than the 2.2 L?

Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ordered New Toad 2008 HHR 1LT

Tuesday, we ordered 2008 1LT Touring suspension, with the standard 2.2 L engine, Sandstone Metallic, Cashmere Leather Seating Surfaces, Sunroof, Running boards, and the 4-speed automatic Transmission. We will save $580 with the 2.2 L.

Drove a 2.4 L HHR 2LT with the sport suspension on Friday and Monday I drove a 2.2 L HHR 1LT with the touring suspension, and drove another 2.4 L HHR 2LT with the sport suspension and for us the touring suspension gives us the ride we prefer with the all seasons factory standard 16" wheels and tires.

What surprised me was that I thought we wanted the 2.4 L with more horsepower, however we found the 2.2 L with less horsepower was more responsive and peppier. Maybe a better description is as I depressed the gas pedal of the 2.4 I felt a hesitation before acceleration, kind of like it was bogging down a little. I did not feel that same hesitation in the 2.2. Pat said she felt the same thing about the 2.4 as a driver and a passenger.

It has been suggested that maybe the 2.4's, with the stiffer suspension, gives the impression of not being as responsive. Also suggested that the dealer may have put 87 octane instead of the recommended preium. Not sure what it was but we are happy with the 2.2 L engine.

We really like our Sunfire and it works very well as a "toad" and tows four wheels down very well behind our motorhome. Our Sunfire has the 2.2 L engine and is very responsive and is a peppy little car, we are selling or trading-in if it does not sell first. The reason we are trading is that Pat really-really likes the Chevy HHR ever since the first time she saw it in 2006, so we are ordered a new 2008 HHR.

Has any one else experienced that the 2.4 is less responsive than the 2.2 L?

Bob

Old 10-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #3

Bob, I didn't drive the 2.2L, only the 2.4L. I purchased it on the specs, and got the 2.4L Interestingly, the 2 engines get the same mileage. I'm quite happy with this engine.

Great toad. Roomy inside, sit high in the seats. Looks cool too.

You will enjoy this car.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Great toad. Roomy inside, sit high in the seats. Looks cool too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Don,

Thank you, for your post. Pat really-really liked the Chevy HHR ever since the first time she saw it in 2006.
We like the height of the seats off the floor and it is easy to get in and get out of, not like the Sunfire that is so low you have to fall into it and climb out of.
As we get older comfort and ease of operation is important.

What base plate did you use? Did the fascia have to be trimmed for the brackets?

Did you wire the lights with diodes and how did you route the wires to the tail lights?

Thanks again,
Bob
Old 10-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #5

I use a Blue Ox towbar. Blue Ox Face Plate w/ removable tabs BX1664 from RV Upgrades. Note the directions tell you to trim the fascia .... DON'T. I did and didn't need to.

No room in the rear lights for a bulb kit, so I used one of Blue Ox's diode kits to wire the car. Routed wire thru firewall, along driver's side kick plate, to the back. You can find channels to get to both sides (L/R) under the storage area in the back. Little access doors right next to the taillights in the back (from inside). Wasn't too bad.

A mechanic friend and I did the complete job (baseplate + wiring) in 4 hours.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:10 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey Don, can ya come over with yer friend and do our new HHR since you are experianced

The base plate have come in and I have also bought the diode kit from RVupgrades. Now I just need Pat to give up her new car.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:17 PM   #7

Name the time, Steve..
Old 10-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our 2008 HHR is scheduled for production week of October 28, 2007. A week to 10 days in transit should be delivered week of November 4th.

Bob
Old 11-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our HHR was ordered on October 9th delivered to dealer today November 6, 2007.
We are taking delivery Wednesday November 7, 2007.
Bob
Old 11-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #10

Hooray! You're gonna love it!
Old 11-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Don,

We just picked up our HHR at 12:00 noon today. We are really happy with our choice. We had to special order, we could not find our combination available anywhere.

2008 LT Sandstone Metallic, Cashmere Leather, 2.2L, Automatic, Sunroof, and Running Boards. msrp $20,980. paid $17,194.98 + tax

I was pleased with the delivery time. It was pretty quick. We ordered the HHR over the phone on Tuesday October 9th and the dealer said they placed the order Wednesday October 10th and we took delivery today 11/07/07. It came via rail to New Boston, MI from Mexico.

Now for the baseplate.

Bob

PS: Pat is really happy she has her "bowtie" back. Her GMC YukonXL was a substitute
for a Chevrolet Suburban back in 2001. The GMC dealer gave us a better trade in value on her 1996 Chevy Tahoe.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:15 AM   #12

Bob & Pat,
I hope you are enjoying your HHR as much as we are enjoying ours. When we went looking for on ewe found the opposite of your findings. We went with the 2.4 litre engine with a loaded LT2 package....It's a Great car. The mileage is Awesome and the performance it there also. My friends also have HHR's and one has the 2.2 litre engine and his mpg is not as good as ours or the other folks with the 2.4 litre engines.
I installed a Blue Ox removable tab baseplate. It took about 1 1/2 hours to do start to finish. It is an easy job.....
I installed the diodes into the lighting system.
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:27 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Raca-roni,
We really are enjoying the HHR sure seams like a lot of car for the money. We also like the touring suspension on the 1LT, the 2LT's we drove had the sport suspension quite a bit stiffer and felt all the road bumps more. I have read that the 2008 2.4's require premium gas to perform and get the better mileage.

Baseplate and wiring scheduled for install December 4th ordered the Roadmaster baseplate on-line for $289.50 net and free shipping.
The independent RV service is charging $390.00 for install with him furnishing all wiring parts and diodes.

Having Koni's installed on the motorhome Tuesday the 27th so we should be traveling in comfort this winter in Florida.

Bob
Old 11-25-2007, 04:12 PM   #14

Bob&Pat, when and where in Florida are you going?
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote