Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2008 Jeep Rubicon Toad question

Hiya all..

We just purchased a 2008 Jeep Rubicon to tow behind our HR Vacationer. It was already set up for towing and has a Roadmaster Invisibrake installed.

The Jeep owners manual states that the key has to be in the ACC position and the Neg cable on the battery needs to be removed prior to towing. I understand this procedure is to make sure the steering wheel lock is disabled.

My question to you folks is....I understand the Invisibrake draws power from the toad battery to operate. How can it work if the toad battery is disconnected?

In doing some research I found out that at some point in the 2008 model year Jeep changed the steering wheel and removed the lock but I did find the build date for our's and it's 11/07 so I have to assume it was built with the steering lock.

One more thing (honest)...I do understand that the Invisibrake does send a charge to the battery, is it enough to overcome leaving the key in the ACC position and the current drain that will cause?

Thank you for any insight you folks can provide....
flyinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinrob View Post
Hiya all..
We just purchased a 2008 Jeep Rubicon to tow behind our HR Vacationer. It was already set up for towing and has a Roadmaster Invisibrake installed.

The Jeep owners manual states that the key has to be in the ACC position and the Neg cable on the battery needs to be removed prior to towing. I understand this procedure is to make sure the steering wheel lock is disabled.

My question to you folks is....I understand the Invisibrake draws power from the toad battery to operate. How can it work if the toad battery is disconnected? It can't if the battery is disconnected. You would have to provide a charge line from the motor home directly to the brake. You could also do a charge line to the battery and leave it connected. The purpose of disconnecting the battery is to keep from running it down with the key on.

In doing some research I found out that at some point in the 2008 model year Jeep changed the steering wheel and removed the lock but I did find the build date for our's and it's 11/07 so I have to assume it was built with the steering lock. Don't assume it has one. With the key out, see if you can turn the steering wheel. If it does turn and doesn't lock then you may be lucky enough to not have a steering lock or the previous owner may have disabled it. If it locks, check to see if the first position of the key unlocks the steering but doesn't turn on the ACC. I towed a 2005 Jeep that had to be unlocked but it could be put in first position without turning on anything.

One more thing (honest)...I do understand that the Invisibrake does send a charge to the battery, is it enough to overcome leaving the key in the ACC position and the current drain that will cause? I'm not totally familiar with the Invisibrake, but I've never heard on a brake back charging a system???

Thank you for any insight you folks can provide....
Hope this makes sense and Welcome to IRV2!
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:32 AM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2007-...ing-48825.html

This old thread has some good info for you. Especially the part about pulling the IOD fuse instead of disconnecting the battery.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:31 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks very much for the responses. You provided enough info to get a handle on this.
flyinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:51 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Most people install a switch and relay to disable accessory power from the ignition switch to fuse panel. Many ways this can be accomplished without disconnecting the battery. Personally I'd disassemble the column and remove the steering wheel lock so the key doesn't need to be in the rig all the time. An open invitation to theft imho.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:11 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not familiar with the Invisibrake so can't help with that. Just noticed you are kinda new and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad