Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #1

2008 Malibu Toad??

Hi Everyone, I am looking at a 2008 Malibu to use as a Toad. Test drove a 2003 Malibu a few years ago and found the seats extremely uncomfortable, but it was able to be towed 4 wheels down. I have done some research and was told the 4 speed Auto can be towed but the 6 speed Auto cannot? I tried the Malibu forum but got nothing there. The local GM dealer does not know? Has anyone had any experience with the 2008 and up Malibu as a toad? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
2008 Dinghy Towing Guide

I tow a 2007 Malibu 4 down with no problem. I have toad mine over 30k miles so far. Mine has a 3.5L engine and a 4 speed transmission. Check the owners manual in the 2008 and see what it says. Motorhome magazine does not mention a difference between the 4 or 6 speed transmission. I have to pull the "ignition Sensor" fuse. I put an inline fuse and a toggle switch to make it easier to "pull".
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2011 Malibu LTZ, 6 speed auto, and have no problem towing all four down. The manual suggests pulling a fuse and keeping the tow speed at 65 MPH or less.

I do not pull the fuse, just turn off the auto lights, radio and HVAC and have yet to have any battery problems. I do stay at or below 65 MPH. No issues at all.

Marc
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You can look up the Malibu models and transmissions on the Remco Towing website. In a nutshell it was the Malibus withe 6T70 6 speed and the 4T45E 4 speed are towable without mods, but the 4T65E 4 speed requires a lube pump. A I read the info in the Remco listing, the 4T65E is only used in the SS model with the 3.9L engine.

Application Charts | Remco Towing
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:30 AM   #5

Thanks everyone. There is no substitute for experience and now I have been reassured to go ahead and take the plunge into toadland. This is my first class A and with all the great people out there in iRV2 land it is going well. Can't wait for the weather/climate to reach travel temperatures. I have already planned how I am going to wire up a toggle switch for the appropriate fuse(s)
Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #6

Yes - it is towable 4 down. I bought a brand new 2008 2LT 4 cyl 4 speed auto and fitted it with the Blue Ox base plate - then proceeded to tow it for well over 25,000 miles.

I just last week traded it for a 2007 Honda Odyssey (which I will also tow 4 down) because the Malibu transmission begin to cause some issues and GM dealer just started throwing parts at it in hopes of fixing it - never did so I bailed out before it bellied up.

Just be aware that the last few years of GM cars are "throwaway" ones - built to last to the warranty and then it isn't nickel and dime ----- it is hundreds and hundreds...

Good Luck

God Bless

Bill
Sepisllib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is a good place to buy base plates and diodes for your 08 Malibu.

Base Plates Tow Bars | etrailer.com

Tail Light Isolating Diodes (Qty 4) Hopkins Accessories and Parts 48955
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #8

I installed Blue Ox on my Malibu - and it was virtually impossible to tell it was there.

I plan on installing the Blue Ox base plate on my Odyssey also - none other for me.

Good Luck

God Bless

Bill
Sepisllib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad