Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2020, 02:36 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
2008 Wrangler toad ?

I am preparing my 2008 Wrangler 2 dr, 4WD, 6 Spd, manual for flat towing. Do I need to disconnect the battery cable or add some sort of disconnect switch. In my Grand Cherokee, I just switch to neutral, hook up and go.

Thanks,

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2020, 02:41 PM   #2

Yup, exactly. Do that with my 2018 wrangler.
But you should have a breaking system. Which needs 12v.
Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
You should not have to disconnect a battery cable on an '08 JK unless you have to leave the key in the ignition to unlock the steering. Your steering may or may not lock as they began doing away with the locking steering in '08. Some still have it and others don't. You can check by trying the steering with the key out to see if it will turn. If it will and doesn't lock, then you don't even have to leave the key in. The lock can be disabled and there are posts about how to do it. As for a power outlet, look inside the center console. On some JKs there is a hot all the time 12v outlet inside.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:03 PM   #4

Info should be in your owner's manual. On my 2004 Wrangler with the 5 speed manual transmission I put the transfer case in Neutral and the transmission in 2nd gear and unlock the steering with a dummy key (has no chip so won't start the engine). No charge line needed as I use an NSA Ready Brute towbar with the built in surge brake and unlocking the steering doesn't turn on anything electric so there is no battery drain while towing. Also the odometer doesn't accumulate mileage while towing. Again, do what your owner's manual says - it should have the correct procedure described under "Recreational Towing" or words to that effect. I've been towing this Jeep for about 6 years now without a problem.
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:04 AM   #5

My Wrangler is identical to yours. Good advice given above, especially to test if your steering locks. '08 was the transition year so some will lock and will have to have a key. In my case I added a battery disconnect, even after disemboweling the steering lock. The real variable is what kind of braking system you use and what its power consumption is. I have an Invisibrake which takes power from the battery. A long day's tow would draw it down too far. I finally added a charge line from the bus and all is good. Neither the charge line nor the battery disconnect were expensive.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:47 AM   #6

The 2018 is not equipped with a steering wheel lock. Transfer case in neutral and away you go. At least that is the way my 2018 is. Push button start.

I am surprised that the Invisibrake drains batteries. If you run with the coach lights on, the Invisibrake if properly set up charges the battery at a rate of 2 amps. That should be good to keep the toad battery charged for the duration of the trip
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:12 PM   #7

My bad on previous post, The brain didn’t recognize the difference between 2008 and 2018.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:14 AM   #8

Yes, the invisibrake is supposed to pick up a couple of amps charge from the battery when the bus lights are on. I tried it this way and consistently ran down the battery. I ran the first battery down often enough to ruin it. Maybe I brake too often, don't know, but until I got the charge line I always wondered if it was going to start. I would stop with a slight turn to the right so that my booster cables would reach the Wrangler from the bus batteries.
No longer a problem. I posted earlier that I still disconnected the battery but now that I think about it I quit doing that once I had the ignition steering lock disabled. The hood stays down.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:00 PM   #9

I had a 2006, now a 2015.
2006 had a steering lock and I had to leave the key on the first position, 2015 doesn't, I take the key and lock the doors.

Both Transfer in Neutral, trans in 6th (manual) or P (auto).

For braking, look at the NSA ReadyBrute Elite towbar+Brake and NSA Breakaway Kit, easy to install on both Jeeps. I use the Currie Baseplate on the JK but pulled from the bumper D-Ring holes on the TJ.

Steve
Old 01-30-2020, 05:26 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I tow the exact same Jeep model and year. With 2008 model year being the year they removed the steering lock I had to find out if mine locked. I was going to jack it up and try turning the steering wheel but my jack did not work to jack up the whole front end. I solved it by driving slowly down a hill and turning off the key and steering the jeep from side to side on the road ( it was a deserted road and no traffic to deal with.)

So, I found out I do not have a steering lock so all I do to prepare the jeep for towing is transfer case in neutral and I put into 4th gear for the tow. Key out and doors locked.

I have an invisibrake system so I had to have the battery connected for it to work. Had I had a steering lock I would have left the key in and removed the fuse that controls all the dash stuff the key turns on.
flyinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:25 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
My 2008 wrangler does not have the steering lock. And the manual describes the procedure for the automatic transmission, but nothing for the 6 speed. Would I not put the transfer in neutral and the 6 spd in neutral?

It seems from reading above, that some leave the tranny in a higher gear?

Thanks,

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:39 AM   #12

I started leaving my transmission in 4th after reading some advice in this forum. I guess I do it but I don't know if I really need to or not. The premise is that it keeps some parts of your transmission from spinning while towing. I can't recall what my manual said, and I'm nowhere near the Wrangler right now. It certainly hasn't hurt anything to leave it in gear. I do recall that the guys with automatic transmissions leave theirs in 'Park'......

Tags
toad