Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2014, 12:52 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
2009 GMC Sierra Flat Tow?

I am a newbie to the rv world, but not in the 19 year history as a tour bus driver.
Just inherited a 1996 country coach intrigue 40', diesel pusher. I would like to
KNOW if anyone else has similar vehicle or experience with dragging my truck behind? It's a 2009 GMC sierra crew, 5.5 bed, 4x4.
I would love to just trailer it, but it looks like some riff is going on the interweb about positively flat towing silverados.
Any similar personal experiences?

Thanks!!
CoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #2

If 4x4 does it have manual transfer case with neutral in it?
Old 08-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
If you have a neutral position on the transfer case you can tow it. Ours is electric shift and works fine. READ THE MANUAL!!!!!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Is there anyone with similar vehicle being - 2009 gmc sierra 4x4 sle crew cab that can tell me if you tow yours and what the sequence is or getting it into tow mode.

Thanks.
CoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDriver View Post
Is there anyone with similar vehicle being - 2009 gmc sierra 4x4 sle crew cab that can tell me if you tow yours and what the sequence is or getting it into tow mode.

Thanks.
It is on the owners manual, but this make it a bit easier if you cannot find it.

To shift the transfer case to NEUTRAL do the following:
1. Make sure the vehicle is parked so that it will not roll.
2. Set the parking brake and apply the regular brake pedal.
3. Start the vehicle or turn the ignition to RUN.
4. Put the transmission in NEUTRAL (N).
5. Shift the transfer case to Two-Wheel Drive High.
6. Simultaneously press and hold the Two-Wheel Drive High and Four-Wheel Drive Low buttons for 10 seconds. The red NEUTRAL light will
come on when the transfer case shift to NEUTRAL is complete.
7. If the engine is running, shift the transmission to REVERSE (R) for one second, then shift the transmission to DRIVE (D) for one second, or FIRST (1) for vehicles that have a manual transmission.
8. Turn the engine off, by turning the key to ACCESSORY.
9. Place the transmission shift lever in PARK (P).
10. Release the parking brake prior to moving the vehicle.
11. Turn the ignition to LOCK.

To shift out of NEUTRAL:
1. Set the parking brake and press and hold the regular brake pedal.
2. Shift the transmission to NEUTRAL (N) for an automatic transmission, or press the clutch pedal for vehicles that have a manual transmission. Then turn the ignition to RUN with the engine off.
3. Press the button for the desired transfer case shift position (Two-Wheel Drive High, Four-Wheel Drive High, or Four-Wheel Drive Low).
4. After the transfer case has shifted out of NEUTRAL the red light will go out.
5. Release the parking brake prior to moving the vehicle.
6. You may start the engine and shift the transmission to the desired position.
Excessively shifting the transfer case into or out of the different modes may cause the transfer case to enter the shift protection mode. This mode protects the transfer case from possible damage and only allows the transfer case to respond to one shift per 10 seconds. The transfer case may stay in this mode for up to three minutes.
7. After the transfer case has shifted out of NEUTRAL the red light will go out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captureshifter.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	70751  
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDriver View Post

Thanks.
CoachDriver,
Yep, we've got almost the same exact truck as you do and, we tow it all over the planet. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, tows it just fine. I did the total setup for getting it ready to tow. That included the base plates, yes I said "PLATES", (there's two, one for each side) and, I did the wiring. Talk about simple, it don't get much simpler. The truck, is an '11 GMC Sierra, Extended Cab, 4x4 w/ 6' bed.

And, on many of our trips, that truck is carrying a Rampage, motorcycle lift/carrier which, is hauling a 2008 Honda Goldwing, GL 1800 in the back of that truck. The total amount of mass being drug behind our coach when the lift and the bike are in there, about 6500 lbs. plus or minus a few. And, like stated, the coach handles it just fine. Yep, we slow on some grades, but, that's to be expected. We still get to our destinations.

Now, I can tell you the procedure for reading it for flat towing. It's actually quite simple.
1. Engine running
2. Parking brake set
3. Foot on service brake
4. Transmission in neutral
5. Turn transfer case shift knob all the way past 4L to the stop and, hold it there for about 5 seconds or so, until an "N" appears on the knob, that normally is not visible if not attempting this operation.
6. Once the "N" is visible, then release the knob and, put the transmission in park
7. Shut engine off, remove key, (ours has no steering lock so, the key can be removed or, left in there, but is in the "off" position).

You are now ready to flat tow it.

But, here's the deal, I strongly advise you READ THE MANUAL because, there's minor details that are changed, from year to year in those manuals, and model years of trucks. So, what we do could be a bit off of what's required for YOUR ACTUAL TRUCK!

If you'd like info on the base plate install or, the wiring of it for towing (lights etc.) please PM me and I'd be very happy to assist you in this matter. I wired it to use the stock tail lights as toad lights. That way, when someone's following me when we're towing that truck, the tail lights act the exact same way as they do if we're driving it. Good luck.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:05 AM   #7

We have towed our '12 GMC Sierra 4x4 automatic for over 22,000 miles with zero problems. We are happy with the 10,000# capacity Roadmaster tow bar and SMI Plug-n-Play. Our setup also utilizes the original brake/taillights while towing.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow