Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
2012 Cheverolet Colorado 4WD 2LT

We are looking at a 2012 Chevrolet Colorado 4WD 2LT to use as a tow vehicle. According to the manual it can be towed 4 down with no problems. Also, it is listed as a towd in the rv magazine. My question is, can I tow this with my current motorhome, a 2006 Monarch SE 30PDD with a V10. This mh has a combined weight rating of 25500 and came eqipped with a hitch rated at 5000 pounds. We current tow a Jeep Wrangler with no problems and have for years. Anyone have any thoughts or input on this matter? Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #2

Shouldn't be a problem - the Colorado weighs less than 4k, and it's easy to put the transfer case in neutral - then turn off engine, put trans in park, and take the key out.
Kent & Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
We towed a 2005 Colorado over 50,000 miles. It was a Z71 Crew which weighed 4200 lb. If you don't get skid plates (Z71 package) you'll weigh a couple hundred pounds less. It's a good, handy toad.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:37 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for information. I am going to take one to a set of CAT scales and get a true weight before I buy one. I dont foresee any towing issues but I want to try and cover all the bases before I get rid of my Wrangler. We have towed Wranglers for years with no issues and now just want to change to a small truck so I can get rid of my crewcab Silverado which I no longer need. My daughter will more than likely end up with the Wrangler as she wants it pretty bad. Again thanks to all for helping.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
rjw

I tow a 2011 Z71 Colorado ,pulls as easy as the jeep wrangler that I was towing.The jeep was fun to drive,but the Colorado has a lot more room if you want to put some one in the back seat.
rjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
@rjw, thanks. I hate to get rid of my Jeep, I've had one a long time. But I no longer have need for the Silverado and if I go with the Colorado, I can give my daughter the Jeep, she can pay the insurance, tag etc.. Never had a "small" truck before, but I like the Colorado and it is towable 4 down.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #7

put in Park

can you briefly describe why the transmission is put in Park and not Neutral

tks,

gil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent & Peggy View Post
Shouldn't be a problem - the Colorado weighs less than 4k, and it's easy to put the transfer case in neutral - then turn off engine, put trans in park, and take the key out.
gilunionhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
@gilunionhall, Not being a mechanic, I cannot give you the dynamics of why this is done this way. All I can tell you is that the owners manual states it can be towed 4 down with no modification following the guidelines in the manual. The manual says to put in transfer case in netural, the transmission in park and leave the key in the on position. This is same as I do for my Jeep Wrangler. The dealer also checked and was told the same thing as stated above. Also, Trailer Life lists it as a 4 down towable and shows no mods needed. Other folks tow them this way as well and have had no problems. I have not yet made the move to the 4 door, 4WD Colorado, but am in the process now.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The tranmission is in park to prevent damage. If left in neutral the transmission could be caused to spin by friction in the fluids in the driveline. My Colorado has no steering lock, so I can remove the key.

Glenn
Old 01-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw View Post
I tow a 2011 Z71 Colorado ,pulls as easy as the jeep wrangler that I was towing.The jeep was fun to drive,but the Colorado has a lot more room if you want to put some one in the back seat.
Do you remember about what it cost to get the tow bracket bought and installed on the Colorado? I currently tow a Wrangler but am thinking about the Z71 4X4 crew cab since it will ride better and have more room than the Wrangler. We used to cover lots of the Colorado mountain trails but since the wife was diagnosed with border line retina detachment her optomitrist has suggested avoiding rough bumpy roads.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote