Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2016, 01:12 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Had the same problem with my '05 Odyssey. It's not the size of the battery that needs increasing, just add a charge line like I did and the problem is solved permanently.
X2 on the charge line. We've been towing a 2012 CR-V with standard battery for 4 years with no problems. No fuse pulling or bypasses, no Toad Charge.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssignor View Post
Did you have the battery charger connected to your charging line? I do not believe the line alone will charge the battery.

Not sure what you mean. The charging line runs from the coach to the 7 pin connector. From there to the CR-V battery. As a side note: After the latest tow, I did not have a run down battery with the Group 24 in the CR-V.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post
Not sure what you mean. The charging line runs from the coach to the 7 pin connector. From there to the CR-V battery. As a side note: After the latest tow, I did not have a run down battery with the Group 24 in the CR-V.
Pretty simple fix for money and no need to remember to pull a fuse etc. Glad to hear. Some folks will try all sorts of gizmos instead of the obvious.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:30 PM   #32

My 2014 CR-V came with a group 35 battery. I don't believe one could fit a bigger battery into the space because of other engine components. I added a charge line from the MH and it works well, even with a BrakeBuddy which requires 12 volts.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post
I guess I am confused. The charge line from the 7 pin connects directly to your battery and charges it? I purchased this https://rvibrake.com/products/towed-...ant=8804388741

I did not think the line from the 7 pin would actually charge my battery.
ssignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #34

Quote:
I guess I am confused. The charge line from the 7 pin connects directly to your battery and charges it? I purchased this https://rvibrake.com/products/towed-...ant=8804388741

I did not think the line from the 7 pin would actually charge my battery.
If you look at this device, it is wired to the connector on the toad for a 12V supply which is connected to the MH battery to get its power source.
In reality, I think this is simply a fused diode with an LED light. You still have to have a battery connection at both ends (toad and MH) to make it work. Fancy name for a charge line, but it looks nice.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:24 AM   #35

I bought the Odyssey battery tray to put in my '07 CRV. WILL NOT FIT! I don't know when they enlarged the battery area on the Gen 3 CRV's, but the '07 doesn't have enough room.

Installed the fuse switch, and it solved the problem. I have a ReadyBrake.

Anyone want my unused Odyssey battery tray?
Old 11-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
If you look at this device, it is wired to the connector on the toad for a 12V supply which is connected to the MH battery to get its power source.
In reality, I think this is simply a fused diode with an LED light. You still have to have a battery connection at both ends (toad and MH) to make it work. Fancy name for a charge line, but it looks nice.
I called them to ask about it and you are correct, it has diodes within in it and some other circuitry and it will prevent back flow to the MH.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #37

Quote:
I called them to ask about it and you are correct, it has diodes within in it and some other circuitry and it will prevent back flow to the MH.
FYI... I bought this maintainer and I believe it does the same for half the price. Just a simple power diode, fuse, wires, and a small plastic case. I think they threw in a couple of zip ties. Mine is working fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-39332.../dp/B004RCXB8A
Old 11-05-2016, 08:56 AM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Seems to be a little confusion on how to wire everything up for a charging line. First off, you can use the 7pin rear plug on the MH. It may or may not be prewired for a 12v charging line. You are going to have to get your volt meter out and do some testing. Some coaches require the engine to be running to put out any voltage on the pin marked +12v other coaches have incomplete wiring and the charge line is not connected to the pin. You need to check first before you start on the car.

Most of us use a 7 pin to 6 pin connector cable and a 6 pin receptacle on the car. Normally on 4 of these positions are used. I rewired my 6 pin connector to supply +12v on one pin and a ground connection on the other pin. The ground connection is tied to my vehicle ground and the +12 line is connected to my ToadCharge. The ToadCharge is connected to the car's battery.

I used the ToadCharge because it only supplies voltage to the car's battery when the output voltage from the motorhome is 14v or higher. This prevents the motorhome from discharging your car battery or vice versa. You can come close using a fuse and a diode if you are making your own system.

The use of the charge line can only be thought of as a battery maintainer. It is not of sufficient gauge to carry enough current to charge the battery - it just keeps the battery at peak charge. For those of us with an electric powered braking system, this does the job but you still have to power off things in your towed. Lights off, fan off, radio off, etc.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Seems to be a little confusion on how to wire everything up for a charging line. First off, you can use the 7pin rear plug on the MH. It may or may not be prewired for a 12v charging line. You are going to have to get your volt meter out and do some testing. Some coaches require the engine to be running to put out any voltage on the pin marked +12v other coaches have incomplete wiring and the charge line is not connected to the pin. You need to check first before you start on the car.

Most of us use a 7 pin to 6 pin connector cable and a 6 pin receptacle on the car. Normally on 4 of these positions are used. I rewired my 6 pin connector to supply +12v on one pin and a ground connection on the other pin. The ground connection is tied to my vehicle ground and the +12 line is connected to my ToadCharge. The ToadCharge is connected to the car's battery.

I used the ToadCharge because it only supplies voltage to the car's battery when the output voltage from the motorhome is 14v or higher. This prevents the motorhome from discharging your car battery or vice versa. You can come close using a fuse and a diode if you are making your own system.

The use of the charge line can only be thought of as a battery maintainer. It is not of sufficient gauge to carry enough current to charge the battery - it just keeps the battery at peak charge. For those of us with an electric powered braking system, this does the job but you still have to power off things in your towed. Lights off, fan off, radio off, etc.

I did have a specific wire run to the 7 pin connection and then in to CRV battery. I just don't think it could maintain the little battery. Now with the group 24 I hope it can. So far, so good.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:17 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RVI battery charger result

Ok first trip using the RVI battery charger. Had to jump my CRV when I arrived yesterday after 4hrs. with toad connected.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:05 PM   #41

RVi battery charger is only good for 1 amp. A lot more power is needed for a brake system.
In Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:12 PM   #42
RV LIFE Support Team

Did you pull the fuse or use a Fusemaster? You need to do that also.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, toad, tow, towing