Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2016, 03:16 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question 2012 CRV toad and dead battery after towing for 4 - 5 hrs or so

I have a 2012 CRV automatic and so far twice when I go to unhook it the battery is dead and won't start. I have all radio/nav/ac off. I have the RVI2 brake system plugged into the accessory plug. This is very frustrating having to jump it when I get to our destination. It is a new battery installed in April. Anybody else have this issue?
ssignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 03:32 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I plugged my brake -in-a-box into a jumper box until I bought and installed a Toad Charge.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:33 PM   #3

This is not unusual with the CRV. Excellent toad but the battery size is a problem.
The OEM battery is a group 51, 440 CCA battery. Not much larger than your basic Lawn Tractor. It is easily replaced with a group 24, 800+ CCA battery by removing the battery and two piece plastic battery tray and installing a new two piece battery tray for a Honda Odessy and the new larger group 24 battery.

The P/Ns for the battery tray are:
31521-TK8-A00. And. 31531-TK8-A00. The pair are less than $20 and readily available from your Honda parts department.
The Group 24 battery will cost you about $150 for a top rated 850+ CCA battery.
The replacements are drop in. No modifications required.

Once you make this change, your dead battery problems are GONE. Guaranteed!
I have travelled for two Long days without unhooking and just running the CRV in the AM for a few minutes to lube the transmission and no dead battery.
No other add on devices or fuse pulling required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0555.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	141701  
Old 10-16-2016, 03:40 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you look in your manual, you should pull the #7 fuse and this wont happen. In my 2014 I put in a switchable fuse and just turn I off when I tow. I don't have the problem anymore and the switchable fuse link cast 14.95 online and took me 30 mins to install.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlineskater View Post
If you look in your manual, you should pull the #7 fuse and this wont happen. In my 2014 I put in a switchable fuse and just turn I off when I tow. I don't have the problem anymore and the switchable fuse link cast 14.95 online and took me 30 mins to install.

Unless your braking device requires power from the Acc Plug which goes dead when you pull the fuse.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:18 PM   #6

Steve-

If you're a belts and suspenders kind of person you may want to augment "dennis45's" recommendation to install a larger battery with activating a charge line between the coach and toad batteries.

Some of us are either stuck with small batteries in our toads, or prefer not to run the toad just to charge the battery (on a multi-day trip, for example). A charge line takes care of that.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #7

As indicated, it's a common problem with the CRV. We installed the disconnect switch but don't have enough experience yet to know if it works on a long trip. We'll have a better idea in a week when we will tow for 300 miles.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:35 PM   #8
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Look at the new CRV 's - larger battery comes standard it is just too bad it can't be towed.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:52 AM   #9
RV LIFE Support Team

We put in a Fuse master solved the problem

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
The OEM battery is a group 51, 440 CCA battery. Not much larger than your basic Lawn Tractor. It is easily replaced with a group 24, 800+ CCA battery

Once you make this change, your dead battery problems are GONE. Guaranteed!
I have travelled for two Long days without unhooking and just running the CRV in the AM for a few minutes to lube the transmission and no dead battery.
No other add on devices or fuse pulling required.
Dennis, do you also power a braking device in the CR-V.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Dennis, do you also power a braking device in the CR-V.

I use the BlueOx Patriot which requires 12V power. Problem I used to have before I replaced the battery, was that Honda says to pull the #7 (I could be wrong on the number) fuse when towing. When you pull that fuse the Aux Power is disabled also. Thus no power to the Patriot so this was not a viable option. Honda tested the battery and charging system on three occasions and could not find fault.
Of course every time the battery is run down, it gets weaker until it got to the point where I left the lights on one day while filling up with gas. In the few minutes it took to fill, the battery was stone dead. That was the last time I had a dead battery.

Since I replaced the battery, I have towed for two straight long days without unhooking. I ran the car for a few minutes in the morning to provide lube to the transmission and off we went. Sooooo, much nicer not to have to dig out booster cables and fiddle with a dead battery at the end of the day. Not to mention it's embarrassing.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:01 AM   #12

Thanks Dennis, sounds like the bigger battery solves several issues.

I was considering a charging line from the coach, but the bigger battery sounds like a better fix.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:01 AM   #13

Rexhall Owners Group
I had a fuse disconnect switch installed when the dealer installed the tow plate in my CRV. When I discovered that there was no power to the acc. plug for the Patriot, I had a direct wired plug installed that was not switched. It has worked so far, but if the original battery ever gives up the ghost, i will be installing the larger one.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:13 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
There is an easy solution to all of this - and you won't have to pull any fuses, disconnect any cables, etc. Add a charge line from the motorhome to car. There are several commercial products to chose from: ToadCharge (LSL Products) is one; the other is from RVi products. Your battery stays charged and no more problems.

I have a Honda Fit and the battery is about the size of a motorcycle battery. My RVi brake requires 12V to operate. I added a ToadCharge before I started towing and have never had a problem with the battery running down.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, toad, tow, towing