Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #1

2012 Jeep Patriot on dolly..

In a couple of other threads it has been said that the 2012 Patriot with the automatic CVT transmission should not be towed on a dolly.
I don't understand that, the front wheels are up on a dolly.
Any info appreciated.

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2012, 06:20 AM   #2

According to the operators manual, The 2012 Jeep Patriot can be
towed using a Dolly only with automatic transmission and
Front Wheel drive...with Front wheels off the ground only...

We have a 4X4 2012 patriot with manual transmission which can be towed
4 down...A Tow Dolly cannot be used with manual transmission...

Hope this helps,
Charlie
RvWithHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #3

Yes, that's what my owners manual says too.
Maybe I misunderstood what the other posters were talking about, and they meant that the manual trans. shouldn't go on a dolly.

And speaking of that, why shouldn't you use a dolly with a manual transmission? It's not like having it in Park will keep it from coming off the dolly if your straps break.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
Yes, that's what my owners manual says too.
Maybe I misunderstood what the other posters were talking about, and they meant that the manual trans. shouldn't go on a dolly.

And speaking of that, why shouldn't you use a dolly with a manual transmission? It's not like having it in Park will keep it from coming off the dolly if your straps break.

I also have a 2012 Jeep Patriot with the cvt auto that I plan to put on a tow dolly. Does anyone know if this thing has a steering wheel lock, I have turned the wheel with the key out and it does not seem to have one. So do you tie the steering wheel down or leave the key on?????
Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #5

Well, if you turned the wheel and it didn't lock (with key out), I agree that it doesn't have a steering wheel lock.
So why would you tie the steering wheel or leave key on? The front wheels are strapped to the dolly and will turn slightly when you corner, and the only reason to leave key on is so steering wheel isn't locked and can turn a little.
If the Patriot has no steering lock, life just became a little easier for both of us.

Just went out and checked my Patriot, NO WHEEL LOCK!!

Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #6

Jeep Patriot on tow dolly

The reason I ask, is that the tow dolly manual (Master Tow & also U-HAUL) says to lock the wheel (to center) either by the key lock or by strapping it to the seat. Also I read on a Jeep forum that you have to turn the steering wheel nearly all the way around to lock it. I CHECKED THAT OUT AND MY 2012 JEEP PATRIOT WITH CVT DOES NOT HAVE A STEERING WHEEL LOCK ON IT AT ALL, SO NO NEED FUSS WITH THE KEY. The concern I had is that if the wheels lock in a radical off center position when you turn a corner, you are going to do some serious damage.
The last time I used a tow dolly was in the late 80's with a car that had a conventional steering lock and I just locked it centered.

I think the idea is to allow the dolly to do the swiveling and keep the car steering locked to prevent it from coming in contact with the dolly fenders. So a least in my case the answer is to strap the steering wheel in the centered position.
Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #7

"I think the idea is to allow the dolly to do the swiveling and keep the car steering locked to prevent it from coming in contact with the dolly fenders. So a least in my case the answer is to strap the steering wheel in the centered position."

Don't agree with you on that one, I think the the front wheels need to turn a little on a dolly. I can see the wheels turn slightly on the dolly when I am making a sharp turn, and I think that takes a lot of stress out of the steering assembly. Have towed 2 different vehicles that way without any problems and will tow the 2012 Patriot that way.

I think the problem may be that the attached ramps will hit the vehicle, I have read others on here complain about that. But my dolly has ramps that aren't attached, so that is not a problem for me, and there is no way my fenders would touch without breaking something else first.

What type of dolly do you have or are going to buy.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our Demco KK-460 says the steering wheel MUST be locked or tied down in some way. So I do.
Our previous dolly was a locally built unit and it also required the steering to be locked. So I did.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #9

Does the KK-460 have steering (turning) wheels on the dolly, which would remove the need for the wheels on the vehicle to turn? I was talking about a dolly that doesn't have steering wheels or a swivel deck. Guess I wasn't specific enough in my statement. Sorry.

I am happy with my dolly.
I hope you are happy with your dolly, I didn't buy that kind because it cost twice as much and is twice as heavy as mine, and does exactly the same thing.
God, I love this country with the freedom of choice that we enjoy.

Tags
dolly