Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2013, 05:07 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
If you have an ignition lock the manual is correct. If you do not have an ignition lock you you can ignore the manual.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2013, 05:28 AM   #16

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Up to '11, the steering wheel locked (my '08 did), the '12 does not that is why the manual was updated. My '12 manual I received w/jeep was wrong (along w/other early mfg). Updated manual is correct as others have stated.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We too tow a '12 Wrangler. No key in the ignition (as was required for our '07).
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #18

Thanks for all the responses. My question has been answered. This Jeep was originally purchased in Dec. 2011 so it was an early version, I guess it was before the manual was changed. It is a poor manual as there is absolutely no mention in the manual about the traction control system nor the hill descent system. I haven't put the CD in, maybe it is more in depth?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #19

If you google "jeep blog" you will find more than you can ever need.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #20

I'm on the JK forum, I figured this would be a better place for a towing question. I'll check out the other things over there.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #21

I installed the Toad Charger on my Jeep so the battery wont run down while towing using the Patriot breaking system from Blue Ox. Also use the Currie Enterprise tow plate.
Mody n Domy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Somewhere in mid 08, the steering lock was gone. From that point forward you do not need to leave your key in..... period.
The cool tech harness posed one problem for me. Because the RV uses the same bulb for braking as it does for the turn signal, I remove the "M1" fuse when towing. When coming to a stop and using the signals, the blinker would stop until I let off the brake. Something to do with the third brake light on the jeep. Because I do use the Ready Brake Aux Braking, there is no worry of a drained battery.

Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wrangler stopped using a steering wheel lock sometime late in 2008, so definitely anything from 2009 does not have a steering wheel lock.

There is a slight parasitic battery draw with the ignition off on a Wrangler, and just about any other late model vehicle. Jeep was just being overly precautionary with their previous recommendation to disconnect the battery. I have towed mine for days without starting it and have had no dead battery problems.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
My Wrangler is a 2007 and I have no ignition lock.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
I too have a 2012 and your manual is wrong as you've heard from others, but I set my 2010 up the same way as my 12. I've towed both of them over 20k miles with the transfer case in neutral and the shifter in park, key off and out of the ignition. Absolutely no issues thus far.
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:37 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
Hi Ralph.

What is a toad battery charge system? Why would you need that. Any info you can give me is appreciated.
Thanks
Rick.
Rick,
The Toad-Charge system charges the Jeep battery anytime the Jeep is attached to the motorhome and the motorhome is engine is running. If the Jeep battery is lower than the coach the Jeep battery is being charged.
My Jeep Unlimited is the Sahara model with all the electronics they offer. When I first towed it I left the key in the ACC position like the manual said but did not disconnect the battery. I thought I was safe because the SMI Air-Force One braking system doesn't require any electrical power to activate the Jeep's power brakes. Eight of the first ten times I towed it the Jeep battery was dead. I had the Toad-Charge system installed to solve that issue. Shortly after that I discovered that there was no steering wheel lock and no need to leave the key in the ignition. No problem ever since. So now the Toad-Charge system keeps the battery at 100% even with a lot of braking and the lights are on, such as night driving. Probably don't need the Toad-Charge with the current setup but I'm very happy with it, especially when I've driven three or four days with lights on and never starting the Jeep.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:44 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ralph

I tow my liberty for 5 months last summer. Key in the ignition (to the first click. No dash power lights on, but steering wheel unlocked. I have an RVI Brake system. I've driven 6 hours. Spend s night at a truck stop and drive another 4 hours. And my car starts right up. Why are you lights on at night. Aren't they powered through the coach?
I'm not understanding what is draining the battery in these cars. Any ideas
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #28

My Wrangler toad has over 10,000 miles on it just following me. I have no charge line to it. Never had any battery issues, even towing for 4 days without starting it. Easy-peasy.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote