Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
2012 Jeep Wrangler wiring

I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler, and will be towing behind our 08 Revolution, does anyone know of or have experience with a "plug and play" type of wiring system to run Toad lights.

Thanks Wes
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesinRockies View Post
I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler, and will be towing behind our 08 Revolution, does anyone know of or have experience with a "plug and play" type of wiring system to run Toad lights.

Thanks Wes
I have a Cherokee & had a tow package installed by a company that doesn't do anything but rec. vehicle work. I asked them the same question you did & he stated that Jeep partially installed a "plug & play" harness but left out certain components that made it useless. They ran wires to the rear lights & wired them in using diodes. I realize we have different models but I never found a "plug & play" for a Wrangler either.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Wrangler toad wiring

I tow a 2012 Wrangler JKU Rubicon behind my new Entegra. I previously towed the Jeep behind my old Monaco. Do a web search for "Cool Tech". They sell a complete wiring harness that plugs into the Jeep taillight connectors. The directions require careful reading, but it isn't hard. The hardest thing is fishing the wire up the center of the frame ( not absolutely required). The easiest way to connect the RV end is to wire it to a 4wire flat , boat/trailer connection. Most RVs have a 4 wire and a 6 wire connector. If not, you may require some diodes because most automobiles ( not Wranglers) have amber turn signals and red stop signals. Your RV probably has both ambers and reds. If the manufacturer supplied a 4wire plug your job is easy because it will blink the red Wrangler lights and use the red lights for stop also. On my setup I had to run a 6 wire cord&connector to the RV to give me the 3wires + grnd, and two more wires that light up a led in the RV when the Toad brakes are applied by my Roadmaster Brakemaster cylinder.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #4

Here is the link:

Cool Tech LLC. Niche products for unique and exclusive vehicles.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
I tow a 2012 Wrangler JKU Rubicon behind my new Entegra. I previously towed the Jeep behind my old Monaco. Do a web search for "Cool Tech". They sell a complete wiring harness that plugs into the Jeep taillight connectors. The directions require careful reading, but it isn't hard. The hardest thing is fishing the wire up the center of the frame ( not absolutely required). The easiest way to connect the RV end is to wire it to a 4wire flat , boat/trailer connection. Most RVs have a 4 wire and a 6 wire connector. If not, you may require some diodes because most automobiles ( not Wranglers) have amber turn signals and red stop signals. Your RV probably has both ambers and reds. If the manufacturer supplied a 4wire plug your job is easy because it will blink the red Wrangler lights and use the red lights for stop also. On my setup I had to run a 6 wire cord&connector to the RV to give me the 3wires + grnd, and two more wires that light up a led in the RV when the Toad brakes are applied by my Roadmaster Brakemaster cylinder.

Is this the one? I too have a Rubicon
Cool Tech LLC. JK Tow Harness Kit
Old 12-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Yep. The CoolTech harness.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I ran three wires front to back and used diodes. Wires are easy to get to behind the tail lights in order to install the diodes.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Jeep makes a wiring harness specifically for 4 down towing. Easy to install. The harness plugs into the jeep wiring behind the passenger kick plate. It extends out to the front of the jeep and has a flat 4 way plug for the lights. Much easier than any after market solution or making one yourself out of diodes.

My jeep dealer had it in stock.

Mark
2011 jeep wrangler
Old 12-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Mark B, got a part number?
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #10

I'll be danged: Tow Vehicle Wiring Harness - 82211156AB | Mopar

Tow Vehicle Wiring Harness

Part # 82211156AB
Categories: Carriers & Cargo Hauling Accessories MSRP $178.00 Price may vary by dealer
Old 12-18-2012, 04:56 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That MOPAR harness is nice indeed. Looks like a permanent 7 way I would have to find a place for with no weather protection though.
The CoolTech harness is cheaper @$140 and includes a removal connection to the umbilical and a plate to mount the connector.
I went with the Cooltech.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mevman View Post
That MOPAR harness is nice indeed. Looks like a permanent 7 way I would have to find a place for with no weather protection though.
The CoolTech harness is cheaper @$140 and includes a removal connection to the umbilical and a plate to mount the connector.
I went with the Cooltech.
With the Cooltech Did you have to run wires back to the tail lights, seems with the Jeep one you don't have to do that, I could be wrong.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
That is pretty neat. Since I pull another trailer behind the Jeep when it is hooked to the MH, I have to have a separate plug for the lights on the trailer so they will work when I'm hooked up. Gets sort of complicated. I ran a new wire all the way to the back just for the trailer lights. The diodes take care of the Jeep lights.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
The Mopar harness has a disconnect and a weather plug that I positioned behind the grill. When you get ready to tow, you simply add the extension with the 7 way round plug. Another advantage to this rig is that it doesnt void or complicate any warranty issue.

Mark

Tags
wiring