Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Yes the lack of power seats in the 2013 CRV was unbelievable. That was part of my 1990's interior comment. Plus to me the seats were not very comfortable due to their non supportive antique style.
As far as good fuel mileage, I would hope so, as the power is just slightly above that of a snowmobile.
But they sure do have a loyal following.
HMMM....Not sure about this. LOL

I have power seats and find them comfortable. I also didn't by it to be a dragster but I haven't found it to be lacking in any serious manner.

Just sayin'
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
HMMM....Not sure about this. LOL

I have power seats and find them comfortable. I also didn't by it to be a dragster but I haven't found it to be lacking in any serious manner.

Just sayin'
You only have a power seat if you got the leather option. And how about the passenger?
Glad you are happy with it. That is why there are hundreds of new cars on the market.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
The 2011 Ford Escape is towable. The new 2103 is not. See the FMCA Towables guide for more info.
I think Ford pulled the Escape sometime in 2011, the 6F35 trans is in the 2011, 12 and 13 V6 and 4 cyl Escape, they lowered the trans fluid level trying to solve the problem but thats not working that good. I think the fluid is foaming when it is towed 4 down and foam cant lube the bearings, Its like on the Honda when trans fluid is checked with the engine running and in park and filled to the full mark it is way over filled and will foam creating a problem , on the Honda the trans to operating temp and engine is supposed to be shut off and trans checked in I think 1 minute.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm a CR-V aficionado.

But I don't think given the choices that a mistake can be made here except as to weight given the need for a automatic transmission. Three good choices.

As part of your decision making compare the consumers reports about reliability, resale, and best buy and test drive each. I'm personally suspect of GMC reliability compared to the CR-V.

An unscientific survey: CR-V and Wrangler are the most popular tows but they would be followed closely by the other models you named it seems. All good choices, you can flip a coin and get it right.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
The Honda is one of the very few you can tow with an auto trans.
Not really, there are lots of others.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
We did LOTS of research on this question and after pretty exhaustive work, decided to purchase a 2012 CR-V EX AWD. Bought it in late November, 2011 when they first came out. Right out of the gate, it was a great car. Still love it!!!! So much so that we are trading it to move up to a 2013 EX-L as soon as it comes in in early June. Same color, slightly better equipment.

I am a car nut and have owned just about all of them. I have a Mercedes and my wife has a Lexus for our daily drivers. Frankly, we BOTH find ourselves wanting to use the CR-V more often than not and we both love all the features. The CR-V has been particularly adept at snow in our area in Erie, Pennsylvania (which we get plenty of). Last winter, DW left the Lexus in the garage and only drove the CR-V (and was quite happy to do so).

I have to say that I am a bit puzzled about the harsh tone of the criticism I have seen posted on this thread about the CR-V by az99. Did you have some particularly bad experience with Honda or a past CR-V? Wow! Sorry if you did. All I can say is that our experience -- and the experience of several posters on this thread that I can see -- is about 180 degrees from what you describe.

We find the interior styling to be upscale, functional, quiet, user friendly. We find the exterior to be equally stylish and nice. What's not to like about that?

Perhaps most importantly, we have found our CR-V to be a perfect toad, just as we hoped it would be. It has proved to be easy to hook up and decouple, good on gas, easy to drive, nice looking. Have had plenty of inquiries by other motor homers who like the look of our car -- and we got a color that matches our coach to boot!

Looking forward to a few more goodies in the EX-L but, as others have said correctly, the cars are identical other than the few additional things that come on the EX-L. Why buy a second car two years later unless it is a real winner?!

Oh yes, the question of resale. In our case, it was super. We got more from our two year old CR-V than either Kelly or Edmunds suggested for Private Party figures -- and that from the Honda dealer on the Trade.

Pretty tough to argue with any of this as far as I'm concerned.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #35

Own a 2008 CRV now with 110,000 mi. too many people buy into the "honda mystique". They have as many issues as any other manufacturer.

first thing to do when researching cars - register with an online enthusiast forum. for the most part, you'll find all the warts in a hurry. Problem with most grocery getters, is that the level of intelligence on those forums is a lot less than on forums where performance is a focus.

Our CRV has the paint simply disappearing off the hood and doors. Seems pretty common for light metallic blue vehicles going back to my 63 Olds Dynamic 88. Honda hasn't solved that one either (or is it PPG?).

Car EATS tires. OEM bridgestones - ~25K mi. Michelin Latitude tours ~50K mi. Bridgestone dualers ~32K mi. Now have Falkens. Vehicle needs LTs but few options with 17" rims and the smallest 17" tire.

Door locks have a mind of their own - very common problem across multiple years, now a class action lawsuit.

Structure has seriously loosened up - now creaks with EVERY application of the gas and again with brake.

Sat in the back (trunk) area changing shoes after a hike. Broke the spare tire well cover. I only weigh 220....

Seats are torture racks. I can't have my wallet in and drive. also no leg support, hips are sore after a couple hours because my leg rotates because there's nothing to brace on.

Sunroof blew out - yes out, not in. looked like someone shot it with a 12 gauge from inside.

Engine is buzzy and loud, takes a LOT of effort to drive over 70 or so (upshifts and then downshifts, ad naseum)

None of the manufacturers have a secret sauce. more often than not, in a global just-in-time economy, they all use the same component suppliers (seats, seat belts, sensors, tires, brakes, etc)
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #36

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
We have an Element and a CRV, both have adequate power for our needs. Above 4,000 RPM where the iVTEC system switches to the secondary cam profile and fuel map it becomes a completely different engine, but most people are conditioned to keep the RPMs low. To me it feels a little like a 2-stroke coming 'on the pipe'. It's a Honda. It likes to be revved.
Our '05 Ody is like that, the '08 Civic not so much. To accelerate smoothly with the Ody I have to back off the throttle when the cam and fuel profiles kicks in.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm amused by the vitriol expressed about the CR-V. There is real animus in the offing of the opinions expressed.

There is no "mystique" just a lot of satisfied owners. And in context no one is claiming the CR-V is the end all, just that for four down towable cars available (that market) it represents a very desirable choice among many.

It is not the choice of most because they lack for intelligence, it just has a proven track record and the vast majority of people that own them like them for a multitude of good reasons. No mystery there.

As with all autos they are not bullet proof, my 04 after 90,000 miles and way out of warranty had the much discussed AC compressor failure. Honda made it right as well they should and made repairs for an acceptable fee. I'm satisfied.

It's true they are road noisy.

But the tires on mine have lasted a respectable number of miles and the cover on the rear tire is a sturdy handy folding table which we frequently use. Very practical.

If I had been buying light blue metallic colored cars since 1963 and the paint faded on them I would not have chosen that color in 2008. Grocery getter intuition I guess.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Some very interesting comments, and some I disagree. For example the seats. I am over 200 and 5 11 so fairly average and the seats are great, one of the reasons I bought it.

Something that is interesting to me is that before I got the cR-V I did not notice them on the road much. Now it seems I see them EVERYWHERE. And sometimes I see one from a distance that turns out to be not a CR-V but styled to look like one.

Somewhat related is that I see a lot of TV ads for Honda. That is for Accord, Odyssey,etc but NOT CR-V. I don't even see them in the background in their Honda days ad. Why don't they advertise?

I also have a Lexus but have put over 10K miles on the CR-V since October.

As previously noted, no vehicle is perfect. My primary complaint is road noise. My other complaints are more like preferences of things I could have had if I wanted to pay more for power seats.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #39
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I have to agree that the seats in previous models (2012) were rock hard - to us - and deterred us from buying one. The 2012 seats are much better and after driving it for 7,000K while in the US we liked them.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
We towed a Honda Element for 5 yrs the seats in it were very comfortable even on a long trip the only complaint we had was road noise it was really loud we then bought a 2010 Chevy Equinox and it was a nice car but again road noise but not as bad as the Element we now tow a Ford Edge and it is comfortable and the road noise is way down this thing really scoots and about the same milage as thr Element but nether touches the Equinox in MPG
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #41

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Somewhat related is that I see a lot of TV ads for Honda. That is for Accord, Odyssey,etc but NOT CR-V. I don't even see them in the background in their Honda days ad. Why don't they advertise?
Why advertise something that there is usually a waiting list to buy before they are even shipped especially if you want a specific color. Our local dealer very seldom has any on their lot as they're sold before they ever get to the lot although there was an EX-L ( no nav though) on the floor last week.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
Another happy CRV owner. No mystique, just a satisfied customer who plans on buying another.