Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
2012 Wrangler accumulating mileage while being towed

My 'old' Jeep had to have the ignition key "on" to be towed so I installed a blade switch on the negative battery terminal. The new Jeep can be towed without a key and after about 2k miles as 'toad' it finally dawned on me that it was accumulating mileage much too fast. OK, I was a bit slow on this one.

Anyone figured out how to keep the new Jeep from racking up the odo miles as it obediently follows behind the MH?
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #2

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
My 'old' Jeep had to have the ignition key "on" to be towed so I installed a blade switch on the negative battery terminal. The new Jeep can be towed without a key and after about 2k miles as 'toad' it finally dawned on me that it was accumulating mileage much too fast. OK, I was a bit slow on this one.

Anyone figured out how to keep the new Jeep from racking up the odo miles as it obediently follows behind the MH?
I have a 2012 Jeep Unlimited COD/Rubicon and do not have this problem. Have towed already 3k+.
I tow as suggested in the DVD/manual that came with. I have an automatic. Some on this site on the "toad" area say to remove key and no need to disconect battery. WRONG...in my book and the owners manual leave in Accy. and disconnect battery, transfercase in "N" and tranny in "Park"... be sure you are getting transfercase in "Neutral" if not you could be clocking mileage.
Maybe you have a Std. tranny??? you did not say.
Hope this helps,
Old 07-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Are you certain the T-case on that Jeep is in neutral? With the speedo/odo cable connecting to the back of the transmission, it should be idle doing nothing with the Transfer case in >N<.
Auto hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto hauler View Post
Are you certain the T-case on that Jeep is in neutral? With the speedo/odo cable connecting to the back of the transmission, it should be idle doing nothing with the Transfer case in >N<.
That is near my thoughts too. Sounds like something is not right with how you are setting it up to tow and trans is still turning, adding the miles. Trans case would not stop trans from turning, just front axle (if my thoughts on how 4WD works are still good) Look into this ASAP as you could be setting up trans problems. New F150 we have does this all electronically and does not add miles.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #5

Guys, the speed sensor is in the tcase.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
The neutral shift setting in the T cases used for Jeep is just that. The engine/and transmission are free from the front and rear axles. All the reason Jeep is a preferred vehicle to flat tow. Easy to make it free wheel without needing any extra mods.

If the speedo sensor is in the T-case, it is a stupid change Chrysler has done in the last year or so.

I have owned, used, abused, built and repaired too many YJ, TJ,
JK, and XJ Jeeps. I am not just grabbing these ideas out of the air.
Auto hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
The speedo sensor has been on the rear output shaft of the transfer case since the YJ ('87-'95), with the advent of the TJ it dropped the cable and went electronic and did not register mileage if the key is in the tow position i.e. one click forward from off (TJ/XJ).

We never towed our '07 and I understand there have been some changes since then so I'll let folks with experience chime in on that one.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #8

I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. We tow four down and do not have any problems with the odometer clocking miles. When we tow I shift the transfer case to N and leave the gear shift in P. It sounds as though you are setting the Jeep up correctly to tow. Because if you were to tow without the transfer case in N you (trust me on this one) would know!! The feeling of dragging a 4,000 lb paperweight behind your motorhome is unmistakable!! So if the wheels are spinning freely you have most likely followed the steps correctly and put the transfer case in N. With all that said it sounds as though something is amiss mechanically that is causing the odometer to register mileage.

Lastly, with the 2012 Jeep you do not need to have the key in the ignition. Yes, I know what the manual says however it is wrong. There is no steering wheel lock on the Jeeps after 2008 or so!

Hope you get it all figured out! We love our Jeep and have already towed it about 5,000 miles in a year without a hitch

40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40GnTX View Post
We love our Jeep and have already towed it about 5,000 miles in a year without a hitch
Interesting.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Interesting.
It just politely follows along. : )
Old 07-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #11

Yeah, how'd you train it to do that?
ARTWERKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer View Post
I have a 2012 Jeep Unlimited COD/Rubicon and do not have this problem. Have towed already 3k+.
I tow as suggested in the DVD/manual that came with. I have an automatic. Some on this site on the "toad" area say to remove key and no need to disconect battery. WRONG...in my book and the owners manual leave in Accy. and disconnect battery, transfercase in "N" and tranny in "Park"... be sure you are getting transfercase in "Neutral" if not you could be clocking mileage.
Maybe you have a Std. tranny??? you did not say.
Hope this helps,
The manual that came with your 2012 Jeep is wrong and has been updated. You do not have to leave the ignition in the ACC position, and you do not have to disconnect the batttery. You can download the corrected version here: My Jeep: Jeep Owners Service Manuals - 4x4 SUVs, Sports Utility Vehicles, Off Road
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #13

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
The manual that came with your 2012 Jeep is wrong and has been updated. You do not have to leave the ignition in the ACC position, and you do not have to disconnect the batttery. You can download the corrected version here: My Jeep: Jeep Owners Service Manuals - 4x4 SUVs, Sports Utility Vehicles, Off Road
Thanks for that update, have had this '12 COD/Rubicon (auto) for about 2 months and just returned from 3k trip doing as the CD/Manual stated, which is exactly the same as my previous '08 Rubicon (auto). I had towed/toad the '08 on a few short hauls w/o disconnecting battery as an experiment and never had the mileage change or other issues. Now I won't have to reset the radio screens.

I will mention that a friend of a friend that had a Jeep, missed "N" and went to "4L" by mistake and did not test for neutral as the manual states.
After approx. 5mi. looked back to a cloud of smoke...engine and complete drivetrain was toast. True story, I usually test for "N" a couple of times.
Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40GnTX
Hope you get it all figured out! We love our Jeep and have already towed it about 5,000 miles in a year without a hitch

Wow -- didn't read it that way when I wrote it!! Maybe I should have said without any problems.
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote