RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:51 PM   #1

2013 Chevy Spark

I'm looking at a 2013 Spark with manual transmission to tow, I plan on using my Blu Ox tow bar. Anyone have any experience towing one of these neat little cars, if so anything I should know good or bad before purchasing.

2012 Tiffin
Allegro RED 34QFA.....SOLD!
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2019, 12:03 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd go with the sonic
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:30 AM   #3

Chevy came out with an update. You will need to disconnect the battery when towing the Spark.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:52 AM   #4

I spent about a week on a business trip driving a Spark rental car in 2013 (maybe 2014), it was a cute little car, real seating for 4, just way short on power for the urban sprawl around a major city. All driving was foot on the floor on the accelerator just to get up to speed without being ran over, 0-60 was get a running start going down the on ramp to the freeway and just barely hit 55 at the bottom of the long ramp (I had 16 mile round trip commute each day back and forth to the hotel which included 5 miles on an interstate).
Old 04-28-2019, 06:08 AM   #5

I tow a 2018, it tows great, I do have disconnect the battery but only takes a second. I put the disconnect on the positive side being it's easier to get to
I find it has plenty of power for driving in town or on the highway, it gets great mpg. The big plus is the curb weight of only 2300#. I use the blue ox system, easy to install and works great. I would buy it.
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I tow a 2018, it tows great, I do have disconnect the battery but only takes a second. I put the disconnect on the positive side being it's easier to get to
I find it has plenty of power for driving in town or on the highway, it gets great mpg. The big plus is the curb weight of only 2300#. I use the blue ox system, easy to install and works great. I would buy it.

I drove it yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at how it drove and handled plus it was roomy inside. Do you have to leave the ignition on and unhook the battery cable, were you able to install the baseplate yourself?

2012 Tiffin
Allegro RED 34QFA.....SOLD!
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:57 AM   #7

Search 2017 Chevy Spark on irv2 as I have posted here on the spark. You can install base plate as it is easy. Check E-trailer as they have a video on how to do it. It is a very nice toad and mine has plenty of power for what it is. I would imagine that all models years about the same just you must use standard transmission. Good Luck.
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurph44 View Post
I drove it yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at how it drove and handled plus it was roomy inside. Do you have to leave the ignition on and unhook the battery cable, were you able to install the baseplate yourself?
No take the key out, make sure you don't have locking steering, I'm almost a 100% sure you don't, no drilling for the base plate, but will need to cut the grill out for the adapter to the bar. I didn't do it myself, when I bought it new from the dealer they Saud they would install it. I just had buy it from etrailer. Your going to need the light kit also, the plug and safety cable, good part being so light your not required to have aux breaking. The whole set up cost me like 1600.00. It's so easy to tow and easy to connect and disconnect. I say Go for it. You won't be sorry
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #9

We have a 2014 Chevy Spark with a manual transmission. We also use the brake buddy. It is a fun, reliable, low cost car to tow. No issues. They say you must leave the key in the accessory mode so as to not lock the steering but what I have done is run the engine while I check all connections, release the brake (not forget this, it is easy to do) and then turn off the key and leave it in place. The steering will not lock unless you pull the key out. I make sure all the rear lights are working and am good to go. The nice thing is we bought the Spark with very low miles a couple years ago for only around $7,200.00
BobMontgomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy