Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2017, 06:48 AM   #1

2013 Ford Flex Toad

This is not a new topic, even for me, but apparently this rock is not getting smarter. I am following the guidelines for towing in the owners manual, but still have a dead battery after a couple of hours. I know something is not right because lights are still on when I close the door. Can someone please help this non-mechanic understand how to fix the problem?
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2017, 08:06 AM   #2

Unhook the negetive battery cable
jeep nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #3

Thanks jeep nut for the response. If I understand this, after I have gone through the process of shifting into neutral, I should disconnect the negative cable? Would that also mean that I would have to reconnect the cable every 6 hours, start the car, go through the shifting process to end in neutral, then disconnect the cable again? Not complaining, just want to understand.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:25 AM   #4

Most likely if that's the direction for the car, doing that every six hours, I tow a Jeep so it's a bit different, but disconnected ring the neg will keep you from having to charge battery.
jeep nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
On my 09 Flex, all I had to do was put it in neutral and shut the key off as far as it would go in that killed the power to everything. Now with my 2017 Ford F150 with pushbutton start I go through this sequence to put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in neutral and then push the start button to shut the power off and I don't have dead battery. Hope this helps.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:34 AM   #6

Just thinking, will that keep the brake buddy from operating?
Old 05-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #7

Randyman1, that's what the book tells me to do, but the alarm goes off telling me the door is open,so there must be some power there.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby49 View Post
Randyman1, that's what the book tells me to do, but the alarm goes off telling me the door is open,so there must be some power there.
What the book does not tell you is to turn the key as far as it will turn CC a little past the acc position and leave it there. That is how I tow my 12 Flex with no battery issues.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 what DAJO says.

My 12 works fine with no discharge. When in Neutral turn the key CC till it stops.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Also you might have to manually lock the drivers door so as not to set the alarm if that is the problem you're having. Do you have a key or a pushbutton start?
Old 05-08-2017, 07:34 PM   #11

Key start. After looking things over and reading the guide again, I truly believe that there is another slot on the ignition that I can't get the key to turn to. Further investigation required because the book clearly shows an off position, but the ignition does not (that I can find).
Old 05-09-2017, 05:58 AM   #12

No there is no slot or notch where the key stops. Just do what we are telling you and don't overthink this. Try it you don't have to be hooked up to tow. The door alarm will sound while you are closing the door and stop when door is closed. I also use a dummy key (one that will not start the car) then I lock the car using the key button. Using the dummy key will require moving the gear selector back to park after the start run routine and then back to neutral.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:22 AM   #13

Towing a 2013 Edge. With the engine running, shift to N and turn the key one notch cc, not all the way to lock where the key can be removed. I agree that it is a bit confusing, but for mine, Ford shows 4 key positions. Off, acc, on and start. The key automatically returns to on after starting. One notch cc gets you to acc. One more notch cc gets you to off. I believe I have it figured out now. I have only towed about 200 miles at a time, so no issues. Never noticed the lights staying on, but some of the dash indicators do. The odometer is always showing, but does not clock miles while towing. I make sure the radio is off and the recirculate air is on before towing. I agree with others, if you disconnect the battery, then the braking system will not function properly. Especially the breakaway system.

Another option would be to add a charge line to the battery. I did choose to go that route, and am glad I did. If you have a 7 pin connector on the rv, there should be power there already. Then just running a fused line to the positive battery cable is not a big deal.

Tags
ford, toad