Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #1

2013 Honda CR-V Toad question

I have just completed installation of all the stuff I need to turn my Honda into a Toad ... Blue Ox baseplate, bulb lighting kit, break away switch and Patriot braking system

In preparing for m first trial run, I went though the Honda recommended sequence for preparing to tow ... cycle through gears, 3 minutes in neutral and turn ignition to I position.

The steering wheel turns, but is very, very stiff ... like 20 ft-pounds of torque on the steering wheel to turn ... is this normal?

Also, the headlights stayed on ... I was in the garage at dusk when I tried this. The Honda owner's manual says nothing about pulling any fuses unless you are driving more than 8 hours, and then they say to pull the radio fuse.
l.e.warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We tow a '13 CRV using Roadmaster gear. Steering wheel is stiff. Your procedure seems correct. If you have the navigation system, you must pull a fuse. We added a Fuse Master switch. No more need to crawl under the dash. Just flip the switch. Don't know what to say about headlights staying on. Is the light switch on "Auto?"
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #3

Thanks cochise! I left the light switch on Auto, just like you said.
l.e.warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:48 AM   #4

CRV Electrical Issues

My CRV ignition key seems to have only 3 positions. The first is "Off," then there is "On or Accessory," and finally, "Crank the Engine."

If I leave the key in the "On or Accessory" position, I also get a headlight on when towing, but it is not bright at all. If I turn the key to "Off," the light goes out. I do have the headlight switch on "Off," not automatic.

I have an oversized battery and a radio fuse disconnect switch, and have been able to tow for 4 hours without problems starting the CRV, but am concerned about the light being on, and am afraid to tow with the key in the "Off" position (though it seems to tow OK when the key is "Off") since the manual says the key should be in "Accessory."

Does anyone else have any ideas about this?
2014 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Baseplate and Tow Bar, Ready Brake
donspinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:16 AM   #5

I leave my lights set to Auto while towing and the lights do not come on.

If you leave the keys on the off position, the CRV steering will remain in the lock position.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:08 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
I leave my lights set to Auto while towing and the lights do not come on.

If you leave the keys on the off position, the CRV steering will remain in the lock position.

You DO NOT want to leave the steering locked!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:15 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donspinelake View Post
My CRV ignition key seems to have only 3 positions. The first is "Off," then there is "On or Accessory," and finally, "Crank the Engine."
I would look again at your ignition switch. My 2014 CR-V has 4 positions labeled 0, I,II,III

0-is off, wheel locked.

I-is what Honda calls the accessory position. It unlocks the wheel but IT IS hard to turn, navigation, radio and fuel/mileage computer are the only things that work, and no dash idiot lights come on. I set the nav & radio to off, and reduce the fuel comp to the least info, just a straight line. THIS IS THE POSITION YOU WANT THE KEY IN.

II-is the run position, everything works and you get a full compliment of idiot lights.

III-is ignition and starts the car but returns to position II after the car starts.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #8

I tow a 2013 CRV With Patriot Brake.
I replaced the OEM battery with a larger group 24 850 CCA battery and I have a charge line from the MH to the toad battery with 20A fuses on each end.

I run through the shift pattern from 1 to D per the manual. Shut off the ignition and leave it in ACC with the headlights in Auto. Per the manual. After turning the engine off, the headlights will shut off automatically.
I do not remove any fuses.
I can safely tow for two consecutive 5-6 hours days without a dead battery. I start the engine in the AM and run for 5 plus minutes during my preparation, shut it off, set the Patriot and off we go.
The key to all of this is replacing the group 51 battery with the larger group 24.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:52 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We follow all the standard 3 minute drill procedures previously mentioned. Head light switch is on AUTO without a problem.

The stock CRV battery...SUCKS!!! I could care less that the Honda manual says you can go 8 hours without a batter cut-off switch...they are WRONG! We have the upgraded battery Dennis has. We opted to install the fuse cut-off switch instead of using a charge line.

One important item. NEVER EVER go even for a nano-second from reverse to neutral before you tow. You won't like what happens. For that reason we always shift from low up to neutral before shutting the engine off. If you don't hold the button on the side of the shifter you can't accidentally go into reverse.

BTW...Yes, the steering is very stiff when in position I.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
I would look again at your ignition switch. My 2014 CR-V has 4 positions labeled 0, I,II,III

0-is off, wheel locked.

I-is what Honda calls the accessory position. It unlocks the wheel but IT IS hard to turn, navigation, radio and fuel/mileage computer are the only things that work, and no dash idiot lights come on. I set the nav & radio to off, and reduce the fuel comp to the least info, just a straight line. THIS IS THE POSITION YOU WANT THE KEY IN.

II-is the run position, everything works and you get a full compliment of idiot lights.

III-is ignition and starts the car but returns to position II after the car starts.
Cover Dog, It is hard for me to believe that I missed how the CRV key worked, but you are absolutely correct. I think my problem was that I wasn't turning the key fully off when I set up the CRV for towing, and I thought that the accessory position was the "off" position. I was towing in the "Run" position (and, with the oversized battery, was still able to start up the car after 4-plus hours of towing). Now I get it.

Thanks so much for clearing this up for me.
2014 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Baseplate and Tow Bar, Ready Brake
donspinelake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda, toad