Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2022, 07:14 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2014 CR-V set up

I am purchasing a 2014 CR-V AWD. I am thinking of going with a Stay n Play Duo brake system and a Hopkins 56200 Plug-In Simple Towed Vehicle Wiring Kit.

I am not sure what I want for a base plate and tow bars yet. I want something simple and light in weight and easy to store.

Looking for ideas and comments. I have done searches and they are all over the place.

Thanks
Fitchburg, WI
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2022, 08:32 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 14 Honda CRV also. I use a blue ox base and bar. I have had it installed since it was new and it has worked very well.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:54 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Have a 2014 CRV also . Have a Air force brake system and a Road Master tow bar and base plate . Tow bar connects / disconnects easy, with three pieces to store ,two attaching pins and wiring . Tow plate is hidden in grill ,so no big bar across car . I cover tow bar , locked on coach and your done . Both worked as they should of when I had a head on at 55 mph with pickup . No damage to CRV ,bar or plate . Brake system did it's job well also .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 03:57 AM   #4

We have a 2013 CRV and use a Roadmaster tow bar with an M&G braking system. A great braking system for sure. Do not forget to add a charge line to your CRV battery or you will find yourself with a dead battery at the end of the towing day. Been there, done that!

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:15 AM   #5

I also have the 2014 Honda CRV set up for towing behind our diesel pusher. I did all of the installation for the Hopkins lighting kit, which was relative easy to install, the Blue Ox tow bar & Base Plate. For brakes, I installed the M&G Engineering brake system with the toad breakaway. I also installed the "charge line" that keeps the Honda charged while towing.

If you have any questions, just ask!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:35 AM   #6

I also have a '14 CRV. I have a NSA Ready Brake tow bar with surge brake incorporated into the tow bar. It is dead simple, no electrical hook up required and no charge wire. However the tow bar is not light.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:48 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
We have a 14 Honda CRV also. I use a blue ox base and bar. Installed a Drive/Tow switch for ease of not pulling fuse.
Old 03-11-2022, 05:00 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrin View Post
I am purchasing a 2014 CR-V AWD. I am thinking of going with a Stay n Play Duo brake system and a Hopkins 56200 Plug-In Simple Towed Vehicle Wiring Kit.

I am not sure what I want for a base plate and tow bars yet. I want something simple and light in weight and easy to store.

Looking for ideas and comments. I have done searches and they are all over the place.

Thanks
Do a search on here.....there is a LENGTHY post on towing a 2014 CRV. One of the things you'll want to change is the battery. The battery looks like something out of a motorcycle. In the lengthy post they give you the part numbers for a battery box out of a Honda Odyssey. If I recall, about $25.00. By pulling the stock battery and dropping in the Odyssey box, you can add a full size battery which solves some towing issues with dead batteries.

As one person pointed out, there is also a fuse that has to be pulled each time. They make an aftermarket round rocker switch that mounts on the dash and runs to the fuse. It lets you disable the fuse without pulling it.

If you really want to go crazy, the CRV's are very loud inside. I bought some stick on insulation and lined the inside rear wheel wells and spare tire area. It helped reduce some of the noise.

I've used a Roadmaster Tow bar and base plates on all six of my toads through the years. I also use the Air Force One braking system. Make sure if you order the Roadmaster Base Plates, you order the one without the crossbar. It's a pain to use and isn't really necessary.

Here is my connection setup I used on the CRV. It's a flip up license plate. You can see the Roadmaster base plate connecters are nicely hidden.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160525_133802.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	358934

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160525_133809.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	358935
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 05:00 AM   #9

While you are doing the install it isn't much more work to run a batty charge line if your MH has a 12V+ terminal. Some MH wire these but leave the fuse out. Most umbilical cords have the wire included so you only need to identify the terminal on the toad connector and run a #10 ga wire to the batty Pos and install a 20A fuse or resettable circuit breaker. Auto reset not advised as some here have reported a toad fire due to a CB resetting with a short and overheating causing a fire.
https://www.amazon.com/RKURCK-Waterp...16206778&psc=1
I did the batty upgrade and charge line and don't bother pulling fuses. I just turn off audio & nav systems.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 05:39 AM   #10

I know discussions are all over this forum about replacing the "lawnmower" battery with a larger one, and it is a topic that gained a lot of traction, but I never saw a need for it. A car battery is to get the car started. Once it is running, the CRV alternator provides all of the running electrical power + power to recharge the battery. My group 51 batteries in my Honda CRV's have never once let me down, even once, and have lasted 6 to 7 years.

With a many motorhome chassis, installing a charge line to the Honda battery is so easy. Most of the hard work has already been done for you.
Old 03-12-2022, 06:59 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wow, lots of good ideas. Thank you all.

I just picked up the car yesterday. I brought it home from Chicago and it drives really nice. I got 29 mpg according to the car computer.

I noticed no one commented on the Stay and Play Duo brake system or the Hopkins wiring kit.

Deckape, sure glad you survived the head on crash. I hope all were OK.
Fitchburg, WI
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrin View Post
Wow, lots of good ideas. Thank you all.

I just picked up the car yesterday. I brought it home from Chicago and it drives really nice. I got 29 mpg according to the car computer.

I noticed no one commented on the Stay and Play Duo brake system or the Hopkins wiring kit.

Deckape, sure glad you survived the head on crash. I hope all were OK.
See post #5
Old 03-12-2022, 11:08 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Do the battery upgrade and you don't need a charge line. Just more wires to run and a chance of having an issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 11:20 AM   #14

Concur with the CRV noise level, these are not quite cars for extended hours behind the wheel. We use one as the toad with our ‘95 Bounder gasser. Going into the CRV after a day or running ‘The Beast’ down the road, is a vast improvement. LOL.