Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #1

2014 Ford Explorer Limited

Finally pulled the trigger and bought this car. It will be replacing our 2007 GMC Acadia as our toad. This is the first non GM car I have purchased in over 20 years. The transmission on the Acadia was rebuilt 3 times by GM. I also have replaced struts, rack and pinion, timing chain...list goes on and on. Really love the Explorer and hope I don't see the dealership except for routine maintenance. Any others out there towing this car?

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Mine is a couple years older and not the limited but basically the same. We love the car and it is an easy tow. I would recommend you install a Lsl Toad Charge to keep your battery topped off. I just wired it with my 6 plug connection and never have to worry about the battery. Enjoy your new toad.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mine is a 2012 explorer limited and have been towing since it was bought. No problems and I stop every couple hundred miles and start it and charge the battery and again no problems. Enjoy your new Ford
garyclegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #4

I have a 2012 Explorer Limited and have drug it along for no less than 15,000 miles, to include towing it to Alaska. I've never had a problem. I do have a chage line run to the Explorer. FWIW, I use Roadmaster baseplates and Air Forec One braking system. I use the Explorer's lights. My local dealer's service center copied the service manual pages identifying the wires to tap into to use the Explorer's lights.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #5

Thanks for all if the positive comments. I had read in several places that it is imperative to have the battery charging wire. Anyone install the roadmaster plates themselves? How difficult was it?

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 12-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDawgFan View Post
Finally pulled the trigger and bought this car. It will be replacing our 2007 GMC Acadia as our toad. This is the first non GM car I have purchased in over 20 years. The transmission on the Acadia was rebuilt 3 times by GM. I also have replaced struts, rack and pinion, timing chain...list goes on and on. Really love the Explorer and hope I don't see the dealership except for routine maintenance. Any others out there towing this car?
As long as you purchased the V6 model you will be fine. The 4 cyl ecoboost version cannot be flat towed.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
As long as you purchased the V6 model you will be fine. The 4 cyl ecoboost version cannot be flat towed.
I had read about the 4 cyl. Stuck with the V6.

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 12-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Bought a 2013 Limited specifically so I could tow it behind the coach I just ordered. Perhaps someone can answer a question that the service people weren't sure of. Since this vehicle has the smart key, you set the car to accessory on and put the vehicle in neutral. Does the odometer register miles as the vehicle is towed?? It is my plan to put a Blue Ox Tow bar and an Air Force One braking system. Is anyone else using these products and, if so, how do you like them.
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDawgFan View Post
Thanks for all if the positive comments. I had read in several places that it is imperative to have the battery charging wire. Anyone install the roadmaster plates themselves? How difficult was it?
I did and it was pretty easy with common tools. They were much easier than the ones I put on my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippsfl View Post
Bought a 2013 Limited specifically so I could tow it behind the coach I just ordered. Perhaps someone can answer a question that the service people weren't sure of. Since this vehicle has the smart key, you set the car to accessory on and put the vehicle in neutral. Does the odometer register miles as the vehicle is towed?? It is my plan to put a Blue Ox Tow bar and an Air Force One braking system. Is anyone else using these products and, if so, how do you like them.
Can't speak to the Explorer (yet) but my Acadia was towed 4 down and the odometer was not affected. Look for mor info from others here.

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 12-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippsfl View Post
No, it doesn't register miles. I have the same keyless ignition. You do want to do the following;
-- put the air conditioning in recirculating mode. If you drive down a dusty road and don't you'll wish you did. It also keeps the coach's exhaust fumes out of the car.
-- turn off the air conditioning system.
-- turn off the entertainment system.
-- now you can put the transmission in nuetral and push the key button.

I installed the Air Force One system. I ran tge air hose through a floor penetration on the drover's side in front of the driver's seat. I mounted the AF1 control box in the driver's side wheel well just behind the bumper.