Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2021, 08:18 AM   #1

2014 Honda CR-V 1.5" Lift

Have you installed a lift kit on your Honda CR-V?

What manufacturer did you use and what height did you choose?

What tire are you using?

How has the lift effected the CR-V performance?

Would you change anything now?

Do you know any CR-V outdoor group links?

Thanks in advance,

Mike and Deb Fry
2005 Monaco knight 38PDQ and 2014 Honda CR-V EX-L
fry5family is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2021, 04:58 PM   #2

I haven't lifted either of our CR-Vs, but I am curious: Why do you want to do that?

In any event, unless you lower the driveline to raise the car, all the CV joints would run at higher angles, probably reducing their lifespans. The higher CG would make it more prone to rollover accidents no matter how you lifted it. I suspect, but don't know, that the Cd would be worse, reducing gas mileage.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:55 PM   #3

Thanks, John. We are boondockers. We use the AWD CR-V to scout ahead on forest preserve and BLM roads for campsites that we can safely get to with our DP.

Then we use the CR-V for some mild back road exploration. Stock clearance is only 6.7". And stock tires don't have great sidewall protection.

2014 was the last year of CR-V you can flat tow. We would prefer a RAV4 or Highlander but you can't tow them. CR-V is 1500 lbs lighter than most Jeeps, gets much better gas mileage, and is far more comfortable that a Jeep.

We know it will never rock crawl or go through mud up to the axles. We just want more ground clearance and better tires for exploring.

Mike
Old 10-24-2021, 09:10 PM   #4

Your stock AWD CRV will go anywhere your diesel pusher will. If you need more off-roading clearance then go for the jeep.

Use the correct tool for the job.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:32 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
This may help you with what you are looking for.
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:39 AM   #6

I have not checked specifically for 2014, but one thing you should know if you off-road a CR-V is that you can run many or all of them (pre-CVT) without the driveshaft as front wheel drive. The center bearing is a vulnerable spot for off-roading, as a friend discovered to her dismay several years ago and several states from home when she hit a rock with it.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:03 AM   #7

Thanks for the response.

If we want to go on Jeep trails, we shall rent one for a day. For us, they are too heavy, uncomfortable, and fuel mileage deficient to use as our main transportation while we park the DP for two weeks.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:54 AM   #8

Have you considered a Toyota 4Runner TRD edition? Off road capable, transfer case selected 4WD, decent ride and fuel mileage.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Have you considered a Toyota 4Runner TRD edition? Off road capable, transfer case selected 4WD, decent ride and fuel mileage.
Thanks. We saw recently that 4Runner and Corolla are the only Toyotas you can flat tow. We love Toyota and traded our 07 Corolla with 222,000 miles on it for the CR-V. We just kept running into road blocks with Toyota.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:46 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I can’t comment on a lift kit for the CRV, however according to the owners manual the Subaru Crosstrek (manual) is flat towable. The guidance is explicitly different for towing a manual vs the automatic. Doesn’t need to be an entry model. You can get the “sport” model - it will lack Eye Sight, but the ground clearance is about 8.7 inches (220 mm) and the curb weight is just shy of 3200 pounds. That vehicle may be an easier fit with your adventures than modding the CRV!

Plus, who doesn’t love a Subie? I ran my old outback until I wore out the key! LOL
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_J View Post
I can’t comment on a lift kit for the CRV, however according to the owners manual the Subaru Crosstrek (manual) is flat towable. The guidance is explicitly different for towing a manual vs the automatic. Doesn’t need to be an entry model. You can get the “sport” model - it will lack Eye Sight, but the ground clearance is about 8.7 inches (220 mm) and the curb weight is just shy of 3200 pounds. That vehicle may be an easier fit with your adventures than modding the CRV!

Plus, who doesn’t love a Subie? I ran my old outback until I wore out the key! LOL
LOL. That's terrific. I watch a YouTube, Sara-n-tuned, who does tuner mods and complete rebuilds. One of her sweet projects was her daily driver, Forest Gump.

If the planets would have aligned, I'd have a Highlander or Rav4 hybrid AWD and towed on a dolly. Crazy fuel mileage, really good ground clearance, up to date electronics and comfort, and AWD with mild off road capability. I thought for sure I could dolly tow because the rear wheels are motor driven (no mechanical driveline). But the manual says "no".

So I'm runnin' with what brung me... the CR-V.

Tags
honda