Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-02-2021, 02:03 PM   #1

2014 Honda CR-V EX-L Questions

Hey folks, once again asking for help and opinions. In this case, I'm looking at this Honda CR-V and low and behold, it has a Roadmaster tow plate already installed! AND and Drive/Tow button that looks professionally installed.

So a couple of questions:

What are the chances I can use my BlueOX tow bar with the Roadmaster plate? (P/N: Roadmaster - 521567-5) I don't know the P/N of my BlueOx tow bar)

It's not a deal breaker, but wouldn't it be cool if we could? One thing, the "do-hicky's" that connects to the tow bar are missing. (See pics). How big a deal is that? Is that something I can find/buy?

Tell me about the Drive/Tow button: (Sorry, no pic). What does that do and mean? The dealership here had NO IDEA that this rig had all this.

So, as most of you may or may not know, almost ALL CR-V's have a known issue, "VTC Actuator"...where when you start it, it makes a 'rattle' noise, but then quits. Honda refuses to do a recall on it, but according to my daughter who has a 2012 and many other CR-V owners, it's not a big deal. Can anyone talk to this issue? (Meaning you've owned or own one and have experience with it.)

It also has a break-way switch already installed. (See Pic)
And a four pin connector and one I don't know what it is. (See Pic)

I'm actually at the dealership right now. So any help is greatly appreciated as always!

OH! I just did a search on that part number and here are the 'arms' I guess you'd call them that are missing. If I had these, would the BlueOx work? Or would I look for BlueOx 'arms', and then would they fit inside the RoadMaster receivers...if you will...? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tow-connection-DriverSide.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	341763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tow-connection-Passenger-Side.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	341764  

Name:	Breakaway-Swtich.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	341765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Four-pin-connector-and-one-I-don't-know-what-it-is.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	341766  

Name:	road-master-arms.png
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	341767  
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2021, 02:26 PM   #2
D20
Community Moderator

It looks like the parts are available to make it work. Quick search shows about $65 for each arm and $90 for the adapter set. May be better prices somewhere with more time spent searching.

There is no way for anyone on the forum to know what braking system is installed or how the drive/tow switch is wired up. I am guessing the single bullet connector you see is for a battery charge line. But that is just a guess as there is no way to know without inspecting it. It could be a brake actuation signal line, but this is a lot less likely.

I have a 2014 CRV that I tow and I don't have any rattle issue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 16.14.09.png
Views:	13
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	341768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 16.14.39.jpg
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	341769  

Old 09-02-2021, 02:29 PM   #3
D20
Community Moderator

Just re-read your question. The Drive/Tow switch turns the supplemental braking system on for towing and off for driving.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:27 PM   #4

Thanks D20, appreciate your input.

So just took it for a spin...drives nice, seems tight, nothing rattling, was not impressed with the quietness of it...seems like there's a fair amount of road noise, and that's high on my list. We've had numerous mini-vans and there's a lot to like about them, but all the Chrysler products we had all had too much noise in the back, and while this wasn't that bad, it was more than I expected....and want. Sigh...

So...this dealership has quite a few rigs that might fit the bill. Anyone know off the top of their head the year Rav4's stopped being towable? (I guess I could ask uncle Google..hang on...Hmm, looks like from this article the last year is 2005) Here.

Welp...that's too old for me. They've got a bunch of trucks so I might look at them.

I just drove into town with a buddy who has a 2017 Ford 4wd truck and I was surprised at how smooth it road and how quiet it was...but 2017 is out of my budget. Going to continue to look while I'm here, and I might even bring the DW here and have her drive the Honda and see what she things of the road noise. Maybe I'm just being too picky.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:52 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The 2013 Honda CRV AWD was the perfect toad for us! We had three Accords but as we got older getting in and out of them became more of a problem! The CRV is exactly the right height for easy access, and it has plenty of storage space for us.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:13 PM   #6

Well, itís late and Iím tired but hereís the quick update:

The 2014 Honda CR-V looks like a strong contender as does this 2015 Ford Explorer Limited as its quiet and smooth but has 110K miles and both the same price.

HmmmÖdecisions decisionsÖ

Honda pros: 62k miles, has most of the towing stuff already installed, seems in good shape.
Cons: A bit noisy in the back. Dark Brown with black interior

Ford pros: Very quiet and smooth, LOTS of amenities (heated and cooled seats), itís Red!
Cons: 110K miles, small ding in passenger rear door, also black interior.

Name:	IMG_4701.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	341825

Name:	IMG_4696.JPG
Size:	607.7 KB
ID:	341826
Old 09-03-2021, 05:17 AM   #7

The 2014 CRV is a solid choice...Honda is not going to be as smooth or quiet as the Equinox (My 2 choices for a toad). I have an '02 Honda CRV that is very reliable but I'm looking at an Equinox as it's replacement as I am seeking a more comfortable ride for side trips. The CRV is great for short trips around the campground! But not so comfortable to spend a day in when day tripping. Rented the Equinox ('19) twice and found it to be much quieter and smoother ride. Larger and more comfortable all the way around.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:24 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have towed both the CR-V (2014) and the Equinox (2012). This is just my experience, so take that for what its worth.

The CR-V drove nice, but it was the loudest car I have ever driven, including a VW Beetle without ac. The headlights were the most anemic of any car I have owned. They are cute and are nice grocery-getter's. They are easy to drive and are reliable. I got to the point where I just did not want to put up with the interior noise, so I got rid of it.

The Equinox, which we still have, is a nice riding car and it tracks very true and is quiet inside. It has 37,000 miles on the odometer and probably 20-25,000 towed miles. It is in the shop now having the transmission replaced. Look up the failure rate for the transmissions. The literature says it is towable and it is, but the transmission keeps turning and that, in my opinion, is what is the issue with the gear-box. Even though many of these cars are being towed, they are probably having their transmissions worked over pretty hard. The only real towable vehicle is a 4x4 with a neutral on the transfer case.

Case in point. I changed the transmission fluid in the Equinox at 32,000 miles even though the manual specifies the interval is at 45,000. That fluid was as dark as the engine oil when doing a change on the DP.

These comments are just my experience and others may have differing thoughts. You asked for opinions, you got mine. Good luck with your decision.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:13 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 2014 CRV and yes is a little noisy in the rear but a good set of tires helps reduce the noise.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:22 AM   #10

Drive/Tow switch?

RE: Tell me about the Drive/Tow button: (Sorry, no pic). What does that do and mean? The dealership here had NO IDEA that this rig had all this.

This could be a fuse-bypass switch. Look behind the switch and see if a set of wire are going into the TOP of the fuse panel. Disabling the that circuit may shut off radio and other power draining systems while towing.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:51 AM   #11

I inherited a 09 crv after both parents passed. Not even thinking of as a toad. A friend who is a master ase tech installed everything for toad setup once we decided on getting a motor home. Our drive/tow switch turns off radio, same as pulling fuse to not drain battery. My understanding is charge line hooked up through 7pin connector on coach. Had to install 6pin on car and use 7-6 pin cable.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:33 AM   #12

Our 2013 has almost the exact same set-up. We test drove several, and when I saw this one was already set-up for towing, that was the deciding factor for choosing it. We had the Roadmaster bars and only needed the adapter.

Tow/drive switch is easy to figure out. Attached is a photo of the one in ours. Turn on the ignition so that your accessories come on, then flip the switch, if the radio goes off, the switch takes the place of pulling the accessory fuse.

If nothing happens, it could be for an supplemental braking system that was removed. I installed an Invisbrake system that unlike the Brake Buddy style, remains in the car at all times. The Invisibrake has been reported to have occasional problems with activating by itself when not attached to the RV. Some people recommend installing a switch to kill power to it when you aren't towing the toad. The system also has a indicator light that you install in the cab of the tow vehicle, to let you know when the system is activated and that require running a single wire from the brake controller to the cab of the RV. That single wire with the plug would be consistent with this indicator. You'll be able to tell if it once had an Invisibrake, by pulling back the carpet in the driver's footwell, exposing the area below the brake pedal. Look for non factory holes or screws that would remain after the pully bracket was removed. There may be a cut-out in the carpet where the pully was. Attached is a photo of ours. The pully could have been vertical or at an angle and might be in a different spot than ours.

The CRV used to be the most common toad besides a Jeep. Our's tows easily and has been a good car. Yeah, they aren't the quietest, and it can be pretty gutless on the freeway, but it does everything we need it too. Getting quieter tires makes a big difference in road noise.

Since the car dealer doesn't typically install these items, an RV dealer would be the one to figure it out since they DO install these kinds of accessories.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CRVswitch.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	341844   Click image for larger version

Name:	InvisibrakePully.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	454.6 KB
ID:	341845  

astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We have the 2013 CRV EX-L. Had it almost four years and towed it about 30k miles. Good overall vehicle. Very reliable and comfortable, but it is noisy and itís tiny gas tank is a small irritation.

I donít have the tow switch.

I follow the directions in manual, which are simple. I did install a charge line, which has helped to keep the battery charged while towing. I donít have to remove the fuse.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:02 AM   #14

Thumbs up

Have a 2014 CRV that we flat tow. Have the road master tow bar and bracket for the Honda. Drive switch turns off dash ,so no battery draw while towing. Have the Air force braking system that is installed on the Honda. It works off the air brakes on the coach and has nothing to remove before using the tow. Parts for the road master can be found at etrailer.com . They have several different tow bars and braking systems as will as videos . If your coach has air brakes , I would get the air force system. I think that the CRV is a great tow and will get you around the areas you visit. May not be the everyday car you want, but great for what it does behind the coach and exploring the areas. Stores the bikes and other things that you may not / have room for.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda