Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #1

Grand Design Owners Club
2014 Honda CRV - AWD

We are wanting to get a new TOAD and are considering the Honda CRV. We aren't full-timers so it would also be our primary vehicle. If I understand correctly the 2014 model is the last year that can be flat towed, correct? If that is correct, does that include all 2014 models of the CRV - both 2-wheel and all-wheel drive?

If newer models of the CRV can be flat towed please let us know the latest year where that's an option. Also, if any of you have CRVs that are being flat towed please let me know the ins and outs - what front plate and tow bars seem to work the best, braking systems that you like, wiring harnesses, lighting, etc.

If there are already links on this forum that address all of this please point me in their direction. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
Texas Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Sooner View Post
We are wanting to get a new TOAD and are considering the Honda CRV. We aren't full-timers so it would also be our primary vehicle. If I understand correctly the 2014 model is the last year that can be flat towed, correct? If that is correct, does that include all 2014 models of the CRV - both 2-wheel and all-wheel drive?
You understand this correctly - 2014 is the last year that the CR-V was towable; both 2 and all wheel are towable.

2015 and newer have CVT transmissions and are not towable.

You can review the towing guides on Motorhome Magazine's website if you're considering other brands as well.

Michelle
spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #3

I believe all 2014 Honda CRV's can be towed four down. (If the did have an optional CVT in that year, that vehicle would not work as Toad. But I don't believe they had a CVT in 2014 in the CRV.)

Blue Ox Base Plates are solid, and have a stealth look when the towing tabs are removed.

I like the Stirling All Terrain, with and optional set of Blue Ox Knuckles installed.

In our 2007 CRV, we went with US Gear braking system. It had Proportional Braking, Cockpit Control for force adjustment, as well as manual lever to activate the Toad's brakes. (Handy to have the manual control at take off after first hooking up the toad, to help lock the tow bars in place faster, especially starting off down hill.)

US Gear is in a contest with the patent holder, so not sure if they are either available now, or a smart thing to buy now. If you have a DP, I believe the SMI Air Force One is the unit I would go with today. (If we do buy a new toad in 2018/2019 as we plan, as of now, it would get the Air Force One.).

And of course, opinions will vary. Do your research, make a decision, get it all set to go - then do go have some fun!

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:53 PM   #4

The pre 2015 is an excellent choice for a toad. The only knock might be the OEM battery size particularly if you are going to use one of the braking systems that use the toad battery power to operate it. The upgrade to a larger battery is very easy and costs under $200 to accomplish.
There are many threads regarding the CRV detailing the whole process to tow the CRV.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:07 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You are correct that all models of the CRV prior to 2015 can be towed flat! We love our 2013 AWD!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bought a friend's 2014 FWD CR-V to replace the '05 Ody that only had 108,000 on the odometer. CR-V was supposedly all set up and only had 6030 miles on it. I found a lot of mistakes in the install though. Next is to rebuild the brakes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:11 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
We towed a 2014 CR-V AWD for two years, before upgrading to the Grand Cherokee for more room and real off-road capability. The only problem we had with the Honda was the battery going dead, which we solved with a charge line, and never had a problem again.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:20 AM   #8

We still tow our 03 CRV when not taking the Jeep. No question one of the best toads available. To bad the new ones cant be towed.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:42 AM   #9

Have a 14 CRV AWD as a toad. You have to follow a simple procedure to prep the transmission prior to towing.

Blue ox baseplate and NSA Ready Brute tow bar <---love this system...no mods to the coach except the brake on indicator light on the dash.

Pro shop did the install. Installed a charge line after a dead battery despite having the fuse switch. Also needed a 2" drop down hitch but this will vary with the coach.

Pic is of the old coach.
NSA RV Products - Ready Brake and Ready Brute Home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	166301  
Attached Images

RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:51 AM   #10

Check out eTrailer.com the have very goid instructions and video on installing 2014 CR-V base plate and also Air Force One brake.
I'm in the process of setting up a 2014 right now.
I did my last '05 CRV wiring using the separate bulb approach and liked it. You don't tie into the Honda wiring at all.
Honda recommends pulling a fuse to eliminate parasitic load...easier to either install a fuse switch or a 12V line from coach to charge the toad battery...either should work fine no need to do both.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Check out eTrailer.com the have very goid instructions and video on installing 2014 CR-V base plate and also Air Force One brake.
I'm in the process of setting up a 2014 right now.
I did my last '05 CRV wiring using the separate bulb approach and liked it. You don't tie into the Honda wiring at all.
Honda recommends pulling a fuse to eliminate parasitic load...easier to either install a fuse switch or a 12V line from coach to charge the toad battery...either should work fine no need to do both.
I installed the fuse switch, but it also cut off power to the power socket, therefore, no power to the aux. brake. Gotta bypass that.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:45 PM   #12

We tow a '07 AWD CRV with a ReadyBrute Elite tow bar. I can't retrofit a bigger battery in my '07 so I installed a remote fuse cut off switch. Easy.

I also went with a Demco base plate. I chose Demco because there is no cutting or bending. Just drilling.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstakun View Post
I installed the fuse switch, but it also cut off power to the power socket, therefore, no power to the aux. brake. Gotta bypass that.
Just add a direct wired 12v outlet from the batty w an inline fuse. It will be hot all the time.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstakun View Post
Don't need it with a ReadyBrute.

Tags
honda