Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:30 PM   #1

2014 Honda CRV Breakaway Wire

I was looking under the rather crowded hood today for the steering column boot to run my breakaway wire. I didn't actually see where the column shaft comes through the firewall. I did see a big wire loom with a rubber boot behind the air filter box and to the left. Picture attached. Randy if you see this please advise. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crv wire loom.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	305185  
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2020, 06:18 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2014 Honda CRV Breakaway Wire

Donít know if you are directing this question to me. While my handle is Kluffinator my name is Randy.

My 2012 CRV is at the shop at the moment so Iím not able to pop the hood to confirm. Iíll do a bit of research while Iím watching the Dodgers and hoping for a win.

You may need to look up from below to see the shaft.
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluffinator View Post
Donít know if you are directing this question to me. While my handle is Kluffinator my name is Randy.

My 2012 CRV is at the shop at the moment so Iím not able to pop the hood to confirm. Iíll do a bit of research while Iím watching the Dodgers and hoping for a win.

You may need to look up from below to see the shaft.
Thanks for the reply. No different Randy, he has a 2014 and told me he went through steering boot. I was thinking the same thing about drive by wire. Underneath you can see nothing. All covered with plastic panels. Tried that also.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:55 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep. When I installed my ready brake cable I had to remove the plastic splash pan. Itís not difficult, just a lot of fasteners.
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:00 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
noserider-

Our Honda Fit has a boot that looks like that one, on the passenger side, below the glove box. That's where I took the wires through. Made an x-shaped pair of slits, ran the loom-with-wires through (at a flat angle to the firewall, as it turned out), then terminated on a termination strip. From there over to the driver side under the very top of the dash, for the control unit and access to the rear lights. Used silicone to seal the hole through the boot.

Could have gotten by without the termination strip, but the wires were not long enough, and I didn't want a bundle of splices to cut in case something needed repair or replacement.

The hardest part was removing the heat distribution box and fan, which are below the glove box. I found out later that Honda has a procedure for this.

If any of that applies to your CR-V, I don't know!
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:07 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
I was looking under the rather crowded hood today for the steering column boot to run my breakaway wire. I didn't actually see where the column shaft comes through the firewall. I did see a big wire loom with a rubber boot behind the air filter box and to the left. Picture attached. Randy if you see this please advise. Thanks
I ran mine thru the steering shaft boot which I think is lower down than your pic. Just after the the motor for steering (2014 CRV is electric steering) there is a rubber boot that seals the shaft.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:15 PM   #7

Quote:
What toad braking system are you using? I don't see any brakeaway wire going through the firewall with mine.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
What toad braking system are you using? I don't see any brakeaway wire going through the firewall with mine.
Your breakaway wire (M&G braking) does not go through the firewall. I have a Brake Buddy. I may upgrade one day to the M&G or the Air Force One. I'm still using the equipment that the previous owner sold me when I bought the coach.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Your breakaway wire (M&G braking) does not go through the firewall. I have a Brake Buddy. I may upgrade one day to the M&G or the Air Force One. I'm still using the equipment that the previous owner sold me when I bought the coach.
OK, thanks
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:12 PM   #10
KEH

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

On my 2012 CR-V, I poked a hole in the wire loom grommet shown in your picture and pushed the breakaway wire through it to my Blue Ox Patriot Brake

Ken
Fulltimer's - Class of 2014
KEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:08 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would use that boot and press a hole through, just outside where the loom is, in the center. I like to use an old coat hangar. Cut the hangar with side cutters, which will leave an angled point. Connect the hangar to whatever you want to pull through and and puncture the bot with the hangar. I like to add a dab of silicone to the hole when I'm done.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I would use that boot and press a hole through, just outside where the loom is, in the center. I like to use an old coat hangar. Cut the hangar with side cutters, which will leave an angled point. Connect the hangar to whatever you want to pull through and and puncture the bot with the hangar. I like to add a dab of silicone to the hole when I'm done.

Worked for me

Tags
honda