Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
MartinC was kind enough to send me his Demco installation file so that I could make it available at my Dropbox site.

Here is the link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...4_Cherokee.pdf

Thank you Martin

Its fun to see my car (the black one) in the instructions.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #58

It comes with an OFF ROAD SUSPENSION>
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebobk View Post
It comes with an OFF ROAD SUSPENSION>
Standard on the TH, optional on the Latitude 4x4 and Limited 4x4 and not available on any Sport.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #60

Quote:
Standard on the TH, optional on the Latitude 4x4 and Limited 4x4 and not available on any Sport.
Bob, I believe that if you get the ADII you get the ORS, liking it or not (and Judge has it and doesn't like it.) Once we selected 3.2L and ADII the ORS was included.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #61

Bob, one point - there might be a difference between the Canadian and US option availability. The D3 do that regularly for reasons I can't fathom.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
There is no cross member - just two separate units mirroring each other.
I think I learned that answer to that one on the JeepGarage forum today. One of the TH owners took a look under his unit and found that there was a cross member between the tow hooks. Since it is already there they won't need one for the baseplates. That sounds logical to me, anyway. The first diagram in the Roadmaster installation instructions gave me the feeling the installation for the TH would be simple. But, when I scrolled down the page I concluded it was pretty messy. That makes me wonder what a fully optioned Limited will be like as there will likely be no cross member because of the absence of tow hooks. I sure hope Blue Ox comes up with something imaginative.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
@The Shadow: I agree with all of your comments. When Jeep goes to the trouble of including four down towing capabilities and instructions in their manuals, you'd think they would make sure the baseplates were some what easy to install.

I installed a Blue Ox on my Wrangler and it wasn't bad at all. I have a feeling the Cherokee is going to be a much bigger challenge.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #64

Quote:
@The Shadow: I agree with all of your comments. When Jeep goes to the trouble of including four down towing capabilities and instructions in their manuals, you'd think they would make sure the baseplates were some what easy to install.

I installed a Blue Ox on my Wrangler and it wasn't bad at all. I have a feeling the Cherokee is going to be a much bigger challenge.
Bob, my feelings exactly. I think Jeep would have gotten high marks and LOTS more orders had it made baseplates from the factory an option (and a braking system as well. I'd have gladly paid for such options.

I looked at the instructions for the Wrangler baseplate installation last summer when we decided the Escape had to go. We didn't have any transmission problems (other than a temp of 220 when towing) but it was the constant thought and wondering if we are the next to blow the tranny. They Wrangler instructions did look pretty simple compared to most others. DW could really not make the jump to a Wrangler though. What amazed me was that a fully loaded Sahara was going to cost us MUCH more than the fully loaded Limited.

We went to the Four Corners in the fall of 2011 (train from Dearborn to Albuquerque and then rented car) and 2012 (Town & Country) and what I found interesting during these trips was the number of Wrangler toads - all over the place - and very suited to that area. I also loved the 4C and want to go back again as there is so much to see.

My son suggested I buy a used Wrangler (then we'd have three cars) and tow it. I looked at the resale prices and dropped that idea quickly. I almost bought a 3 year old Liberty that had 30000 miles and the Gold Service plan for 2 more years. We just wondered what we were going to do with 3 cars and a motorhome.

We (well, my son) did the Escape baseplates and it was simply time consuming. When he was done he figured if he did it again it would be under 2 hours. Yet, he had spent 6 weeks in Japan working on the Escape and Tribute with Mazda and Ford designing some front end parts.

Don
Old 12-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Its fun to see my car (the black one) in the instructions.
Great to have those instructions (but DW would tell you that there is only one colour for a car - WHITE. ).

I get the feeling the process they describe is a LOT easier than the Roadmaster instructions for the Trail Hawk. Also, I note no cross member is used. Now, what that has to mean is that they designed it so one would not be needed (built in like the TH) AND if that is the case it is a real tribute to the strength of the Cherokee chassis since the GC requires a cross member.

Thanks for providing the document.

Don
Old 12-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Just spoke with the folks at Roadmaster and they are working on and will have ready very soon the brackets/baseplate for the Latitude and Limited. They said it will be in production within a week or two.

This is good to know although my Cherokee will not be delivered for another 5 to 7 weeks.

Stuart
Old 01-01-2014, 02:44 AM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro View Post
I am expecting delivery of my new 2014 Cherokee Limited any day now. I have a Thor Palazzo 33.2 Motor Home and I wonder if anybody with a Palazzo or similar unit has experience in terms of towing packages. I have already bought mud flaps not to ruin the front of the Jeep, but I do not know much about different companies which offer packages to tow a car behind a motor home. Can anybody help?
I hope you ordered the Active Drive II or you cannot flat tow it.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #68

Does anyone know if the Adaptive Cruise Control Module in the front of the Cherokee interferes with Demco's base plate? I was shipped a prototype and now my dealer is questioning the installation. Demco has not answered phones for the last week or so.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebobk View Post
Does anyone know if the Adaptive Cruise Control Module in the front of the Cherokee interferes with Demco's base plate? I was shipped a prototype and now my dealer is questioning the installation. Demco has not answered phones for the last week or so.
Mine has been on for almost a month and no problems, they enginnerred yours from the work on my car as I was on the Demco Fit program
rream is offline   Reply With Quote