Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #1

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

We pull a 2014 Grand Cherokee. For expediency I have been using a set of magnetic stickon brake/tail/turn signal lights. They plug into the Coach with the 7 pin connector. The system actually works fairly well and is certainly very visible. Also eliminates any cutting into existing vehicle wiring.

Just wondering if others towing 2014 Grand Cherokee have wired for using the Jeep's tail lights. Did you spliced into the factory wiring at the tail light and use diodes to keep from back feeding to the car and also to the coach?

Or, did you use the suggested method of drilling the tail light housing for an extra, independent bulb for the tow lights?

I have heard of horror stories of vehicle wiring getting damaged by coach current and vise versa so I was reluctant to interrupt the factory wiring.

Since we use a brake buddy independent braking system I assume the GK's factory brake lights come on anyway if the brake buddy intercedes.

Between protecting the car and coach against back feed it seems like I would need diodes in every direction on the trail light circuit and the brake/turn signal circuit which gets a bit rube goldbergish..

Any input from the experts out there or should I stick with the fool proof standalone magnetic stick on lights..:-)

thanks for any input in advance.
jestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I use a TowDaddy unit on my 2012 and on my 2014. It uses the stock bulbs and wiring and there is no cutting or splicing, just plugs into the wire loom and you run a 4 wire cable from the back to the front.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
My installer spliced into the wiring and used diodes. Works fine.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
My installer spliced into the wiring and used diodes. Works fine.
Mine too on the Cherokee, I had it installed at DEMCO where they were using my vehicle to engineer a base plate for production.

I have towed it 38 times in 2014 for just over 7,000 miles
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2014 trailhawk (LEDs).
I cut and installed two relays for the brake/turn, and diodes for the tail.
You can't drill the housing for adding bulbs.the relays are switched by plugging in the 7 pin trailer light cable. Basically the relays switch the lights from car t o coach control.
Do I g it this way let's my brake light flash when turning AND braking at the same time.

Dan