Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #1

2014 Jeep W.U.

I have searched past threads and some of my questions have been addressed before but I am hoping someone has recently set up a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for towing.My 02 Winnebago's hitch is approx.6-7 inches lower than the bumper of the Jeep-what's the best way to address this problem? What base plates work best with this bumper-do I need a Demco adapter?( I don't plan on adding a winch or do any off-roading).What tow bar and braking system works best with this toad?(will I run into problems getting cables thru the firewall in the '14 Jeep?Which wiring harness is the easiest to use?(I see some folks install a separate light system to avoid any warranty issues-is this necessary/advisable?If I opt to have the work done is C.W. a reasonable choice or should I look around for other options? Ballpark-how much is reasonable cost to install(minus components)?Any and all help/suggestions appreciated!!
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #2

I have limited information to share, but will pass along what I have. My Jeep is a Grand Cherokee, but I think some of the towing capabilities may also be available in your Wrangler. Here's a few things I found out a few months ago when setting up to tow our Jeep behind a Jayco Precept 31ul.

Who Installed Tow Kit - I had a professional install mine (afraid I might mess something up and this is a big safety issue to me).
Which Tow Kit? - Used Blue Ox (great kit, easy to hook up, connecting points hardly noticeable on front end of Jeep)
Lights Hookup - Jeep lights work great with the connection (did not have to add external lights)....no issues on long 2200+ mile trip into mountains.
Jeep Transmission - The GC has a small "button" that disengages the tranny (not sure about Wrangler) (instructions in manual worked first time, every time)
Supplemental Brakes (required in many states) - Chose RViBrake2. Easy install (did it myself). Glad I had it in the mountains. Portable and easy setup. Run wire thru firewall?? Not easy on mine, but found I could route wire under the Jeep and come up through an existing hole (rubber insert was removable...punched hole in it for wire) and came up under the driver's seat).
Costs - Sorry....I negotiated these things with my RV purchase package and do not recall the actual cost breakdown. If I find something out, I'll send it later.
Who installed? Not C. W. Was lucky to have a local dealer who was very well priced and had service manager with 40+ years experience. If you are in Louisiana, I can share the dealer's name....great folks!

Good luck....sorry I don't have more specifics for you.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #3

Hi doodah, we just installed a tow system for our '15 Precept 31 UL to tow our '13 Wrangler Sahara. We used a local, long time (family business) trailer/hitch/rental company to buy and install the complete setup. Both hitches matched up near perfect so there was no need to make a height adjustment to level the tow bar.
There are receiver adapters available to adjust the towbar so it will be level.
Base plate: Roadmaster. That is the brand they carried. Blue Ox equally as good, I am told.
Tow bar: Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo. This is a surge brake system and I am really happy with it's ability to control my braking.
Diodes were installed and the tail lights, brake lights and turn signals work fine on both units.
The installer drilled the hole in the firewall for the cable to the brake pedal without issue. They have installed many towbar systems for RVs and in 7 years he has not had a Ready Brute system failure. He said he loves doing Jeeps because they are so straight forward. He's not a salesman, he's service oriented.
He did a walk through with me and away I went, Jeep in tow. I have now hooked and unhooked several times, the last time Mary did it while I read the instructions.
One thing that leads to our successful hookup is printed step by step directions.
From my Jeep manual, I printed the pages for "Recreational Towing--4 Wheel Drive--4 Down"........again step by step instructions. I also printed out the "Caution" page so I could be readily be reminded of why I am doing things in the order I do them.
I also printed out a step by step "Set up & Hooking Towbar to Jeep" and "Unhooking Jeep from Towbar" the last 2 I made up myself with the assistance of the literature provided.
It was all very smooth and quite simplistic. I can hook or unhook in less than 15 minutes and I do not hurry.
The key for me was to make sure I had the set up safely installed and used the finest products available. I do not have mechanical skills and DIY jobs must be minor. I don't think I over paid but others may disagree. I spent $2400. for the complete parts & install.
Shouldn't be any warranty issues...........Jeep prints in their manuals how to set it up for 4 wheel towing.
Hope this helps.
Enjoy
dm.akafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We're on our second Wrangler Unlimited. We've used the Blue Ox system on both, simply because that's the system our dealer, at the time we purchased the first one, stocked. That said, I'm happy with the results. I do not like the systems that leave a big, ugly, shin busting cross bar attached to the toad when disconnected. Yes, I understand you can remove it, but then I'd have to find a place to store it.

For the tail/turn lights I've gone with the separate harness and bulb socket set up. There is PLENTY of room inside the OEM tail lamp assemblies. If there's a problem I don't have to guess which system (Jeep or tow harness) is the culprit, there's no risk of damaging the Jeep system. Some of the options are "plug & play", but they introduce another connector into the system, and another opportunity to introduce a problem. I like the dirt simple separate harness system.

As for braking, you don't describe your coach, gas or diesel. Ours is diesel and I like the SMI Air Force One. 10 seconds to connect or disconnect, once installed. Nothing to add to or remove from the Jeep for set up or when we disconnect. For a few years we had one of those systems that sat on the floor in front of the driver's seat. Not only was it a pain to have to install and remove each time (not difficult, just a pain), but it took up a lot of storage space when it was not in use. If you have a gas coach there are electrically operated systems that are just as simple to use, I'd look for one of those.

To compensate for the height differential you'll need a "drop" hitch, although you'll be turning it 180 degrees to raise the hitch. I'm surprised there's that big of a difference, and in that direction, between the hitch on the coach and the base plate on the Jeep. I needed a 4" drop to get our tow bar level. I do recommend you not buy a drop/lift hitch until your base plate is installed and you can do an accurate measurement.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #5

I used the Cooltechllc.com plug and go wiring harness on my 2014 Rubicon, simple, quick, and easy install.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #6

I use a Blue Ox base plate, Cool Tech wiring harness & a Ready Brute tow bar/brake set up. Had the same set up on a '03 Wrangler.