Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2014, 04:35 AM   #1

2014 Silverado --anybody flat towing one?

I want to flat tow a new 2014 chevy silverado half ton ltz 4wd.

The info availability from gm is conflicting as to the transfer case needed to flat tow.
One place it says you need the 2 speed automatic and another place it says you need the manual 2 speed.

Most silverados have the automatic transfer case. Remco says the automatic is needed. Gmc says automatic. But gm also has a place where it says you need the manual transfer case for flat towing!

Anybody actually towing a 2014 silverado ?

Thanks

Tom Volk
tvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
If your transfer case has a neutral position, you should be OK.

I understand there is a single speed transfer case with no neutral position and a two speed transfer case that does have a neutral position.

Your owners manual will have the exact information on towing 4 down.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #3

Silverado flat tow

Thanks for the info.

I downloaded the owners manual and it appears that there are , as you suggested, two versions of the autotrac. One has a neutral position and one does not. The manual version ( third version of transfer case) is only available in base trim, work truck as far as I can tell.

So--I need to confirm correct build code and option codes to make sure the autotrac transfer case has the neutral position!

None of the trucks I have looked at have the neutral--only the autotrac with no neutral position.

Hope I can find a truck with right transfer case vs waiting on ordered one.

Tom Volk
Old 06-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We tow a 2013 4x4. The N is in red but looks blacked out on the knob. Start it, set the park brake, transmission in neutral. In one motion turn the knob from 2 wheel all the way to the right. You must hold it there against the stop as it is spring loaded out, there is no detent. It takes longer than you think before it shifts. The choices on the knob say 2, 4, 4low, N. If it does't say 4low it doesn't have the transfer case you want.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #5

Ditto on the "Neutral" comments -- if you don't have a Neutral, you can't tow it. I think you have to hold the knob for 10 seconds to get it to kick into Neutral.

Steve
Old 06-24-2014, 04:18 PM   #6

Chevy transfer case

Thanks to all for the info.
I ended up talking to engineers at chevy and they confirmed the 'hidden' n light ! They are emailing me the official procedure.
The owners manual has pictures of two,different two speed transfer cases. One with the n and one without. My first several calls to chevy resulted in them realizing the problem and confusion--even they were confused.
Apparently there was a switch change at some point that nobody in engineering /customer service was aware of!

I am impressed with how the chevy people researched he problem and kept me informed as they went forward.

In short--the two speed transfer case that comes on the 2014 silverado 4wd has a neutral position accessed as described by a previous post in this thread.

Again--thanks to all.

Tom Volk

I take delivery of a new silverado tomorrow and will get the blue ox baseplate installed next week.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvolk View Post
Thanks to all for the info.
I ended up talking to engineers at chevy and they confirmed the 'hidden' n light ! They are emailing me the official procedure.
The owners manual has pictures of two,different two speed transfer cases. One with the n and one without. My first several calls to chevy resulted in them realizing the problem and confusion--even they were confused.
Apparently there was a switch change at some point that nobody in engineering /customer service was aware of!

I am impressed with how the chevy people researched he problem and kept me informed as they went forward.

In short--the two speed transfer case that comes on the 2014 silverado 4wd has a neutral position accessed as described by a previous post in this thread.

Again--thanks to all.

Tom Volk

I take delivery of a new silverado tomorrow and will get the blue ox baseplate installed next week.
I have a 2014 Silverado Z71 4x4 Crew cab LTZ. I called my dealer and they sent me the bulletin on the procedure to get it in the N position.

Can you help me on what to do next? I am lost as to what to buy for the tow bar, base plates etc.? What brand and what part numbers? Blue Ox website is cumbersome.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #8

Blue ox

I have the blue ox 10000 lb tow bar already
Ordered the correct baseplate for,the chevy
Ordered the road master wiring kit

Suggest you phone the blue ox people. I called them to confirm the correct part numbers and they suggested the road master wiring vs blue ox. 4 pin connector already there and less cost by a few dollars.

They were very friendly and helpful.

The baseplate and wiring kit were about $480 I think. The tow bar was more but I do not remember since I bought it last year! ($800??) I think the safety chains come with the tow bar--best to confirm that .

I needed a drop hitch on the anthem to keep,the tow bar within level specs with the chevy equinox I have been towing. Not sure I will need it with the silverado. Will find out next week.

Bought the rvi brake system and have been happy with it. Use an auxiliary battery to power it in the car/truck since it needs independent power. Silverado needs negative battery disconnect when towing -I am told --so definitely need aux battery to power rvi system. Since I also tow the equinox behind my daughters rv(gas class-a) I can easily switch the brake unit from one car to another and use the one tow bar. (Obviously I can only tow one vehicle at a time!!)

The whole set up is not inexpensive. Probably about $3500-$4000 including installation. And now I have another $1000 getting the baseplate and wiring on the silverado.

Good luck. It is not hard and having a vehicle available when you arrive is excellent!

Tom Volk
Old 06-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama96 View Post
I have a 2014 Silverado Z71 4x4 Crew cab LTZ. I called my dealer and they sent me the bulletin on the procedure to get it in the N position.

Can you help me on what to do next? I am lost as to what to buy for the tow bar, base plates etc.? What brand and what part numbers? Blue Ox website is cumbersome.
I use a Brake Buddy elite. Blue Ox base plate. I added a bulb to the taillights.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #10

I use M & G Brakes BlueOx Advanta II with BlueOx base plates.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #11

My chevrolet dealer sent me a bulletin that says to shift the transfer case into neutral and disconnect the neg battery cable. Disconnecting the neg battery cable is something new that is not in the owners manual. I tow a 2014 chevrolet high country with a blue ox base plate and Aventa tow bar.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Ronrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronrad View Post
My chevrolet dealer sent me a bulletin that says to shift the transfer case into neutral and disconnect the neg battery cable. Disconnecting the neg battery cable is something new that is not in the owners manual. I tow a 2014 chevrolet high country with a blue ox base plate and Aventa tow bar.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Interesting, i see no reason to disconnect as the ignition is off.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #13

My understanding is that due to the electric assisted steering, the negative cable must be removed. More than likely the steering is only one aspect, the sheer number of electronic innovations would probably kill a battery within a city block without the engine running. Perhaps a Roadmaster battery disconnect is the answer to not removing the cable. That said there is still a problem if any power is needed from the toad for the braking system.

Also the instructions from GM seem incomplete as they have the transmission in Park with no further instruction to put it in neutral.

How are you guys that are towing 2014 GM's handling brakes, brake lights and turn signals while towing.
BHEMOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #14

2014 Silverado --anybody flat towing one?

Well I was about to order the Patriot Brake from Blue Ox. Disconnecting the negative battery cable would make the Patriot inoperable.

Tags
tow, towing