RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:55 PM   #1

2015 Cherokee Trailhawk

We have a trail hawk and when we finish towing and start driving the Jeep, the engine light comes on.

The first time it happened we took it to a dealer and they couldnít find anything and cleared the code.

It did again today enroute to a destination after we unhooked however after turning the engine and off 4 times the engine light went off.

Any thoughts what this could be? The battery is charged by the rv.

sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2020, 05:06 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Did they tell you what code they cleared ? That would be an important clue.

https://enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:48 AM   #3

Does your car have the flat tow harness installed and are you following the correct procedure to first place the console switch in the towing position before inserting the underhood fuse to power up the steering system? The purpose of the console switch is to isolate the carís steering system from the CANBUS and prevent illuminating the dash warning light. However, as you have found the light will clear by itself and is not really a problem if it is indeed caused by not following the procedure.
Bikinjim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:44 AM   #4

Tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikinjim View Post
Does your car have the flat tow harness installed and are you following the correct procedure to first place the console switch in the towing position before inserting the underhood fuse to power up the steering system? The purpose of the console switch is to isolate the carís steering system from the CANBUS and prevent illuminating the dash warning light. However, as you have found the light will clear by itself and is not really a problem if it is indeed caused by not following the procedure.
If you are referring to the mopar tow kit to to prevent the death wobble, yes it does have it installed. When you say procedure, I was not aware of a procedure to follow. Yesterday, I flipped the console switch off before removing the fuse.
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridany View Post
If you are referring to the mopar tow kit to to prevent the death wobble, yes it does have it installed. When you say procedure, I was not aware of a procedure to follow. Yesterday, I flipped the console switch off before removing the fuse.
That will give you the CEL! Fuse goes in last, out first.

Funny story...... got distracted one time taking out of tow mode, and realized I’d flipped the switch before taking the fuse out.

When we got I the Jeep next time, the CEL was lit (as I was expecting) and my wife noticed the CEL and panicked. “Oh, that” I said. “That’s because I screwed up taking it out of tow mode, and it will go off soon”, I said in confidence, hoping that was indeed the case, and lucky which it was. I still got grief for a day for screwing it up.

As a side note, Jim, hope you are doing well!
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridany View Post
As D&S said, your pulling the fuse after throwing the switch is what set the CEL light. You have to throw the switch first to tow position and THEN insert the fuse before towing, and then remove the fuse first and THEN throw the switch to normal position after towing to prevent the CEL light from illuminating. The switchís only function is to isolate the steering system from the CANBUS. If the steering system is not isolated, the car will set a malfunction code if the steering system is powered up when the ignition is off which will illuminate the CEL light the next time the car is started. And as I said, itís no big deal if you get the sequence wrong as the CEL light will clear after a few ignition cycles as you have discovered.

Good to hear from you David! We are doing good, just itching to get back on the road again! Hope you are doing the same!
Bikinjim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:02 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, so you are not following the procedure that is in the Owners Manual and the addendum card for the Death Wobble. This is the problem, if you don't do it in the correct order it will give you a light every time.
Also do NOT use the key fob to lock the doors when you are done setting it up, use the door lock button on the door.

Follow the procedure

Tags
cherokee