Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2015 Ford Edge Titanium FWD

Pulling my hair out now.

We've traded in our 2017 CR-V for the car in the title so we have something flat-towable. Trying to dot all i's and cross all t's for safety but am having some problems.

Issue 1: I have three sources for information on flat towing our new-to-us 2015 Edge.
  1. My owners manual says it is flat towable but must disconnect negative battery cable.
  2. Ford Towing Guide for 2015 for the Edge does not recommend disconnecting negative battery cable.
  3. Motorhome Magazine has the Edge listed as flat towable for 2014, 2016, 2017, and 2018. No idea why they skipped 2015 but dealership says it is and many other RV'rs are already doing it so this is actually a non-issue but what the heck?
Who do I believe? Is this car flat towable without disconnecting the negative battery cable?

Issue 2: Disconnecting the negative cable from the battery is near impossible without removing the battery. The negative terminal is tucked way back next to the firewall and is covered by the body under the windshield and I cannot easily get a wrench in to remove the terminal.

Issue 3: If I get the negative cable disconnected how to I get power to my Patriot II auxiliary braking system?
oldSarge98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2019, 12:01 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1) Ford documentation is poor and inconsistent. See if you can find out why they want the battery disconnected, also make sure your engine/transmission can be flat towed. Not all versions are flat towable.

2) A battery disconnect switch in the negative cable will make your life easier.

3) You need to install a 12 volt outlet for the brake system, and it needs to be connected to the battery ground before the disconnect.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #3

I used a battery disconnect. Had to make a special handle it was for my 2006 saturn.
TUCK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:53 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The only thing Ford knows is the owners manual. I think Front wheel drive needs a dolly. Which engine and transmission do you have?

jim
viewfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:45 PM   #5

Ford is really good about making their owners manuals available online:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...userMarket=USA
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldSarge98 View Post
Pulling my hair out now.

We've traded in our 2017 CR-V for the car in the title so we have something flat-towable. Trying to dot all i's and cross all t's for safety but am having some problems.

Issue 1: I have three sources for information on flat towing our new-to-us 2015 Edge.
  1. My owners manual says it is flat towable but must disconnect negative battery cable.
  2. Ford Towing Guide for 2015 for the Edge does not recommend disconnecting negative battery cable.
  3. Motorhome Magazine has the Edge listed as flat towable for 2014, 2016, 2017, and 2018. No idea why they skipped 2015 but dealership says it is and many other RV'rs are already doing it so this is actually a non-issue but what the heck?
Who do I believe? Is this car flat towable without disconnecting the negative battery cable?

Issue 2: Disconnecting the negative cable from the battery is near impossible without removing the battery. The negative terminal is tucked way back next to the firewall and is covered by the body under the windshield and I cannot easily get a wrench in to remove the terminal.

Issue 3: If I get the negative cable disconnected how to I get power to my Patriot II auxiliary braking system?
Bob
I don't like to say this but I think you are going to have to trade for an all wheel drive. Like in (blueridge-fl) link
Front-wheel Drive Vehicles
Alternatively, you can tow your front-wheel drive vehicle with the front wheels off the ground by using a tow dolly, or with all four wheels off the ground using a vehicle transport trailer. If you are using a tow dolly, follow the instructions specified by the equipment provider.
On mine I use the RVi Towed Battery Charger. In 3 years have not had a dead battery even though the Edge is a power hog.
https://rvibrake.com/products/towed-...ant=8804388741

2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Bob
I don't like to say this but I think you are going to have to trade for an all wheel drive. Like in (blueridge-fl) link
Front-wheel Drive Vehicles
Alternatively, you can tow your front-wheel drive vehicle with the front wheels off the ground by using a tow dolly, or with all four wheels off the ground using a vehicle transport trailer. If you are using a tow dolly, follow the instructions specified by the equipment provider.

https://rvibrake.com/products/towed-...ant=8804388741

2 stroker
This is not at all what the link implies. It states that Edges with 2.7L EcoBoost and 3.5L engines can be flat towed and provides instructions.

As an alternative, you can tow the FWD on a tow dolly or the AWD on a trailer.

Edges with the smaller EcoBoost 2.0L engines cannot be flat towed.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
This is not at all what the link implies. It states that Edges with 2.7L EcoBoost and 3.5L engines can be flat towed and provides instructions.

As an alternative, you can tow the FWD on a tow dolly or the AWD on a trailer.

Edges with the smaller EcoBoost 2.0L engines cannot be flat towed.
You are right, here is another link.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...Tgde_May19.pdf
one more
Here is 2015 Ford Edge owners manual. Read the section on towing starting on 232.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #9

I think you will be fine I have an explorer with basically the same drive train , all I did was add a charge wire from coach to keep battery charged because it says to leave it in acc position . And it’s been working fine, just cut of air radio and all acc.
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:39 AM   #10

Store : Remco

It says as long as it isn't a 2.0 or 2.3 ecoboost you are good to go with some rigmarole.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:06 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
It seems that the 2015 edge was the first year that the battery grd needs to be opened to tow. Lots of electric things -- ps pump, transmission gears, parking brake, etc. I do not want any of the above to operate while I'm towing. 6F50, 6F55 trans required. 6F35 can not be towed 4 down. Light module for Titanium and Sport only. Please read about "Recreational Towing" behind a motorhome in the owners manual.

Many ways to power aux brakes with batt grd disconnected. I use a 'jump start 660', some have wired an aux power point.

Many ways to open Batt grd. I use a battery cut off switch like used in a boat.

Jim
viewfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:29 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any product changes will be spelled out in the owners manual, as a retired Ford field senior engineer I know that product changes many times in a production year, I have seen owner manuals in the 8th or 9th printing, do NOT GO BY WHAT IS LISYED ON WHAT IS ON LINE it depends on what the revision level.is. Most Ford with the exception of the 6f 35 can be towed 4 down 6f50/6f55/6f60, I dont know if the 2019 8 speed can be towed 4 down. Again check your owners manual.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford