Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2017, 03:52 PM   #1

2015 Ford Focus

My Focus is towed behind a 2004 Adventurer. It is n the shop for the second time in the last year for transmission related issues. First time the transmission apparently seized coming down a hill just outside Branson MO. 3 months in the shop and a new trans and short block got me back on the road and now a rear main seal has begun leaking, which requires a teardown and almost three weeks in the shop, I hope.
Any comments from other Focus owners?
jim.cooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2017, 09:08 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Was it covered under the 5 year drivetrain warranty? What did Ford say was the cause? The Focus and Fiesta automatic transmissions have well known and documented problems but the issues don't have anything to do with four wheels down towing from what I have read or heard or experienced.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:43 PM   #3

2015 Ford Focus

So far, repairs have been covered under the warranty, but they sure seemed to try and pin it on my towing it, bit when I showed them I followed the manual step by step the dealer backed off, but there is such a demand for the trannies it too 3 month, and now it is in for a rear seal leak and will take almost 3 weeks to get the seal!!!
They never did give me a reason for the tranny failure and engine damage.
Loooking at a Jeep Cherokee when the Focus is finally out of the shop.
jim.cooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply's. I know that their are other incidents out there, would love to hear from them. Appreciate it folks.
vwamsganz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you're still interested in a smaller sized car, the Chevy Sonic can be towed 4-down...auto or manual transmission. It comes in a 4 door sedan or 5 door hatchback. It's been around since 2012 and gets great reviews. Also, the new 2018 Chevy Equinox (FWD only) can be towed 4-down. It's much lighter (by 400 lbs) than the previous generation.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:03 PM   #6

The transmission and motor were totally destroyed. In the rear view mirror it looked like it was on fire, also the wheels locked up and ruined the tires. We are sure that it was properly hooked up and in neutral as required. Ford told us several different things, but the final outcome was non conclusive. Their stance is that we must have done some thing wrong. Hooking it up that morning we double checked everything and that the car was definitely in neutral because we had to push/roll the vehicle to get it in position to attach the tow bar. Ford wouldn't even acknowledge that their problematic clutch and poor performance could have possibly have anything to do with it. Even though we have found several instances on the net where in fact this also happened to other toads, and oddly enough in most of those cases ford did in fact cover it under warranty. We just found out that we have been flagged and ford will not discuss it further, because some where in our conversations an attorney was mentioned. So we never really talked to some one at a higher level. To bad because we now have new info disproving some of their earlier findings.
vwamsganz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford