Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2023, 03:16 PM   #1

2015 Jeep Cherokee DEATH WOBBLE

I have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee and tow it behind a 2021 Newmar Kountry Star 3709. I have had the death wobble with the jeep and had the Mopar harness put on to deal with the wobble and it has worked perfectly. BUT, now after an entire summer towing and using the Mhome and Jeep without a single solitary issue. Came home and a month later I was trying to hook up the Jeep to Mhome and suddenly cannot get the Jeep into tow mode. Anyone out there dealt with this issue?
NewmarKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2023, 04:46 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Probably need more detailed information. Is it a mechanical shifting problem or possibly the neutral button not working?

What steps do you perform to put it into tow mode?
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 05:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewmarKate View Post
I have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee and tow it behind a 2021 Newmar Kountry Star 3709. I have had the death wobble with the jeep and had the Mopar harness put on to deal with the wobble and it has worked perfectly. BUT, now after an entire summer towing and using the Mhome and Jeep without a single solitary issue. Came home and a month later I was trying to hook up the Jeep to Mhome and suddenly cannot get the Jeep into tow mode. Anyone out there dealt with this issue?
Hello, Let the jeep warm up it has a auto high idle that after a while goes from 1,500 RPM to 600 RPM I found out that if its at to high a idle the transfer case will not shift into neutral also when shifting the transfer case out of neutral the clunk sound is much less at the post warm up engine speed of 600 RPM
the sights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 05:18 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been towing my Cherokee for over 7 years and have never had the engine running while I put it into tow mode. Once in tow mode I do start the engine to verify the transfer case is in neutral.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 03:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Probably need more detailed information. Is it a mechanical shifting problem or possibly the neutral button not working?

What steps do you perform to put it into tow mode?
I think it is most likely a electrical problem as the little red light will not stay red only flashes on and off.
NewmarKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 03:19 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds to me like whatever physically shifts the transfer case into neutral is not working. To me, the flashing red light indicates it is trying to shift into neutral, but isnt.
Old 01-15-2023, 05:43 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewmarKate View Post
I have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee and tow it behind a 2021 Newmar Kountry Star 3709.
Specifically, which Jeep Cherokee do you have?

I have a 2015 Trailhawk we occasionally tow and have never experienced the issue you described. Not even the mythical death wobble! If you have a Trailhawk, try engaging the rear locker. If that works, the idiot light on the dash will illuminate, then move forward a few meters, you'll know/feel right away if it's engaged; then disengage locker. Then try to put the T case into neutral, another idiot light will illuminate with a warning message. These things like to be used for more than just neutral. Unfortunately, these electronic transfer cases are just not as reliable as the mechanical t cases on the two Jeep Wranglers I also have which are my preferred choice for towing.

Tags
cherokee, jeep