Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

New toad for us. I keep reading that there is a fix for the Jeep Cherokee but not for the GC. I知 wondering what others are seeing and or hearing regarding this. I知 concerned this issue could affect our grand Cherokee. Talk to parts guy at local dealer and he said the electric pumps for steering are different.

Other GC owners having issues??

Thanks Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2018, 12:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkorn View Post
New toad for us. I keep reading that there is a fix for the Jeep Cherokee but not for the GC. I知 wondering what others are seeing and or hearing regarding this. I知 concerned this issue could affect our grand Cherokee. Talk to parts guy at local dealer and he said the electric pumps for steering are different.

Thanks Jeff
I have a '14 GC. No problems at all. I think it was a later model year that the Grand Cherokees started having the wobble problem.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:41 PM   #3

I have been towing a 2017 Grand Cherokee and no issues with wobble. All my friends tow GCs of various vintages without issues. Haven't heard of many GCs doing this (none to be exact). Prior to '16 they did not have electric power steering, which seems to be the issue with the Cherokee.
f18sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #4

I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee and there are no issues with the death wobble. The power steering is not electric.
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:19 PM   #5

23K miles towing my 2015 Jeep GC, and no issues. Last year of the hydraulic steering (and that's a good thing). Need to make sure you get the Active II transmission. Get the GC limited and it should have everything you need.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:03 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I am so glad to hear this. I was thinking that comtraction just behind the radiator way down low was a electric pump for the steering.
This good news. Thanks. Jeff
Old 10-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks Jeff
We have a 2015 GC Limited diesel Jeep that has been towed for over 40,000 miles. We have had NO problems what so ever towing this vehicle.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #8

According to Chrysler ( I checked this carefully) only the Cherokee and Wrangler have the "death wobble" problem. (Same chassis, different body.)

The Grand Cherokee is a totally different chassis and does not have the "Death Wobble" problem. I tow a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and have had no issues at all.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #9

My post is only to share information. The ELECTRONIC POWER STEERING was installed in the Grand Cherokee during the 2016 model year, and while Jeep/ FCA does not admit to any problems with the steering, the first reported case of the wobble was in October of 2016. Since then, we have over 40 reported cases of the problem.

NOT every EPS GC has reported the wobble, but if it happens, you need to know what to do. Just come to a complete stop, and the wobble will disappear when you start up again. The most common occurrence is making a sharp turn on rough roads.

Just so you know.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:24 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
My post is only to share information. The ELECTRONIC POWER STEERING was installed in the Grand Cherokee during the 2016 model year, and while Jeep/ FCA does not admit to any problems with the steering, the first reported case of the wobble was in October of 2016. Since then, we have over 40 reported cases of the problem.

NOT every EPS GC has reported the wobble, but if it happens, you need to know what to do. Just come to a complete stop, and the wobble will disappear when you start up again. The most common occurrence is making a sharp turn on rough roads.

Just so you know.
Lass,

Thanks for the info. when looking under the hood of my 15 GC I do not see a steering pump connected to any of the drive belts. so I am wondering since it is a late model 15, that it too could have the issue. There seems to an electric pump between the engine block and the radiator. not sure what it does. Jeff
Old 10-09-2018, 05:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Lass,

Thanks for the info. when looking under the hood of my 15 GC I do not see a steering pump connected to any of the drive belts. so I am wondering since it is a late model 15, that it too could have the issue. There seems to an electric pump between the engine block and the radiator. not sure what it does. Jeff

You still have a hydraulic system that uses an electric pump instead of a engine driven pump. In 2016 they switched having an electric motor for the steering assist. This is needed for features such as lane guidance and hands-free parking.
f18sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all the info guys, one less thing to worry about when I'm trying to go to sleep. So glad I bought the GC, its a great rig and as a former Ford guy, I like it. Nice ride and plenty of power out of the v6.

First tow will be down and back to Eugene to get the cracked windshield replaced.

Thanks again to all. Jeff
Old 10-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
On 2014's I have noticed that the V6 units have an electric pump and the V8's have the belt driven pumps.

Tags
toad