Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #1

2015 Jeep JK towing set up

Hi everyone, Well last minute we found a great deal on a JK and decided that this will be our new toad. Im in a pinch to get it set up and Im seeing a LOT of different opinions.

I already have tow bar and base plate.

Im seeing a lot of people like the cooltech wiring harness or the hopkins 56200. The issue Im running into both is that they are both only four pin. How do i factor in the charge line for my patriot axiliary braking. The hopkins wires to the flat four pin and the cooltech goes to the round four pin.

Also I read the jeep manual and it seems like all I need to do is put the transfer case in neutral.

However Im reading that some people disconnect the negative cable....other people pull a fuse. Can some one please outline it for me simply. I am on short time line to get it done. I'd do more reading but IM going in circles
Thanks in advance
Superrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I put transfer case in neutral, put in reverse to make sure it in neutral, turn ENGINE OFF and put trans in park. Don't try to put in park with engine running. I don't remember what harness i have , that was seven years ago. I tow from Rock Hard 4x4 bumper and have M&G air brake. I don' pull a fuse or disconnect a cable. JK is so easy to tow.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't think you'll find a light harness that has an extra wire for the charge line. I have the Mopar harness on my Wrangler but I cut their plastic connectors off and put in a six pin round trailer wiring plug instead. That will give you the extra line you need for the 12v connection. As said, you don't have to pull any negative cables, just hook and go.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #4

For my setup I turn the key on but don’t start the engine. Put the trans in neutral, transfer in neutral, trans in park, release the brake. All after hooking up the towed to the MH. Turn the key off and put it in my pocket. Get out and give the Jeep a push. If it rolls, all is good. I have no need for power to the Jeep as I use a Ready Brake that only requires a cable from the brake pedal to the Ready Brake attached to the hitch/towbar. Easy to setup easy to hookup, fairly fool proof.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #5

I do the easy solution, a 12v jump pack to operate my brake buddy. Just plug the lighter plug of the brake buddy into the jump pack lighter receptacle. Then no issues with needing a charge line. Especially since I have three vehicles I can flat tow. The jump pack has plenty of power for the brake buddy. Just charge it up each night for a couple hours (or less) and it's ready to go the next day.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow