Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2020, 06:04 PM   #1

2015 Kia Soul EV dolly tow question

I am thinking of buying a 2015 Kia Soul EV to tow behind my RV on a dolly. Front wheels on the dolly. I understand that there may be an issue with the rear parking brake. Anyone have info on how to tow and how to address the parking brake?
JohnBassett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2020, 06:56 PM   #2

Download the owners manual for the specific vehicle you wish to tow, it has the latest, most accurate information.
For an overall view of towing capability, this is good: https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/
update: Apparently that guide does not list Kia as towable, in any configuration.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:24 PM   #3

Thanks!

Thanks for the info Ray,IN
Old 01-29-2020, 10:58 PM   #4

Sorry I can't answer your question but after reading this:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/89...age=207#manual

I have lost all interest in a Kia Soul EV even though I love our 2013 Kia Soul +.
The normal, abnormal and emergency procedures re: the electric parking brake looks like a bucket of worms.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:46 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
https://www.etrailer.com/question-305538.html

https://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=906

Hope these are helpful.

Also saw this TSB (attached) which indicates dolly towing is OK.

Seems to be necessary to verify whether the parking brakes on the rear wheels are actually automatically engaged when the vehicle is in park. You may want to go to a nearby mall, then load the car properly on a dolly, move forward several feet to see if rear brakes are engaged. Make sure the emergency brake button is in the off position.

If for some reason the rear emergency brakes were engaged automatically(???? not sure how that could be ???) but if they designed the car that way it would seem that a simply bypass might be available-((( possibly removing a fuse if for some reason the rear brakes were active with a parking brake))))

Reading the manual seems to indicate that one would have to actually physically activate the brakes (p 207-208) by pushing the button and that they are not automatically applied?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kia towing 2015 TSB.pdf (642.9 KB, 15 views)
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:49 AM   #6

You all are great!

After reviewing everything, I must admit. It does seem like a "bucket of worms." I had a Kia mechanic respond to a forum question last night, and it is certain that Kia does not "recommend" any sort of dolly towing. At least not now, as the owners manual clearly indicates that dolly towing is, while not the preferred method, ok. And he wasn't sure, but he thought, that having the switch off would certainly engage the parking brake since that is what it appears that Kia wanted with the software update around 2017 or 2018 that made the owners manual obsolete. Seems the "Park" position didn't hold the car as well as they'd liked. The only other thing he suggested was to, not recommended of course, purchase a code reader that would allow you to put the parking brakes in "maintenance" mode, thus enabling them to be disengaged while dolly towing. Not for the faint of heart. And yes, maybe a healthy heap of that worm bucket. I'll probably take a pass, but I would like to have that car to tow. Want it to drive around town with while not under tow as well. If I buy it and figure something out, I'll let you all know. Take care, John
Old 01-30-2020, 06:04 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe a Prius?

Always good to hear how things turn out so all here can learn what works and what does not!

I've towed my BIL's Prius from Tampa to LaGrange on a dolly no problemo. Thought about one of them?

We used a Honda Hybrid for years and it did OK. But had a lot of problems with the front end and with the transmission on it.

Now tow a 2016 Focus-- 43 mpg (no electric). Does well but was a bad year for transmissions.

The code reader may not be a bad option if you want it badly. I have a small one that stays plugged in to the OBD port on ours and I can read or deal with it at any time from my cell phone? That may work????
Old 01-30-2020, 06:23 AM   #8

My title!

Also, please change my title to Senior Junior member
Old 01-30-2020, 06:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBassett View Post
Can't help with your KIA but...I've towed my manual 2014 Soul about 20K with no problems other than my wife HATES the manual. I was told last week by Remco that a pump would be available soon (month). When a pump is an option I'll probably go that route. Really like the car but tired of hearing her complain about the manual...
Old 01-30-2020, 06:46 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBassett View Post
Only 500,000 more posts and you MAY qualify for that awesome distinction!!!!!
Old 01-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapa1 View Post
Can't help with your KIA but...I've towed my manual 2014 Soul about 20K with no problems other than my wife HATES the manual. I was told last week by Remco that a pump would be available soon (month). When a pump is an option I'll probably go that route. Really like the car but tired of hearing her complain about the manual...
If she loves the car but hates the tranny have her try a Soul Plus with the 2.0L and 6 speed automatic with the sport shift feature. You will never need to worry about acceleration for merging with traffic or heating up your brakes coming down a mountain.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/so-what-do-you-all-do-for-transportation-when-you-get-there-472423.html
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, kia soul ev 2015, tow