Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2022, 11:00 AM   #1

2016 Ellipse 42HD & 2022 Chevy Tahoe 4WD

Good Afternoon All,

We just purchased a 2016 Ellipse 42HD with a 450 Cummins I had a plate put on our 2022 Chevy Tahoe 4WD and have two questions that i am getting conflicting answers for and want to try and verify before towing.

1) We have a braking system that requires a 12V socket, however the 2022 Tahoe does not have the feature for our 12V to stay on - Is the only option to have a 12V added directly to the battery.

2) I read in my 2022 Tahoe manual I can flat tow as long as I put the transfer case in Neutral which I can do no problem - The conflicting part is reading online some people say I have to disconnect my Negative terminal on the battery. The manual does not say anything about this.

Hopefully someone has some answers for me as the Chevrolet dealership does not have a clue or are just ignoring answering the question.

Thanks

Jim
jb8738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2022, 11:48 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 .

Many of the electronic systems in the Tahoe may still be active if the battery isn't disconnected ( speedo may continue to roll up miles, reports from other members about active braking assist still functioning when towing ) .
Shop may not want to answer your question for liability reasons .

My older system is probably completely different , but my ignition has to be on for the trans to be in neutral , so I had to wire a 12 volt outlet directly to the battery along with a charge wire from the coach , and disconnect all chassis grounds from the toad battery , in order to have the aux brake system work and keep the toad battery from going dead while on the road.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:35 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
You Chevy owners manual spells out exactly what you need to do for flat towing. My 2019 all wheel drive equinox battery will deplete itself in about 5 hours running this way. I added a 12v charger in the toad to keep the battery topped off. It works great and the RVI monitor shows the voltage of both the coach and toad while I am running.
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:52 AM   #4

Parking Brake

Bruce,

Yes the manual spells it out, i can get the Tahoe Transfer case in N - the problem is when I hook to the motorhome and plug in as soon as I start rolling it is somehow throwing power back to Tahoe and engaging the emergency brake.

I put in a Roadmaster battery disconnect also.

below are my steps

1) Turn vehicle on
2) Put vehicle in N
3) Hit 2 high 5 times quick and that put transfer case in N
4) Put vehicle back in Park
5) hit the power on/off without foot on brake and make sure Park Brake is off
6) Hit my roadmaster battery disconnect which disconnects battery
7) Hook to the motorhome and plug in
8) start rolling slowly and the Parking brake engages so cannot tow.

Any ideas would be great, Chevy says you can flat tow, but clearly they will not talk to you about it.
jb8738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:14 AM   #5
PKI

Do not know about your vehicle, but our Jeep has an automatic parking brake function. It is a selectable feature that is user controlled in the setup section. I turned the auto set off and check after any battery work to make sure it does not get reset.

Might look at the user manual under brake settings or similar. Would seem that your dealer service could help you with how the parking brake works and is controlled.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy