Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2017, 05:31 PM   #183

I just leased a 2017 Ford Focus. Is it worth the trouble of flat tow with this or just get a tow dolly since the option is to return the car after 3 years?
gc241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc241 View Post
I just leased a 2017 Ford Focus. Is it worth the trouble of flat tow with this or just get a tow dolly since the option is to return the car after 3 years?
It will cost you a bundle for the tow bar, brace assy under the bumper and then tack on the braking system. Around 3K or so.
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:52 PM   #185

Quote:
I would check the lease docs. I would think you are not allowed to modify it by installing it. You might have to return it I. The same condition less just wear and tear.
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:18 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I would check the lease docs. I would think you are not allowed to modify it by installing it. You might have to return it I. The same condition less just wear and tear.
If it is a pure bolt on you probably can do it. Just unbolt and disconnect everything before turning in at end of lease. The lease may explicitely installing a tow bar or towing though.
If you buy it at lease end a moot point.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:53 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
If it is a pure bolt on you probably can do it. Just unbolt and disconnect everything before turning in at end of lease. The lease may explicitely installing a tow bar or towing though.
If you buy it at lease end a moot point.
The install on a Focus is invasive. Cut holes in the frame, use red loktite on the bolts and cut the nose in a few spots.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:45 PM   #188

The MGR say's if it's not a huge hole,no problem. I tend to doubt that. I would think it's better on a dolly.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:44 AM   #189

Jayco Owners Club
I would think definitely a no-no. Cutting the holes in the frame and putting nuts on with permanent locktite will definitely make it difficult to return. The removing part of the grill would require replacing it before return.

If the Mgr. said it was okay have him put it in writing in the contract. Given the expense of the purchase and installation and removal as well as the the chance the mods would be not approved at turn in time. I would not do it.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:22 AM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
It will cost you a bundle for the tow bar, brace assy under the bumper and then tack on the braking system. Around 3K or so.
I tend to agree with 99dart and would add wiring the tail lights, battery disconnect switch, battery charger, etc. I bought the best of everything and went a little over $3,000. And this was doing all the work myself.

You can get a Roadmaster Universal Tow Dolly with Electric Brakes for a little more than half that. Additionally, you can use the Universal Tow Dolly with the next vehicle after 3 years (with the Focus) for no additional investment.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:41 AM   #191

What would be the best lighting setup so as not to damage the paint on the rear? Also, I would assume that a dolly with trailer brakes would be better?
Old 10-31-2017, 05:07 PM   #192

Ford Super Duty Owner
Why would you tow a leased vehicle with all the road rash etc.I would think that
would be not be legal on a lease. A saleman will tell you anything you want to
hear!
Old 11-01-2017, 06:07 AM   #193

Quote:
What would be the best lighting setup so as not to damage the paint on the rear? Also, I would assume that a dolly with trailer brakes would be better?
Brakes are required in most if not all states. There are many sites that list this information, here is one:
State and Province Towing Laws

They have magnetic mounted rear lights, but I have no experience with them if they would scratch the paint. Possibly a thin cloth between magnetic mount and trunk. Also, you could possibly Velcro them inside the rear window.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCar View Post
Brakes are required in most if not all states. There are many sites that list this information, here is one:
State and Province Towing Laws

They have magnetic mounted rear lights, but I have no experience with them if they would scratch the paint. Possibly a thin cloth between magnetic mount and trunk. Also, you could possibly Velcro them inside the rear window.
Think it depends mostly on weight if brakes are required by law. Majority of states it is 3000 lbs for toad. A few less.
The law aside, all other things equal you almost always will stop shorter in a panic stop.
My toad is around 2700 lbs and a 24000 lb class A pulling it. Don't use toad brakes and feel comfortable not doing so. There are downsides to toad brakes from excessive braking, battery drain among others. So you need to make sure it is installed right and tested for proper use.
The lighter and smaller your RV, the more you should consider toad brakes even if legally you don't have to.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow, towing