Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:49 PM   #1

2016 Lincoln MKX Neutral Tow

Does anyone tow a 2016 or newer Lincoln MKX? I am looking at a Reserve AWD with low miles to use as a toad and see in the manual that it is towable when Neutral Tow mode is activated. However, I cannot find Neutral Tow mode to activate it. Are there special steps that will activate this or is this part of a Package that this car may not have?

Any and all help would be appreciated,
Jerry
TurbineGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2022, 10:36 PM   #2

If it’s like all the other FWD/AWD 6 speed autos it should just need to have the shifter placed into N. Our 14 Explorer works that way. Not sure how the shifter works in the Lincoln though?
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 10:48 PM   #3
Decrepit Forum Advocate

I don't tow one and never have but did have a close friend that once used a 2016 MKX as a toad.

Pertaining to a 2016, it's actually not called "neutral tow mode" but rather STAY IN NEUTRAL MODE.

"Stay in neutral mode" is one of the functions of the transmission and I've attached the instructions below on how to activate it. I've also attached the procedure for "recreational towing" from the 2016 owner's manual.

But I'm sure somebody who is currently towing one will chime in to either confirm or correct what I'm saying.

/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Recreational Towing - Lincoln MKX.png
Views:	11
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	370344   Click image for larger version

Name:	stay in neutral mode.png
Views:	11
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	370345  

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 03:25 AM   #4

MKX

We use our 2016 MKX as a toad. Just press N on gear selection. It will prompt you to push it again, then press ok. Pull it for 3 hours then if you are going further start it and let it run in neutral for 30 minutes while younger towing it.. Then you can go back to running it just in tow mode. Even with everything turned off in the car it uses a lot of battery. I ended up running a pretty heavy wire direct from RV engine batteries to car battery. Make sure you have a set of keys or door lock entry code. If battery in the car goes dead while towing it all the doors will lockup? Works fine just a few things you have to be aware of.

safe travels
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:23 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbineGuy View Post
Does anyone tow a 2016 or newer Lincoln MKX? I am looking at a Reserve AWD with low miles to use as a toad and see in the manual that it is towable when Neutral Tow mode is activated. However, I cannot find Neutral Tow mode to activate it. Are there special steps that will activate this or is this part of a Package that this car may not have?

Any and all help would be appreciated,
Jerry
I am the one who sets up our 2016 Lincoln MKX for towing. We have an Air Force One braking system that we use. And I am throwing this in there because we have a friend who uses the Brake Buddy and setting up his MKX for towing was a little different. Not exactly how but it was.
That being said this is the steps that I used every time. It came from our user manual. There is a button on the left side of the steering wheel that you use to select the functions. I ALWAYS wait until I see the NEUTRAL TOW ENGAGED show up in the menu before exiting the car. I then exit the car and lock the doors.
Frances

Enter Neutral Tow mode by doing the following:
1. Put the ignition in accessory mode by pressing the engine START button without pressing the brake pedal.
2. Select Neutral Tow under the Vehicle Settings menu in the information display. See General Information (page 114).
3. Press and hold the OK button to start the neutral tow process.
4. Press the brake pedal and select N on the push-button transmission.
5. Turn the ignition off by pressing the engine START button without pressing the brake pedal.

If the process is completes successfully:
the N on the push-button transmission blinks slowly
NEUTRAL TOW ENGAGED turn ignition off for towing appears in the information display.
Note: If the parking brake is applied, Neutral Tow remove park brake for towing appears in the information display.
Note: Do not exceed 65 mph (105 km/h).
Put your climate control system in recirculated air mode to prevent exhaust fumes from entering the vehicle
Note: Start the engine and allow it to run for five minutes at the beginning of each day and every six hours (or fewer). Shut the engine off and verify that Neutral tow engaged appears in the display before continuing to tow.
Exit Neutral Tow mode, make sure the ignition is on (engine can be on or off), press the brake pedal and select P on the push-button transmission.
If the process is completed successfully, Neutral Tow disengaged appears in the information display and both the instrument cluster and push-button transmission display P.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:12 AM   #6

I ALWAYS wait until I see the NEUTRAL TOW ENGAGED show up in the menu before exiting the car. I then exit the car and lock the doors.
Frances

1. Put the ignition in accessory mode by pressing the engine START button without pressing the brake pedal.
2. Select Neutral Tow under the Vehicle Settings menu in the information display. See General Information (page 114).
5. Turn the ignition off by pressing the engine START button without pressing the brake pedal.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you Journey15, I've seen these instructions (pg 267 & 268 in manual) unfortunately on this car I do not see Neutral Tow in "Settings - Vehicle Settings" on this car. I can put it into Neutral Mode, but the owner's manual states that is for emergency only, restricted to 35 mph and 50 miles distance. I'll be running around to some different dealers today to see what other '16 MKXs are like.
Jerry
Old 07-07-2022, 06:15 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I ALWAYS wait until I see the NEUTRAL TOW ENGAGED show up in the menu before exiting the car. I then exit the car and lock the doors.
Frances

Thank you Journey15, I've seen these instructions (pg 267 & 268 in manual) unfortunately on this car I do not see Neutral Tow in "Settings - Vehicle Settings" on this car. I can put it into Neutral Mode, but the owner's manual states that is for emergency only, restricted to 35 mph and 50 miles distance. I'll be running around to some different dealers today to see what other '16 MKXs are like.
Jerry
Jerry it has to be AWD. They made a FWD in 2016 and that is not towable.
Frances
Old 07-07-2022, 07:52 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by journey15 View Post
I am the one who sets up our 2016 Lincoln MKX for towing. We have an Air Force One braking system that we use. And I am throwing this in there because we have a friend who uses the Brake Buddy and setting up his MKX for towing was a little different. Not exactly how but it was.
That being said this is the steps that I used every time. It came from our user manual. There is a button on the left side of the steering wheel that you use to select the functions. I ALWAYS wait until I see the NEUTRAL TOW ENGAGED show up in the menu before exiting the car. I then exit the car and lock the doors.
Frances

If the process is completes successfully:
the N on the push-button transmission blinks slowly
NEUTRAL TOW ENGAGED turn ignition off for towing appears in the information display.
Note: If the parking brake is applied, Neutral Tow remove park brake for towing appears in the information display.
Note: Do not exceed 65 mph (105 km/h).
Put your climate control system in recirculated air mode to prevent exhaust fumes from entering the vehicle
Note: Start the engine and allow it to run for five minutes at the beginning of each day and every six hours (or fewer). Shut the engine off and verify that Neutral tow engaged appears in the display before continuing to tow.
Exit Neutral Tow mode, make sure the ignition is on (engine can be on or off), press the brake pedal and select P on the push-button transmission.
If the process is completed successfully, Neutral Tow disengaged appears in the information display and both the instrument cluster and push-button transmission display P.
I have a 2016 MKX and this is exactly the procedure from the owner's manual. I've been towing mine since it was new.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 04:35 AM   #9

Forgot not add that once in awhile after towing the check engine light will come on. It will go away after driving for a while. If not just unhook positive battery cable and reset computer.
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 07:46 AM   #10

Flying Butch, I'm curious if your MKX has Adaptive Cruise? nctox and Journey15, same question.

I went on a little research mission yesterday and looked at 4 different MKXs. We live in MN so AWD is the only option for us.. ever

I looked at one Select and three Reserves, all 2016. The only one that had the Neutral Tow feature in Vehicle Settings was a Reserve with Adaptive Cruise Control. The other two Reserves had similar options but did not have Adaptive Cruise Control.

I am curious if your MKXs are Reserve with Adaptive Cruise?
As a technician by trade, I'm driven by curiosity and troubleshooting.

Thanks, Jerry
Old 07-08-2022, 08:42 AM   #11

On my 2017 Lincoln MKX AWD Reserve model, I follow what Journey15 listed in post #5.

My MKX is completely loaded with all the options including Adaptive Cruise, Lane Control, Auto braking etc.

I still have the vehicle but don't tow it anymore as I've switched to a smaller 'toad' since I now have a smaller motorhome.

Safe travels,
Mark

PS. My pic on the left shows the MKX being towed behind the Sprinter.
Mr.Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 07:40 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Flying Butch, I'm curious if your MKX has Adaptive Cruise? nctox and Journey15, same question.

I went on a little research mission yesterday and looked at 4 different MKXs. We live in MN so AWD is the only option for us.. ever

I looked at one Select and three Reserves, all 2016. The only one that had the Neutral Tow feature in Vehicle Settings was a Reserve with Adaptive Cruise Control. The other two Reserves had similar options but did not have Adaptive Cruise Control.

Thanks, Jerry
Mine does not have adaptive cruise control. I seem to remember that was a problem for installing a Blue Ox base plate. Not sure if I'm correct about that.
It was a few years ago.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 07:43 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks, Jerry
Ours does not have selective cruise.
Frances
Old 07-09-2022, 10:32 AM   #14

My 2017 has the Road Master baseplate and Air Force supplemental braking system.

When I bought the MKX, I didn't realize that some of the features might affect the installation so I lucked out, I just knew that the model was 'towable' version.

I have the front camera system too and when I turn it on, the Lincoln emblem pops out as the camera lens is at the bottom of the emblem.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow