Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:51 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
2016 Lincoln MKX tow lights

Just purchased a 2016 Lincoln MKX since it can be flat towed. Now I find out Blue Ox makes a baseplate but they say the there is not tail light wiring kit. They state I need a light bar. Does anyone know a why to use the led tail lights and not need a ligh bar?
dsellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
dsellman-

Here's a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts with the terms "Lincoln" and "MKX" in them. This particular post may be of interest.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #3

We are having the same issue with our 2016 Lincoln MKX. Apparently the Hopkins RM15267 diode wiring harness cannot be used with led tail lights which DH confirmed with Hopkins. For us the light bar is not a good solution. How did some of you with 2016 Lincoln MKX toads wire your toad tail lights to your RV? Has anyone found another solution?
charperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:19 PM   #4

My daughter 2016 Ford Edge Titanium has LED lights also and they had it set up to tow, this may help.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/ford-...um-313133.html
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:54 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
My installer came up with a very nice solution for me. He glued a couple of LED strips used on motorcycles to the outside of the tail lights and ran the wire through the light sealing gasket. This why the running and turn signal light come from the MH and have nothing to do with the toad. The brake light activate on the toad as normal when the SMI brake controller presses the brake pedal in the toad.
I'd love to upload a picture of the installation but cannot figure how to attach the picture from my desktop
dsellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:50 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
i used a light bar on my MKX with no problems. i still use it as backup on my Jeep. i am not happy unless i have at least 2 of everything.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:57 AM   #7

2016 Lincoln

Just got one. I talked to rep at blue ox. He said if I have one wire going to tail light their wiring kit would work. Haven't been able to find out how many wires I have. Anyone know?

Happy Thanksgiving every one
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:31 AM   #8

I try to keep things simple and non-invasive. I've been using these on multiple vehicles for years. They fit under/over trunk lids or on tailgates. Wire thru the car or under the car.

And ... under $40 ... under $20 extra if you need a wiring extension .

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wir...er/EZT20B.html
Old 11-24-2016, 08:45 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use one of these. They are made for towing companies to use when they pick up vehicles. We just set it in the rear window and plug the transmitter into the jack on the rear of the MH.

Works great and no rewiring our vehicle.

https://www.mfrexpress.com/lime-ligh...FQ-dfgod0ggDQQ

Towmate Wireless LED Tow Lights With Amber Turn Signals
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
2015/2016 Ford Edge or Lincoln MKX tow light wiring

Not to be a naysayer but I just bought a 2016 Ford Edge. I know it isn't the Lincoln MKX (we looked at those too but preferred the Edge) but it's 90% the same car.

I researched the heck out of this and saw many postings about there is no way to connect to the car's LED lights. That is not true. Most of the posts talk about Blue Ox said it can't be done but I think they connect their systems to the front of the car wiring system and the digital bus in the Ford/Lincoln doesn't lend itself easily. Then I read several posts where various Forum members took their 2015/2016 Edge/MKX and said a clever installer did it fine.

What I found is I ordered 4 of the Roadmaster three prong diodes and followed their instructions. I located the diodes on the back of my tail lights and ran the connections to the front. I chose a "4 wire" light system from my RV because I also tow a Jeep. (Grnd, Left/stop, right/stop, tail lights). If you wire your vehicle to use a "5 wire" system you'll require a 5th diode. (Grnd, Left, Right, stop, tail lights). My lights work great. The red left and right turn signals also act as the brake lights. The 2015/2016 Edge/MKZ are wired considerably different than previous year vehicles but in the end the lamps on the back will work fine with tail mounted diodes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7144.JPG
Views:	1419
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	145151   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7184.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	145152  

hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
Not to be a naysayer but I just bought a 2016 Ford Edge. I know it isn't the Lincoln MKX (we looked at those too but preferred the Edge) but it's 90% the same car.

I researched the heck out of this and saw many postings about there is no way to connect to the car's LED lights. That is not true. Most of the posts talk about Blue Ox said it can't be done but I think they connect their systems to the front of the car wiring system and the digital bus in the Ford/Lincoln doesn't lend itself easily. Then I read several posts where various Forum members took their 2015/2016 Edge/MKX and said a clever installer did it fine.

What I found is I ordered 4 of the Roadmaster three prong diodes and followed their instructions. I located the diodes on the back of my tail lights and ran the connections to the front. I chose a "4 wire" light system from my RV because I also tow a Jeep. (Grnd, Left/stop, right/stop, tail lights). If you wire your vehicle to use a "5 wire" system you'll require a 5th diode. (Grnd, Left, Right, stop, tail lights). My lights work great. The red left and right turn signals also act as the brake lights. The 2015/2016 Edge/MKZ are wired considerably different than previous year vehicles but in the end the lamps on the back will work fine with tail mounted diodes.
Thank you hogdriver, your post is greatly appreciated. We just bought a new 2016 Lincoln MKX and want to wire the system so as to keep the toad looking good. IE: Blue Ox base plate etc. We are also wanting to install the Invisibrake system as well, is that what you use, or something different? Thanks again, I will be wiring mine like you did.
Roy Somers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, tow